The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) is a non-profit body promoting excellence in English language editing. We set and demonstrate editorial standards, and we are a community, training hub and support network for editorial professionals – the people who work to make text accurate, clear and fit for purpose.
We aim to be:
a recognised authority on editing and proofreading in English
a supportive community for editorial professionals who are working to high standards
a trusted source of advice, information, best practice, training and qualifications
the place to find professional editorial services
We have around 3,000 editorial professional members in the UK and beyond, with a growing international membership, who work for a wide range of clients – publishers, businesses, government and other organisations, academic institutions and authors. We formed in 1988 and were known as the Society for Editors and Proofreaders before being awarded our Royal Charter in 2019.
The Institute provides training and professional qualifications, and publishes the online Directory of Editorial Services provided by its members. The members communicate with each other via a number of popular membership-only forums, a growing repository of the Institute's collective wisdom and experience, and the Institute publishes regular resources for members and the public.
Find out more about the Institute:
- Meet the team
- CIEP directors and staff, what they are responsible for, their forward planning and the dates of their meetings
- Frequently asked questions about copyediting and proofreading
- Advertising through the Institute
- The documents by which the Institute is governed, and others that it has developed to further its aims, plus annual reports and accounts
- Judith Butcher Award
- Established in 2011, this award is intended to identify not only members who have made highly visible contributions to the SfEP and CIEP, but also individuals who have made important but perhaps less obvious ones
- Honorary members
- People the SfEP has honoured since 1988
Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading
176 Upper Richmond Road
London SW15 2SH
t: 020 8785 6155
Company number RC000906
VAT registration number 341 8333 14