Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is suitable for experienced copyeditors who already know how to edit, but would like to streamline their methods, save time and take firmer control of their work.
To edit efficiently you need strategies and tactics for using existing skills to maximum benefit.
This course assumes competence and experience in copyediting and concentrates on planning and carrying out editorial tasks.
Its focus is books, but the ideas discussed can be used in editing any and every kind of material.
The starting point of the course is the assumption that time and money are always limited. Copyeditors are increasingly required to determine for themselves how to produce the best possible publication in the time available.
The course aims to help editors to:
- reflect on their working methods and determine how to improve them
- use their experience and expertise to take control of their work
- prepare, plan and carry out their work to an appropriate standard
- adapt their approach flexibly to the demands of each job
- harness Word to streamline their editing and increase efficiency
- systematise and improve their record-keeping
What you should know after the course
You should understand:
- how to analyse and record the editorial work to be done on a script
- how to plan the edit and tackle it methodically
- how to prioritise the demands of a text and compromise with 'perfection'
- how to use Word to improve the mechanics of your editing
- how to keep work records that will support good editing and feed into future work
Availability, prices and upgrade points
We are currently running this course as a series of four live webinar sessions (one session per week).
Each session lasts a maximum of 2 hours, including small-group discussion in breakout rooms. There are homework exercises to complete after sessions 1, 2 and 3.
Maximum of 16 participants per course.
February 2021: 2, 9, 16, 23 (each session starts at 10.30am GMT)
|CIEP upgrade points||3|
Other price discounts are available. See the fees page.
4 × weekly 2-hour sessions, plus time to complete pre-course questionnaire and homework after sessions 1, 2 and 3.
Webinar course programme
|Length of course: 8 hours + homework time||CIEP upgrade points: 3|
Pre-course questionnaire on working methods: sent to participants in advance of course for completion.
Session 1: reflection on current working methods; analysing a brief; doing the ‘best job possible’
Session 2: interrogating a brief; features of a text; analysing a project
Session 3: analysis of analysis (!); generic editing; harnessing technology
Session 4: discussion of final project; reflective discussion of editing practice/Q&A session