|Location||Saltaire Editorial Services, SHIPLEY, West Yorkshire|
Editing and proofreading for academic authors, independent non-fiction authors, research bodies, businesses and government organisations.
I am committed to making sure your written material is clear, correct and consistent. If you are submitting your document for publication – to an academic journal, funding body or government agency, for example – I will help you to increase the chance your work will be accepted.
Why choose me?
- I am an Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institue of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP).
- I have many years of experience working with multi-language authors.
- I am committed to meeting your deadlines.
- I am friendly, helpful and flexible.
- public policy
- management (human resources, organisational development)
- education and training (particularly vocational)
- labour markets
- employment policy
- regional studies
- healthcare policy
- public relations
- business (management, marketing, organisational behaviour)
- social sciences
International Correspondents in Education:
- ETF (European Training Foundation)
- GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit)
- UNEVOC (International Centre for Technical and Vocational Education and Training)
- ECMDDA (European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction)
World Food Programme
College of Radiographers (UK)
Individual academic authors
- editing English for multi-language authors
- on-screen editing
- on-screen proofreading
- web page/site editing
- web page/site writing
- policy documents
- pre-submission journal articles
- books and book chapters
- magazines and newsletters
- corporate communications
- press releases
- social media
Qualifications and awards
- CIEP Advanced Professional Member
- BA (Hons) English (1986)
- Institute of Health Services Management Diploma (1991)
- Diploma in Copywriting (2010)
Freelance since 1995
- Editing with [Microsoft] Word (CIEP) 2021
- Various workshops and seminars at SfEP/CIEP annual conferences 2009-2020
- Various workshops and seminars at Mediterranean Editors and Translators conferences 2016, 2019 and 2021
- Introduction to web editorial skills (SfEP) 2011
- Brush up your grammar (SfEP) 2005
- Working for non-publishers (SfEP) 2002
- Web editing and proofreading (SfEP) 2002
My feedback on this edit is ‘Excellent’. A real added value on the re-articulation of the messages, clear proposals and comments when there are doubts, as well as a very good overall ‘peer-review’ of the report I would say. So the edit meets my needs beyond expectation and thanks a lot to Helen Stevens for her professionalism.
Expert from an EU agency
Thank you for taking on this work for me. It is a great relief to have a professional both polishing the English and formatting the articles properly for the journals. With you in the production line, the research output of me and my colleagues (particularly me) has been greatly improved.
Professor Dr Glenn Jenkins, Queen's University (Canada) and Eastern Mediterranean University, Institute Fellow Emeritus, Harvard University
Thank you very much for your hard work during the year. It is really great to be able to rely on your top editing skills and total professionalism, plus, of course, that dry Yorkshire sense of humour.
Rebecca Warden, Director, International Correspondents in Education (ICE)
The editor’s comments were very specific, comprehensive and well done, I liked particularly that she spotted in comments all the variations that may have caused troubles or needed to be double checked again. So it was a very good editing I must say, thanks a lot for that. Please pass this comment to the editor, I have rarely seen such a good job.
Feedback from EU agency
Thank you so much. As always, you’ve resolved so much that I’ve missed and I cannot thank you enough.
Dr Robert Thomas, Senior Lecturer, University of South Wales
I've now had a chance to look through your report and am enormously impressed. It's just what we wanted – and more. Thanks so much!
Independent editorial trainer for whom I prepared a marketing plan
I just wanted to say that we have been very pleased with your work – such a high quality. It has been a pleasure working with you, and I hope we can do so again in the future.
University professor overseeing peer-reviewed student research journal
Thank you for all your hard work and, above all, your total reliability. I seem increasingly to spend my time chasing up things that should have been done by others so I don't have time to do my own job! It's a pleasure to work with a professional.
Editorial director, UK publishing company
Many thanks for your terrific work! You caught a number of grammatical and factual errors that slipped right by me. Well done!
Independent non-fiction author