|Location||LDS Editorial Services, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, UK|
Experienced freelance proofreader, copyeditor and translator (French and English)
Meticulous with details
Adaptable, self-disciplined and reliable
Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading
Member of the Translators Association (part of The Society of Authors)
- Proofreading English and/or French texts
- Copyediting English and/or French texts
- Editing English and/or French texts
- Translating (French to English and English to French), including literary translation
- Translation checking/editing (translation QA)
- Copy preparation (pre-submission)
- References, citations and bibliographies
French and Francophone Studies
French as a Foreign Language
French GCSE and A-level and French IB
Education and Teaching
Eighteenth-Century Studies (Enlightenment)
Critical Thinking and Philosophy
Primary and Secondary Education
Oxford University Press
Oriel Square Limited
Educational Company of Ireland (Edco)
Scholastic – Mary Glasgow Magazines
John Murray Learning
Cambridge University Press
Institute of Development Studies
The Open University on FutureLearn
Trade and Fiction
Gera Solutions Ltd
Scholastic – Chicken House
I also work with private/non-publisher clients.
- International Literary Translation and Creative Writing Summer School (British Centre for Literary Translation, 17–22 July 2022)
- Bristol Translates Literary Translation Summer School – French (University of Bristol, 4–8 July 2022)
- Switching to Fiction (Louise Harmby, December 2021)
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics (CIEP, February 2021)
- Various workshops and seminars at SfEP annual conferences 2009-2022
- Editing for Fiction (SfEP professional development day, June 2016)
- Project Management (SfEP, January 2015)
- Onscreen Copyediting II (SfEP, July 2014)
- Onscreen Copyediting I (SfEP, June 2013)
- Professional Copyediting (SfEP, February 2013)
- Problems with Proofreading (SfEP, June 2010)
- Introduction to Copyediting (SfEP, May 2010)
- Introduction to Proofreading (SfEP, February 2009)
- Rights Selling (Publishing Training Centre, October 2008)
Master II recherches/MPhil in English (Mention Très Bien/First) - Paris III, Sorbonne Nouvelle
Maîtrise d’Anglais/MA in English (Mention Bien/2.1) - Paris III, Sorbonne Nouvelle
Licence d’Anglais/BA in English and Licence de Lettres Modernes/BA in French - Paris III, Sorbonne Nouvelle
I am willing to work with other citation styles too.
I am happy to recommend Laurie. She was professional and thorough as we worked together on a dual language French/English Art eBook with a range of content from pure text to setting out song lyrics and play scripts. Laurie kept in good contact with us as schedules inevitably changed due to the complexity of the content, and this helped ensure that the editorial process ran smoothly.
Alison Norwood, Publishing Manager, Institute of Development Studies
I thoroughly recommend Laurie as a bilingual French-English proofreader. She recently completed the proofreading of an online course for French language learners. The standard of her work was exceptional - she not only spotted errors but made helpful suggestions as regards improvements. She has a keen eye for consistency issues and set out all her recommendations clearly. Throughout the entire project, communication with Laurie was very smooth as she was highly responsive, friendly and accommodating.
Eleanor Moore, Senior Learning Developer, The Open University on FutureLearn
Laurie is a conscientious and meticulous proofreader - she took the time to make sure everything was done to a high standard and thought carefully about solutions.
Keira Moulding, Research and Communications Editor at Oriel Square Limited
Laurie is an excellent and meticulous French proofreader and I have no hesitation endorsing her skills, she is a key member of our French Magazine team at Mary Glasgow Magazines, delivering teen language magazines.
Nicolle Thomas, Creative Manager at Scholastic
I worked with Laurie on a French language school textbook for Irish students doing their Transition Year entitled Revue. I found her to be an excellent editor – meticulous, conscientious, hard-working and patient! It was a pleasure to work with her and I would highly recommend her.
Julie O’Shea, Project Editor, The Educational Company of Ireland
I have known Laurie for some years and frequently noted her determination, reliability and readiness to take on challenging work, so she was the obvious choice when I needed a dissertation to be checked. She was, as I expected, frankly, meticulous and thorough, several times checking back with me to ensure that the citations, always my bugbear, were fully correct and properly formatted. She is perceptive and thoughtful in her approach to her work, fully bilingual in English and French, and an absolute pleasure to work with. Many thanks for all her support.
Gillian M Othen MA (Warwick), 'Outside the “Continuous Tradition”: Shakespeare in North Midland Civic Theatres in the 1966-67 season,' for the Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham
I worked with Laurie over many years whilst at the Voltaire Foundation, specifically in relation to the series ‘Oxford University Studies in the Enlightenment’. Laurie consistently copy-edited and proofread manuscripts and texts to an extremely high standard; she has a keen eye for detail in both English and French, is very clear in her queries, and can swiftly interpret and implement complex house styles. I was very satisfied with Laurie’s work.
Lyn Roberts, previously Senior Publishing Manager, Voltaire Foundation, now Senior Managing Editor, Lion Hudson Ltd
Laurie is a thorough and conscientious proofreader with great communication skills who works well to deadlines.
Sarah (MacBean) Green, previously Senior Commissioning Editor at Hodder Education, now Freelance Publisher and Project Manager