|Location||CHESTER, CH1, Cheshire|
|Mobile||07851 433 505|
✅ Non-fiction copy-editing and proofreading ✅ Business editing
I work with trade non-fiction publishers, and with other businesses such as marketing and consultancy firms. My specialisms include IT, business and sport. I’ve edited or proofread over 40 books, more than 90 business reports and many other items. I’ve had extensive training in both ‘core’ and advanced subjects, and I’m strongly committed to continuing my professional development.
If you think I could help you, please get in touch and tell me what you’re looking for.
Copy-editing for publishers
Using Microsoft Word with Track Changes.
Proofreading for publishers
Marking up PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader (normally using the Comment feature) or PDF-XChange Editor (using stamps for the BSI symbols, or other notation as required).
A flexible service that can enhance a business’s written material, such as marketing content, reports and proposals, by:
- making it clear, concise, readable, consistent and professional
- considering the target audience and its specific needs, along with key business priorities
- eliminating unwanted jargon and business-speak
- reshaping the material into plain English if needed.
I normally either use Microsoft Word (with Track Changes and commenting) or mark up PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader (using the Comment feature), but can also consider other methods.
Style guide deveIopment
I can create or revise a style guide, to help ensure consistency and good practice in your organisation’s written output.
Editing and proofreading
- Books: trade non-fiction (mainly sport, including football and cricket), academic, professional/educational, self-help, fiction
- Business documents: reports, reviews, bids, proposals, guides, personnel profiles
- Marketing material: client magazines, newsletters, emails, social media posts, website content, blog posts, catalogue, menus
- Online training material, staff training guides
- Research papers, articles, presentation and lecture material, student papers
- School reports
- Ongoing revision and updating of a corporate style guide
- Creating a style guide for a publisher
- Review of ‘brand lexicon’ for a hotel chain’s menus
- Eclipse Publishing & Media
- Integra (for Palgrave Macmillan)
- Pitch Publishing
- RefineCatch (for Bloomsbury)
- Swales & Willis (for Taylor & Francis / Focal Press, Routledge)
- Taylor & Francis / Routledge
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
- Wearset (for Taylor & Francis / Routledge)
- Auriel Investors – asset management
- Construction Marketing Experts
- Grist – B2B communications agency
- Harry, Larry + Gary – design agency
- Hartey Wealth Management
- Intuitus – IT consultancy
- Rowan – marketing agency
- TMF Group – business advice
- Various other businesses
- Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS)
- Kelsall Parish Council
- King Edward VI School
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading
- Independent authors | Researchers | Students | Freelances | Jobseekers
I can work with most subjects, but have specialist knowledge of the following:
- Information technology – analysis, computer programming, testing, project management, quality assurance, support
- Sport and its history
- Rock and pop music
I also have substantial experience of editing business material.
Training, CPD and education
- Web Editing (2020)
SfEP (now the CIEP)
- Introduction to Proofreading (2013)
- Introduction to Copy-Editing (2014)
- Proofreading Progress (2014)
- Mentoring for Proofreading (2014)
- Copy-Editing Progress (2016)
- Mentoring for Copy-Editing (2016)
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics (2017)
- Editing Digital Content (2019)
- Plain English for Editors (2019)
- Basic Proofreading – Merit (2014)
- Copy-Editing – Merit (2015)
- Online Content: Writing and Editing Skills (2018)
PRINCE2 (project management)
- Accreditation at Foundation level (2008)
Continuing professional development (CPD)
- Regular involvement in CIEP local groups: attending many meetings, and coordinating the Manchester group for two years
- Frequently using and contributing to the CIEP’s online forums, including two years as an administrator
- Attending each annual CIEP conference from 2015 to 2019
- Reading articles and books on editing, proofreading and related subjects such as plain English
- BSc (Hons) Data Processing – Loughborough University, 1987
I worked in IT for 26 years as an analyst, developer, project manager and team leader, in the transport, financial services, government (US, state-level), telecommunications and retail sectors. My employers were British Rail, Strategic Systems Solutions, Pinkerton Computer Consultants and Capgemini.
I’m also the author of a book on the history of football, rugby and all related sports.
As a new publisher first starting out, I needed to source a new editor to assist with the launch of my publications. I came across Graham’s listing as an editor on the Society for Editors and Proofreaders’ [now the CIEP’s] website – the go-to professional body for publishers when they require the expertise of an editor or proofreader.
Graham is exceptionally good at what he does, and the standard of his copy-editing services is outstanding and beyond my expectations; he is professional, reliable and an extremely efficient editor. He takes charge of the project and manages the whole process from start to finish, interacting well with both publisher and author, ensuring every aspect of the copy-editing process is well sewn together and delivered to the typesetter in a well-structured way.
My authors have been very impressed with his work. In particular, how flexible and accommodating he has been outside of core office hours, responding swiftly to queries raised, keeping my books on schedule – especially when there has been a tight deadline to adhere to!
I would highly recommend his services.
Tracey Dobby, Publishing Director, Eclipse Publishing & Media
We use Graham as a regular editor of our business reports, a task to which he brings both a keen eye for detail and an instinctive sense of style … He copes well with the vagaries of our ever-changing timelines, is able to handle challenges well beyond normal editorial services, and is always professional. I recommend him very highly.
C. J. Rowe, delivery and quality manager
Graham has copy-edited several books for us and his work has consistently been of a very high standard. His application of house style and attention to detail is nothing short of excellent and I am happy to recommend him.
Dean Rockett, Pitch Publishing
Graham's work has consistently been accurate, comprehensive and insightful. His can-do attitude and efficient approach make him a valuable asset to any publishing enterprise.
Editor, B2B content marketing agency
We three would like to thank you profusely for the detailed, expert work that you are doing on our book manuscript. Indeed, we are scratching our heads and trying to recall if any of us have ever seen better copy-editing!
Mary Elise Sarotte, Dean’s Professor of History, University of Southern California