|Location||Leamington Spa, Warwickshire|
I help businesses and individuals to create clear, consistent and accurate text. Whether it’s proofreading, plain English services or business writing you’re looking for, I will tailor my services to your needs, your purpose and your readers.
My proofreading service will give you peace of mind. I will use my fresh and professionally trained pair of eyes to give your text a final polish, making sure that it is clear, consistent and accurate. I will mark up amendments in a way that suits your needs. This most commonly means Track Changes in Word or PDF Comments, but I also have accreditation in using the BSI proofreading symbols. If I need to pass editorial decisions back to you, I will do so through clear queries. I can work to your style guide if you have one. The level of my intervention is up to you, and isn’t limited to the traditional definition of proofreading. I am more than happy to do some light editing if this is what you need.
When you are trying to inform the public or get people to do something, the simplest writing is often the most effective. Plain English is not about dumbing down: it is about being clear and straightforward. Whether it’s writing something from scratch or adapting something you’ve already written, I’ll work (usually in Word) to meet your requirements. For online text, I can also contribute to your user testing and quality assurance processes. Together, we can get your words to work hard so your readers don’t have to.
My professional business writing service combines my editorial training with my years of experience writing public sector documents. I will write on your behalf and under your guidance, and the document remains yours at all times. I can bring a fresh perspective to your text, making sure it is well structured, accurate and understood by your intended readers.
I'm very lucky to have such a wide-ranging job!
Here's a flavour of some of the things I've worked on recently:
- Regular proofreading for a global assessment company whose clients are large corporate organisations – proofreading various assessment materials in document form and online
- Working with a health-related charity to develop a set of support and guidance resources for children, young people and families – proofreading and writing
- Proofreading school reports for an independent senior school in the West Midlands
- Proofreading the monthly member magazine for a UK health-related member organisation
- Writing local authority and charity strategy documents, taking input from a wide range of stakeholders and using plain English principles to present it in a readable and usable way
- Various projects for a public sector consultancy, ranging from writing marketing materials and website text to basic data analysis and presentation
- Working with a company that provides technical solutions for the health sector – contributing to project teams as an expert on text
- Various work with small businesses and individuals, including proofreading blogs, editing website text, developing marketing materials and proofreading early drafts of books written by small-business owners
I've been freelance since 2015. Take a look ☝ at some of my recent projects. Before that, I held various planning, performance and commissioning roles at Warwickshire County Council spanning nearly 15 years. I've therefore got a lot of insight into public sector documents (internal and public facing), plans, strategies and tenders/bids, and have carried this through to many of my freelance projects. My particular areas of experience are in children's services, health, education and social care.
✔ Editorial training
- Basic editorial test – 88% (Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading, 2022)
- Introduction to publishing; Adobe tools for editors; Copyright essentials; Editing references (Publishing Training Centre e-learning modules, 2021)
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading annual conference, 2020
- Web editing (Society for Editors and Proofreaders, 2018)
- Basic proofreading (version 5) by distance learning – Merit (Publishing Training Centre, 2017)
- Editing with Word (Society for Editors and Proofreaders, 2016)
- CE1: Introduction to copy-editing (Society for Editors and Proofreaders, 2015)
- Plain English writing for the web (Plain English Campaign, 2015)
- Plain English reports (Plain English Campaign, 2015)
- Plain English design (Plain English Campaign, 2015)
- Brush up your grammar (Society for Editors and Proofreaders, 2015)
- P1: Introduction to proofreading (Society for Editors and Proofreaders, 2015)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management (Public sector management through work-based learning) – Distinction (Coventry University, 2006)
- BA (Hons) Psychology and Education – 2:1 (University of Warwick, 2000)
Lisa has been fantastic at proofreading a multitude of our assessments, helping us to ensure that the quality of any content meets our high standards for language, grammar, punctuation and more. She is adaptable and has worked with various different types of multimedia, from text to video-based content. She is great to work with – always quick to respond to requests and she tries wherever possible to move things around to accommodate sometimes changing requirements. Thanks for your support, Lisa.
Joel Ockwell, Managing Psychologist, Cappfinity
I'm blown away by what you have picked up. Your review has given me so much confidence in our publications and I can't thank you enough for being so thorough and detailed! You are brilliant, Lisa – thank you!
Leena O'Hara, Programme Manager, The Aplastic Anaemia Trust
Thanks for all your help making our new guidelines so much easier to read and digest. Your work took our rambling thoughts and tidied them beautifully into headings and bullet points in a way we just couldn't have done without you. THANK YOU!
Alex Smith, on behalf of NCT Warwickshire Central
As a management consultancy supporting public sector clients with transformation of children's services, we have been working with Lisa at Editwrite since late 2017 on a range of projects. Lisa has supported us with data analysis, benchmarking, compiling reports, copywriting and proofreading and has made a strong contribution to the services we offer our clients. Now a valuable member of our associate team, her professional capabilities and personable approach mean her work is delivered on time, in a structured and organised manner. By using her exceptional writing skills and her keen eye for detail, her work always fits or exceeds our original brief.
Jonathan Wilding, Director & Consultant, FWL & Associates