This page sets out the remits of each of the directors who make up the CIEP Council.
- All directors
- Community director
- Conference director
- Digital services director
- Information director
- Membership director
- Professional standards director
- Training director
- Manage their own budgets in collaboration with our external financial adviser.
- Update public information about areas in their remit.
- Meet at least monthly, usually online.
- Discuss issues arising, plan action and make decisions on the Council forum.
- Participate in Council and member-led working groups.
- Lead on structural governance reform at strategic and operational level.
- Steer the legal framework review.
- Liaise with the external financial adviser.
- Assist the head of operations with office matters.
- Lead on governance communications.
- Champion strategy and practical initiatives to promote equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Chair the Institute's annual general meeting and council meetings.
- Partner with the chair on building a structural pathway for governance reform.
- Lead on the Institute’s growth strategy.
- Advise on big-picture marketing initiatives to increase sales and income, and manage the marketing team.
- Act as the Institute’s brand guardian.
- Lead the Council team in the absence of the chair.
- Assist the head of operations and chair with office matters.
- Manage the CIEP’s local groups, including support of local group coordinators in organising meetings and representing CIEP values.
- Support the CIEP’s two Cloud Clubs and the Cloud Club coordinators similarly.
- Develop the CIEP’s range of special interest groups (SIGs), including recruitment and support of SIG coordinators.
- Promote CIEP group membership, for example by publishing Groups News monthly.
- (Jointly with the marketing director) Support the discovery coordinator in delivering CIEP discovery meetings to non-members.
- (Jointly with the digital services director) Build the CIEP’s capacity to moderate its member forums effectively, to include recruitment and support of forum moderators.
- Plan the conference programme, including making arrangements for any entertainment, displays etc.
- Find speakers and liaise with them.
- Liaise with the conference venue regarding all arrangements and details; research and visit potential venues.
- Prepare information for delegates and booking forms.
- Oversee the sponsorship campaign, working with the conference sponsorship coordinator.
Digital services director
- Manage and develop the CIEP website.
- Manage and develop the CIEP forums.
- Manage technical discussions with the CIEP’s IT suppliers, and corresponding action plans.
- Manage all CIEP domains and email accounts.
- Communicate with and manage web content team, forum moderators and other volunteers.
- Lead on strategic thinking about the CIEP’s information provision.
- Advise on content/resource proposals and ideas.
- Assume editorial responsibility for information content published.
- Manage the information team, including giving moral support and reassurance.
- Manage and work with design coordinator to ensure all content published is correct and appropriate.
- Create/maintain guidelines and process resources
- Manage the membership renewal and joining processes, for individual and Corporate Members.
- Oversee the membership database and corresponding reports.
- Run the annual membership survey, survey of lapsed members and other surveys.
- Manage membership benefits with the benefits coordinator.
Professional standards director
- Maintain, publicise and update the CIEP’s editorial syllabus and standards, liaising with BSI and ISO as required.
- Create, update and evaluate editorial tests and develop the CIEP’s range of editorial qualifications.
- Manage the complaints procedure.
- Oversee the update of the Institute’s statutes: Regulations and Bylaws.
- Manage the (anonymous) Admissions Panel, including supervision and recruitment.
- Liaise between the council and the Admissions Panel.
- Ensure the upgrade process is updated as required, in agreement with the council and members of the Panel.
- Respond to queries about upgrading from individual members.
- Organise continuing professional development events on topics of interest to members.
- Create new courses, including commissioning, content and uploading, with the help of online content managers.
- Recruit trainers, induct them and coordinate their work.
- Manage the update of all course content.
- Manage workshops and in-house courses with the help of office staff.
- Manage mentoring, mentors and senior mentors.