The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), formerly the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP), is a non-profit body promoting excellence in English language editing. We set and demonstrate editorial standards, and we are a community, training hub and support network for editorial professionals – the people who work to make text accurate, clear and fit for purpose.
Looking for an editor or proofreader?
The Directory of Editorial Services provides contact information for more than 700 CIEP members, plus details of the skills, subjects and services they offer. Find an editor or proofreader now.
Training in editing and proofreading
Our workshops and online training courses will give you the skills you need to become a better editor or proofreader.
Our three-level proofreading course will get your career off to a solid start, teaching you the core knowledge and practical skills needed to successfully work as a proofreader in the publishing industry and beyond. Take the levels individually, or work your way through all three – 15 upgrade points awarded on successful completion of all three courses.
P1: Introduction | P2: Headway | P3: Progress
Welcome to the CIEP
A statement of solidarity from the CIEP Council, 2 March 2022
Like millions around the world, the Council of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) has been shocked and deeply saddened by the Russian government's attack on Ukraine and its people.
The CIEP Council stands in solidarity with the Ukrainian Publishers and Booksellers Association, and we support the statement made by the Russian Alliance of Independent Publishers and Book Distributors.
The CIEP is a UK-based professional association with a worldwide membership. Our members work with publishers and writers globally. We therefore know well the importance of the fundamental right to think, speak and write freely, and commend the courage of the editors and proofreaders of Ukraine and Russia in saying, against a background of provocation and threats: Not today, not on our watch.
By confronting the words of intolerance and by fighting the war against disinformation, they have earned our utmost respect.
The CIEP Council commits to:
- Avoiding business with representatives or supporters of the current Russian regime for the duration of its aggression towards Ukraine
- Providing our members with information about what they can do to support Ukraine and its people.
We recognise the limits of our influence, and we believe all organisations and individuals must act according to their conscience and values at times like this.
A statement by the CIEP Council and THE CIEP Anti-Racism Working Group, 13 August 2021
- As a UK chartered body representing an international membership of editors and proofreaders, the CIEP stands with, and condemns the racist abuse of, the authors of colour who have highlighted slurs, stereotyping and other problems in Kate Clanchy’s book Some Kids I Taught and What They Taught Me.
- The CIEP is committed to doing whatever it can to help dismantle systemic barriers faced by writers of colour, and by those of other backgrounds and identities too often still marginalised and underrepresented in publishing. Challenging books and other published materials that perpetuate racism and other misrepresentations and stereotypes, intentionally or otherwise, is a vital part of that.
- Editors and proofreaders can play an essential role in this. We are intermediaries between authors and their anticipated readership. We can highlight potentially harmful or problematic language and depictions, suggest alternatives, and alert publishers to the damage they do if they allow such things to get into print.
- The CIEP is striving to provide resources and other support to enable our members to edit consciously and inclusively, to ensure diversity among editors is recognised as a strength, and to empower editors of colour to be heard, alongside writers of colour, in and beyond the publishing industry.
To find out more about where we stand, take a look at our ongoing equality, diversity and inclusion work.
LONDON BOOK FAIR, 12–14 MARCH 2024
The CIEP will once again have a presence at the London Book Fair held at Olympia London, one of the biggest events in the global publishing calendar. We’re looking forward to the opportunity this brings to promote all that we do, network with contacts in the publishing world and meet up with those of you who are attending. We hope to encourage some new members to join too!
As well as meeting potential clients, the book fair can be an opportunity for members to get together with friends and colleagues. Members can use the forums to find other members to travel with, or catch up with for coffee when you’re there.
MEDICAL EDITING AND HEALTH EDITING COURSES
The revamped Medical Editing course is now available via our online learning platform. It has been expanded to include several brand new units on health editing, covering:
- information for patients and users of health care services;
- corporate content;
- guidance and support for professionals working in the health sector.
These units are also available as a stand-alone Health Editing course – perfect for editors working in the health sector but without the background in medical science.
Find out more about the courses: