Page owner: Training director
How to get help
Our office staff are abiding by current regulations and working from home. This means responses to your enquiries may take longer than usual. We ask for your patience during these difficult times.
- The staff are working as fast as possible through membership renewals, upgrading, guide and course orders, and other queries, but please expect to wait up to 10 days for a response.
- Any requests for course extensions will be honoured.
- Please read this list of FAQs before you contact us – we may have already answered your question!
Our directors are here to help you, too.
- For queries about the CIEP’s local and special interest groups, volunteering and recruitment advertising, email Vanessa Plaister, community director, at [email protected].
- For help with training courses, email Jane Moody, training director, at [email protected].
- For membership enquiries, email Sue Browning, membership director, at [email protected].
- For questions about upgrades, email Lucy Metzger, professional standards director, at [email protected].
- For problems accessing the website or forums, email Richard Hutchinson, the digital services director, at [email protected].
One of the major aims of the CIEP is to help editorial freelancers and in-house staff to improve and develop their skills. CIEP courses cater for the whole range of experience, from beginners to established editors who need to update and extend their existing skills.
Attending training courses and taking part in mentoring can count towards Professional and Advanced Professional Member status (see membership grades). New Entry-Level Members and any member that upgrades to the next level of membership are entitled to a training voucher worth £25 to help defray the costs of one CIEP course.
The Institute also runs a mentoring scheme for those who have already completed some training in proofreading and/or copyediting.
Core skills training
Our two suites of core skills training courses in proofreading and copyediting are designed to introduce you to the skills and knowledge that you will need to work in the profession and take you through to full competence.
Click on a suite name for more information.
We are introducing a curriculum for training. Read more about it and send us your feedback.
Book a course and more
You can find out more about our courses on the following pages.
- Proofreading core skills training
- Copyediting core skills training
- Editorial skills training
- Online course booking
- In-house courses
- Course fees
- Booking terms and conditions
- BSI symbols
- Promoted courses (members only)
See also our list of publishing courses in higher and further education.
Members receive a considerable discount on the price of our training courses, so if you are not a member and are thinking of taking any of our courses, you will find that joining us will save you money. Anyone can take any of the CIEP's courses, but if you are not a member you will have to pay the full non-member fee for a course.
Already registered for a course?
Log in here with your CIEP training username and password to access your course.