The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), formerly the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP), is a non-profit body promoting excellence in English language editing. We set and demonstrate editorial standards, and we are a community, training hub and support network for editorial professionals – the people who work to make text accurate, clear and fit for purpose.
Looking for an editor or proofreader?
The Directory of Editorial Services provides contact information for more than 700 CIEP members, plus details of the skills, subjects and services they offer. Find an editor or proofreader now.
Training in editing and proofreading
Our workshops and online training courses will give you the skills you need to become a better editor or proofreader.
Our three-level proofreading course will get your career off to a solid start, teaching you the core knowledge and practical skills needed to successfully work as a proofreader in the publishing industry and beyond. Take the levels individually, or work your way through all three – 15 upgrade points awarded on successful completion of all three courses.
P1: Introduction | P2: Headway | P3: Progress
Welcome to the CIEP
A CIEP COMMITMENT TO ANTI-RACISM
As editors and proofreaders, there is so much that we can each do to make space for and amplify voices that have historically been and continue to be marginalised and silenced.
As we draw to the end of a week of action centred on the US but exposing structural racism that is no less evident here in the UK and which resonates worldwide, the CIEP Council:
- commits to continuing action to ensure that CIEP spaces are inclusive of and safe for our BAME members and members of colour
- commits to exploring and dismantling the barriers to participating in our profession that face BAME editors and proofreaders
- commits to advocating for and modelling inclusive language, and delivering content that supports our members in doing the same
- commits to seeking out and amplifying BAME voices and the voices of editors/proofreaders of colour worldwide
- commits to supporting BAME members and members of colour in conceiving of and implementing ideas that can drive change within the CIEP.
Sabine Citron, chair
Sue Browning, vice chair and membership director
Hugh Jackson, vice chair and professional standards director
Jane Moody, vice chair and training director
Denise Cowle, marketing director
Beth Hamer, conference director
Margaret Hunter, information director
Richard Hutchinson, digital services director
Lucy Metzger, external relations director
Vanessa Plaister, community director
Martin Walker, organisational director
CIEP online conference 2020
Conference booking is now open
Join us online via Zoom Webinars from 2 to 4 November 2020 for the first virtual CIEP conference. The conference is an opportunity to explore new skills and ideas and will also offer networking sessions and a quiz.