Hi, thank you for visiting my CIEP profile. I currently work as an editor in-house and am not available for freelance projects.
I have worked as a copy-editor and proofreader since 2007 and it’s always been a happy love affair. Working in academic publishing has taught me that every journal paper, book and report is a product of considerable effort and emotion, and that every author wants their work to communicate something – whether that be their research, experience or guidelines for best practice. As a copy-editor, I’ll work with you to help that message be clear, engaging and delivered in your own voice. As a proofreader, I’ll make sure that nothing distracts from it, that there are no typos, no missing page numbers and no misspelt contributors’ names.
I understand what happens in a journal production team, because I cut my editing teeth on the journals of the Royal College of Psychiatrists – The Psychiatric Bulletin, The British Journal of Psychiatry, Advances in Psychiatric Treatment and BJPsych Open. For a time, I was also the English-language copy-editor of Archives of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy. I was the person who edited papers which our peer reviewers had accepted for publication. We were a small office, so if you had your work published in any of those journals in the past decade or so, chances are, I edited it! I know what journals look for in the papers they publish and what’s more likely to get your work noticed.
From May 2020, I've been working at The Health Policy Partnership, an organisation that looks for solutions to problems faced by healthcare systems around the world. The work I edit is used by policymakers, patient advocates and others to influence governments and make that change happen. As a freelancer, I copy-edited and proofread books, journal papers and course materials, mainly in the area of mental health, but also sociology and translation. One of my most cherished freelance projects has been copy-editing and proofreading anthologies of contemporary Kazakh prose and poetry, translated into English for the first time. Although a slight departure from my usual non-fiction work, it was a wonderful reminder that literature is the soul’s closest sister.
- Mental health and wellbeing (psychiatry, psychology, cognitive science, psychotherapy, complementary therapies, counselling, community care, health and social care)
- Scientific writing
- Social sciences
- English literature (general, modern, post-colonial, literature in translation)
- Literary studies (comparative literature, literary criticism, literary theory)
- English language (grammar, syntax, usage, writing skills, English as a foreign/second language – EFL/ESL)
- Trauma writing (WWII, the Gulag, the Holocaust)
- Menus (restaurants, bars, events)
MA (Hons) English Literature and Language
Copy-editing, proofreading, rewriting, typesetting, page design/layout, plain/clear English, literature in translation, EFL/ESL editing, editing non-native English, editorial consultancy (team skills, processes)
- Books – monographs, multi-author publications (non-fiction), journal papers, company literature (reports, newsletters), guidelines (policy, healthcare), course materials (presentations, teacher's notes, handouts), bar and restaurant menus
- Editing in Word, Google Docs
- PDF markup, BSI symbols, PPTs, hard copy
Editor at The Health Policy Partnership since 2020; freelance copy-editor and proofreader 2014–2020; Editor at the National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health 2018–2020; Editor at the Royal College of Psychiatrists 2007–2017; Editorial Intern at Hurst Publishers, 2007
- Storytelling for NHS Communicators (NHS England & NHS Improvement) – 2019
- WordPress (online course) – 2018–2019
- Plain English (Plain English Campaign) – 2019
- Advanced Copy-Editing (Publishing Training Centre) – 2018
- Rewriting and Substantive Editing (Publishing Training Centre) – 2018
- Microsoft Office 365 for End Users (QA) – 2017
- Microsoft Word Level 3 (Laidlaw and Constable) – 2016
- Digital Design: An Introduction (Chelsea College of Arts) – 2015
- CIEP conferences (2018, 2020), ACES editing webinars, literature on editing
- Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England
- Mental Health UK
- The Health Foundation
- Cambridge University Press
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Inception Group
- Archives of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy
- De Gruyter
- The Institute of Literary Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences/Peter Lang
- Consulting Partners Hamburg
- Individuals (academics, PhD students)
InDesign, Photoshop, Word, Acrobat Professional
It has been our pleasure to work with Kasia as copy-editor for our recent book. She is meticulous and proved to be gifted in identifying ways to improve the clarity of our writing. We recommend her services whole-heartedly.
Vikram Patel and Charlotte Hanlon, authors of "Where There is No Psychiatrist", 2nd edn
Kasia is an outstanding editor and was a joy to work with at every stage. All her suggestions were very helpful and greatly improved the text. She is a rare jewel.
Agnieszka Kołakowska, writer and translator
I just wanted to thank you for your excellent work. I have really appreciated your willingness to adapt and be flexible, particularly with the changing nature of the materials and have found all your mark ups to be really thorough and clear for the designer.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England, Product Development Team
Kasia is a very capable, thoughtful and conscientious copy-editor. She has an excellent grasp of style and syntax, and is sensitive to the aims of the text in relation to page layout and design.
Andrew Powell, author of "The Ways of the Soul. A Psychiatrist Reflects: Essays on Life, Death and Beyond"