Copyediting 1: Introduction
Who is this course suitable for?
This training is for you if you’re thinking about a career in copyediting, if you've been working as an editor for a while but without any formal training, or if you'd like to find out about how to move from proofreading to copyediting.
This course teaches the very basics of copyediting. By the time you’ve completed this live training, you’ll understand:
- the differences between proofreading and copyediting
- how a copyeditor works on various types of text, both non-fiction and fiction
- the types of error a copyeditor is expected to spot and correct
- how to mark those errors efficiently using Track Changes in Word
- some of the common editorial conventions in British and US English and how to apply them effectively
- the basics of dealing with text elements such as notes, tables and illustrations
- an understanding of how to exercise judgement in how much to change and how to communicate effectively with the author on queries or suggestions
- the importance of obtaining sufficient guidance from the client about the work they expect you to do
- where copyediting fits into a variety of publishing processes.
How is the course delivered?
At the end of this course, you will not have sufficient training to start work. We suggest that you consolidate your skills with Copyediting 2: Headway.
Other course features
During the course, you’ll have access to:
- an experienced tutor, and the chance to ask them questions
- homework exercises to help you practise your craft.
It's a good, brief introduction to the subject which doesn't overwhelm or overload.AW
I'm happy with all that was covered in this course. There are more things I would like to learn, such as editing different formats, e.g. tables, or different layouts, e.g. how text and images work in magazines, newspapers, journals, etc. But I'm aware that this is only an introductory course and meant to give us a taste of what copy-editing is.MM
Each topic was covered in enough depth to provide a basic introduction to the different types of publication a copyeditor could work on, without it becoming overwhelming for a beginner.JK
Not only is it logical but also enjoyable.LS-P
Availability, prices and upgrade points
|CIEP upgrade points||3||3|
|Book now||Book now|
Other price discounts are available. See the fees page.