Environmental values – where we stand
The CIEP recognises that it operates in a globalised marketplace, where its own and its members’ actions have an impact on climate and the biosphere. We’re working on minimising the adverse environmental impacts of our operations and supporting members to do the same with their own.
Take a look at the following resources to discover more about our values and how we’re championing good practice.
The CIEP Environmental and Energy Policy
This is the framework that underpins our environmental values journey. It contains a statement about our commitment to implementing an Energy and Environmental Management System (EEMS) and includes examples of how we might seek to manage operations in ways that are environmentally sustainable, economically feasible and socially responsible.
Read the Environmental and Energy Policy
Discover the CIEP knowledge bank
We’re building a bank of resources to help members understand some of the key issues and concerns in relation to the environment. We’ll be adding to this page on an ongoing basis so don’t forget to bookmark it!
Text version of the infographic: 15 ways to make your editorial business more eco-friendly.
- A week in the life of a sustainability proofreader (blog post)
- A–Z of useful environmental terms for editors (online glossary)
- Climate crisis: what can we do? (blog post)
- Flying solo: The environment – a matter of give and take (blog post)
- Forum matters: Going green – how we can all play our part (blog post)
- How to reduce the environmental impact of your editing business (fact sheet forthcoming)
- The CIEP: getting together again – in person and online (blog post)
- The CIEP's Environmental Policy Working Group (blog post)
- The Edit No.10: Editing and the environment (newsletter - members only)
- What does eco-anxiety mean to you? (blog post)
- What's e-new? How green is my computer? (blog post)
Contact the information director
Environmental Policy Working Group (EPWG)
Our Environmental Policy Working Group (EPWG) is a group of members who came together to help us put the CIEP’s commitment to good environmental practices into action.
The group works tirelessly to guide the Institute on how to move forward. In 2021 it drafted the Environmental and Energy Policy 2021, which was overwhelmingly approved at the AGM.
The EPWG steers Council on ethical and sustainable operational practice and works with the communications and information teams on creating and delivering resources that help members understand the language of environmental issues and effect sustainable change in their editorial business practices and beyond.
Abi Saffrey, information director, acts as a link between the group and the Council, supporting them as they turn ideas into action.
To find out more about the group’s work and how you might get involved, contact Abi.