This page sets out the remits of each of the directors who make up the CIEP Council.
- All directors
- Community director
- Conference director
- Digital services director
- External relations director
- Information director
- Marketing and PR director
- Membership director
- Organisational director
- Professional standards director
- Training director
- Manage their own budgets, from straightforward ones to large and complex ones such as the conference and training budgets, in collaboration with our finance officer and financial adviser.
- Update public information about areas in their remit.
- Meet for five or six regular council meetings a year, usually in London.
- Regularly contribute to discussions, action plans and decisions on the council forum.
- Occasionally serve on council committees or working groups.
- Oversee the work of staff, directors and volunteers.
- Steer the Institute as a whole, including its strategic plans.
- Liaise with the external financial adviser.
- Chair the Institute's annual general meeting and council meetings.
- Represent the Institute in dealings with external bodies.
- Support the chair and deputise for them as required.
- Liaise with local group coordinators, including those of the International and Cloud Club groups, and support them in their roles.
- Raise the profile of local group membership, for example by collating and disseminating information about local groups and their events.
- Help local group coordinators organise regional events.
- Manage the social media team, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and blog; oversee and develop social media activity; contribute to social media content; liaise with other directors on social media promotion.
- Oversee the coordination of CIEP volunteers.
- Plan the conference programme, including making arrangements for any entertainment, displays etc.
- Find speakers and liaise with them.
- Liaise with the conference venue regarding all arrangements and details; research and visit potential venues.
- Prepare information for delegates and booking forms.
- Oversee the sponsorship campaign, working with the conference sponsorship coordinator.
Digital services director
- Manage and develop the CIEP website.
- Manage and develop the CIEP forums.
- Manage technical discussions with the CIEP’s IT suppliers, and corresponding action plans.
- Manage all CIEP domains and email accounts.
- Communicate with and manage web content team, forum moderators and other volunteers.
External relations director
- With the aim of raising the profile, standards and membership numbers of the Institute, establish and nurture links with
- universities and other educational institutions
- publishers and publishers' organisations
- sister organisations
- professional and governmental bodies.
- Maintain and update the corresponding contact list.
- Oversee the provision of information about membership and about the editorial profession.
- Manage publications and resources, for members and others, and manage the editorial team.
- Oversee updates to the FAQs on the CIEP website.
- Keep the Directors' Handbook, model terms & conditions, Member Handbook, Style Guide and Branding Guidelines up to date.
Marketing and PR director
Raise the profile of the CIEP, notably:
- Promote the benefits of membership.
- Publicise and promote take-up of CIEP training and mentoring.
- Encourage clients to use our members' services.
- Publicise and promote the CIEP conference and other events.
- Look after advertising, press releases, guest articles, publicity materials, media contacts and sponsorship.
- Manage the membership renewal and joining processes, for individual and Corporate Subscribers.
- Oversee the membership database and corresponding reports.
- Run the annual membership survey, survey of lapsed members and other surveys.
- Manage membership benefits with the benefits coordinator.
- Liaise with the Judith Butcher Award Committee.
- Carry out administrative duties for the council as a whole.
- Organise council meetings, preparing agenda, minutes and other relevant documents.
- Organise the CIEP AGM, preparing relevant documents, and any extraordinary general meetings.
- Keep the membership informed of the council's activities via Council News and other outlets.
Professional standards director
- Maintain, publicise and update the CIEP’s editorial syllabus and standards, liaising with BSI and ISO as required.
- Create, update and evaluate editorial tests and develop the CIEP’s range of editorial qualifications.
- Manage the complaints procedure.
- Oversee the update of the Institute’s statutes: Regulations and Bylaws.
- Manage the (anonymous) Admissions Panel, including supervision and recruitment.
- Liaise between the council and the Admissions Panel.
- Ensure the upgrade process is updated as required, in agreement with the council and members of the Panel.
- Respond to queries about upgrading from individual members.
- Organise continuing professional development events on topics of interest to members.
- Create new courses, including commissioning, content and uploading, with the help of online content managers.
- Recruit trainers, induct them and coordinate their work.
- Manage the update of all course content.
- Manage workshops and in-house courses with the help of office staff.
- Manage mentoring, mentors and senior mentors.