|Location||Co Wexford, IRELAND|
|Blog||Letters from an Irish Editor|
Professional attention to your detail
I offer editing, plain English editing, copyediting, proofreading, style guide creation and development, and editorial training services to government agencies, public sector bodies, businesses and publishers. I have excellent project management skills, a strong customer service ethos and a proven track record in meeting deadlines and following a client's brief.
If you think I can help you with your document, I would love to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to read my directory entry.
- Plain English editing
- Creating and developing style guides
- Editorial consulting
- Training delivery
- Government and public sector reports and documents
- Business documents, reports, directories, presentations, newsletters, online material
- Educational materials, distance-learning materials, manuals, guides
Qualifications and awards
- Bachelor of Business Studies (Hons) in Services Marketing
- Institute of Public Administration (IPA) Certificate in Local Government Studies
- Full Member of Ireland's Association of Freelance Editors, Proofreaders and Indexers (AFEPI Ireland)
- Member of Plain Language Association International (PLAIN)
- Aer Rianta's Pursuit of Excellence Award (when employed by the Dublin Airport Authority)
I have 15 years' business research and administrative experience (mostly in the public sector). I set up my editorial business in 2012 and I have:
- provided proofreading, copyediting, editing, plain English editing, project management, picture research, e-book conversion review, style guide development services, and editorial training to a variety of clients, including government and public sector agencies, businesses, publishers and authors
- presented several seminars and workshops, including a 'Marketing Tools for the Freelance Editor' seminar at the SfEP annual conference in 2014; an 'Editing for Authors' masterclass at the Wexford Literary Festival (Ireland); guest speaker on my Local Enterprise Office's 'Start Your Own Business' programme; and presented 'Self-Edit Your Fiction Manuscript' two-day courses as part of the Claire Keegan Fiction Clinic series
- project managed, co-edited and co-authored the parish history Oylegate Glenbrien: A Look Back in Time.
- Plain English for editors (SfEP) 2019
- Writing in plain language (Plain Language Commission) 2019
- Plain English business writing (Plain English Campaign) 2019
- Advanced PerfectIt (Cadman Training Services) 2019
- Practical mark-up of PDFs (SfEP) 2017
- SfEP annual conference (Bedfordshire) 2017
- Writing and editing for the web (Publishing Training Centre) 2016
- SfEP annual conference (Birmingham) 2016
- Rewriting and substantive editing (Publishing Training Centre) 2016
- Editorial project management (Publishing Training Centre) 2015
- Advanced copy-editing (Publishing Training Centre) 2015
- SfEP annual conference (London) 2014
- Grammar plus (Publishing Ireland) 2013
- On-screen editing 1 (SfEP) 2013
- Basic proofreading by distance learning – merit (Publishing Training Centre) 2012
I have worked with government and public sector clients such as:
- Carlow County Development Partnership
- Central Remedial Clinic
- Department of Children and Youth Affairs
- Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
- Enterprise Ireland
- Health Service Executive (HSE)
- Heritage Council
- Irish Research Council
- Meath Partnership
- Mental Health First Aid Ireland
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI)
- Road Safety Authority (RSA)
- SOLAS (Further Education and Training Authority)
- Sport Ireland
- Wexford County Council
I have worked with business and publisher clients such as:
- Crimson Communications
- Divine Mercy Publications
- Drury | Porter Novelli
- Folens Publishers
- FWG Forensics
- Specialty Coffee Association (SCA)
Public sector and government agencies: reports, policy documents, papers, directories, manuals, guides, brochures, information leaflets
Non-fiction: business, corporate, education, training
Microsoft 365, PerfectIt 4, Adobe Reader DC, Dropbox Pro,
I am delighted to recommend Mary McCauley. She has proved to be a very able editor, doing a detailed edit, picture research, artwork co-ordination and all proofreading, proof-checking and collation of author proofs. She has shown attention to detail, flexibility with schedule changes and diplomacy in working with several authors on what was a complicated project. Her good humour in the face of many changes helped make the project an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
Tess Tattersall, editorial manager, Folens Publishers
I would like to express my sincere thanks to you for your outstanding work on the Essential Science Workbook. I have worked with many editors over a long period but you are one of the finest that I have ever met. You took your work very seriously and did a super job reading the manuscripts, getting back to us with queries, suggesting areas for improvement and continually checking and rechecking with us to ensure that everything was perfect. Receiving a manuscript from three different authors is always challenging since each of us is writing independently of the others. However, you managed this very skilfully – like the conductor of an orchestra making sure that we were all in tune with each other! I hope that I will have the opportunity to work with you again.
Dr Declan Kennedy, author, senior lecturer in Science Education at University College Cork
Highly professional, capable, committed to deadlines and pleasant to deal with. Unlike many proofreaders who are ‘self-taught’, Mary has one of the industry’s recognised professional qualifications, and that makes a huge difference to the quality and creditability of her work. She is also very generous in sharing her knowledge about the latest writing style trends and conventions, and she has helped me shape the current style guide for The Market magazine.
Mary Sweetman, editor of Enterprise Ireland's The Market magazine
For the last 10 years, I have run my own marketing, business training and wedding planning companies and a lot of my time is dedicated to writing business blogs, business e-zines, website content and training course content. For the 10 years previous, I worked as a magazine editor and was trained by Reuters in Fleet Street London. I can spot a mistake in other people's work a mile off, (I can't read a newspaper or book without searching for mistakes they have missed!). However, when it comes to my own written work I can't see the wood for the trees. For years, I have churned out work and sent it out into the universe thinking it was okay. When I'd read over it at a later date, I'd spot mistakes here and there so I employed the services of Mary McCauley 'just for reassurance' and I can't believe how riddled with mistakes each of my pieces are! Mary goes through each piece with a fine tooth comb; she is amazingly efficient, always before deadline and thorough. I now feel much more confident about uploading content and sending out material as I get Mary to go through everything for me. An excellent and crucial service if you are serious about your business.
Rosemarie Meleady, business owner
An excellent professional, truly engaged and generous with her expert advice. I found her patient, non-judgemental and very supportive. Keeps to deadline commitments; her insights and suggestions are critically clear.
Declan Jones, independent author
Professional in her approach, fastidious in checking my rather eclectic sources, and painstakingly referenced every point she made.
Trevor Bloom, traditionally published author
Provides a fast, thorough and thoughtful service. Her proofing is exact.
Kevin McDermott, traditionally published author
I hired Mary McCauley to do some copyediting, expecting to get back some minor revisions before publication. Instead, I got back a copyedit that blew me away. Mary is not only extremely thorough, but she's also incredibly talented, and her edits are eye-opening. I can honestly say that I've become a better writer because of her suggestions and insights. Reading one of her edits is like a year of creative writing classes. I would highly recommend hiring Mary to anyone who thinks they have this writing thing licked. She will open your eyes and make you a better writer.
Sam Sisavath, independent author of Amazon bestsellers