The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), formerly the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP), is a non-profit body promoting excellence in English language editing. We set and demonstrate editorial standards, and we are a community, training hub and support network for editorial professionals – the people who work to make text accurate, clear and fit for purpose.
Looking for an editor or proofreader?
The Directory of Editorial Services provides contact information for more than 700 CIEP members, plus details of the skills, subjects and services they offer. Find an editor or proofreader now.
Training in editing and proofreading
Our workshops and online training courses will give you the skills you need to become a better editor or proofreader.
Our three-level proofreading course will get your career off to a solid start, teaching you the core knowledge and practical skills needed to successfully work as a proofreader in the publishing industry and beyond. Take the levels individually, or work your way through all three – 15 upgrade points awarded on successful completion of all three courses.
P1: Introduction | P2: Headway | P3: Progress
Welcome to the CIEP
A CIEP COMMITMENT TO ANTI-RACISM
As editors and proofreaders, there is so much that we can each do to make space for and amplify voices that have historically been and continue to be marginalised and silenced.
As we draw to the end of a week of action centred on the US but exposing structural racism that is no less evident here in the UK and which resonates worldwide, the CIEP Council:
- commits to continuing action to ensure that CIEP spaces are inclusive of and safe for our BAME members and members of colour
- commits to exploring and dismantling the barriers to participating in our profession that face BAME editors and proofreaders
- commits to advocating for and modelling inclusive language, and delivering content that supports our members in doing the same
- commits to seeking out and amplifying BAME voices and the voices of editors/proofreaders of colour worldwide
- commits to supporting BAME members and members of colour in conceiving of and implementing ideas that can drive change within the CIEP.
Sabine Citron, chair
Sue Browning, vice chair and membership director
Hugh Jackson, vice chair and professional standards director
Jane Moody, vice chair and training director
Denise Cowle, marketing director
Beth Hamer, conference director
Margaret Hunter, information director
Richard Hutchinson, digital services director
Lucy Metzger, external relations director
Vanessa Plaister, community director
Martin Walker, organisational director
HOW TO GET HELP
Our office staff are abiding by current regulations and working from home. This means responses to your enquiries may take longer than usual. We ask for your patience during these difficult times.
- The staff are working as fast as possible through membership renewals, upgrading, guide and course orders, and other queries, but please expect to wait up to 10 days for a response.
- Any requests for course extensions will be honoured.
- Please read this list of FAQs before you contact us – we may have already answered your question!
Our directors are here to help you, too.
- For queries about the CIEP’s local and special interest groups, volunteering and recruitment advertising, email Vanessa Plaister, community director, at [email protected].
- For help with training courses, email Jane Moody, training director, at [email protected].
- For membership enquiries, email Sue Browning, membership director, at [email protected].
- For questions about upgrades, email Lucy Metzger, professional standards director, at [email protected].
- For problems accessing the website or forums, email Richard Hutchinson, the digital services director, at [email protected].