|Location||CHESTER, CH1, Cheshire|
|Mobile||07851 433 505|
|LinkedIn (personal)||Graham Hughes|
|LinkedIn (company)||GH Editorial|
✅ Business editing ✅ Web content editing ✅ Non-fiction copy-editing and proofreading
I help a range of customers including marketing firms, consultancies and trade non-fiction publishers. My specialisms include information technology, business and sport. I’ve edited or proofread over 40 books, more than 90 business reports and many other items.
I’ve had extensive training as a copy-editor and proofreader, and I’m committed to continuing my professional development. As part of my active involvement in the CIEP, I’m the coordinator of the Liverpool local group, and a tutor for some of our training courses.
If you think we could work together, please get in touch and tell me what you’re looking for.
I can help to make sure your company’s written material – such as marketing content, reports and guides – will work effectively for you, by:
- making it clear, concise, readable, consistent and professional
- considering the target audience and its specific needs, along with key business priorities
- eliminating unwanted jargon and business-speak
- reshaping the material into plain English if needed
- advising on issues with structure, layout and formatting.
I always put the reader first – this will help you in turn, by helping to ensure that you get your message across clearly and smoothly.
I normally either use Microsoft Word (with Track Changes and commenting) or mark up PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader (using the Comment feature), but can also consider other methods.
Web content editing
I can enhance the written content of your website (or web content that you create for your clients), including blog posts, in various ways:
- full copy-editing, which can include editing the language into plain English
- basic proofreading, just to check for crucial errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation etc.
- editing downloadable documents in Word or PDF format
- content auditing, to quantify and assess the content and make recommendations for further work.
I can edit or proofread web page content using Word or PDF documents, or in the system that you use to manage it.
Copy-editing for publishers
I copy-edit manuscripts, mainly for trade non-fiction titles and educational/professional publications, using Microsoft Word with Track Changes.
Proofreading for publishers
Marking up PDF proofs in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (normally using the Comment feature) or PDF-XChange Editor (using stamps for the BSI symbols, or other notation as required).
Editing into plain English
Making your writing more easily digestible and widely accessible by simplifying its vocabulary and grammar, and by improving its structure, layout and formatting where appropriate.
Developing style guides
I can create or revise a style guide, to help ensure consistency and good practice in your organisation’s written output.
Editing and proofreading
- Books: trade non-fiction (mainly sport, including football and cricket), academic, professional/educational, self-help, fiction
- Business documents: reports, reviews, white papers, bids, proposals, guides, personnel profiles
- Marketing material: client magazines, newsletters, emails, social media posts, website content, blog posts, catalogue, menus
- Online training material, staff training guides
- Research papers, articles, presentation and lecture material, student papers
- School reports
- Ongoing revision and updating of a corporate style guide
- Creating a style guide for a publisher
- Review of ‘brand lexicon’ for a hotel chain’s menus
Publishers and packagers: Eclipse Publishing & Media | Integra | Pitch Publishing | Prestel | RefineCatch | Swales & Willis | Taylor & Francis | TSO (The Stationery Office) | Wearset
Other businesses, including: Auriel Investors | Construction Marketing Experts | Grist | Harry, Larry + Gary | Hartey Wealth Management | Intuitus | Rowan | TMF Group
Other organisations, including: Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS) | Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading | Kelsall Parish Council | King Edward VI School
Individuals: Independent authors | Researchers | Students | Freelances | Jobseekers
I can work with most subjects, but have specialist knowledge of the following:
- Information technology
- Sport and its history
- Rock music
I also have substantial experience of editing business material.
Training, CPD and education
- Web Editing (2020)
Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP, now the CIEP)
- Introduction to Proofreading (2013)
- Introduction to Copy-Editing (2014)
- Proofreading Progress (2014)
- Mentoring for Proofreading (2014)
- Copy-Editing Progress (2016)
- Mentoring for Copy-Editing (2016)
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics (2017)
- Editing Digital Content (2019)
- Plain English for Editors (2019)
- Basic Proofreading – passed with Merit (2014)
- Copy-Editing – passed with Merit (2015)
- Online Content: Writing and Editing Skills (2018)
PRINCE2 (project management)
- Accreditation at Foundation level (2008)
Continuing professional development (CPD)
- Regular involvement in CIEP local groups: attending many meetings and acting as a group coordinator (Manchester from 2015 to 2018; Liverpool from August 2020 to date)
- Frequently using and contributing to the CIEP’s online forums, including two years as an administrator
- Attending each annual CIEP conference since 2015
- Reading articles and books on editing, proofreading and related subjects such as writing style and plain English
- BSc (Hons) Data Processing – Loughborough University, 1987
I worked in information technology for 26 years as an analyst, developer, project manager and team leader, in the transport, financial services, government (US, state-level), telecommunications and retail sectors. My employers were British Rail, Strategic Systems Solutions, Pinkerton Computer Consultants and Capgemini.
I’m also the author of a book on the history of football, rugby and all related sports.
Graham has been great on the jobs I have given him, and I don't say this lightly. His tenacity and thoroughness are second to none – indeed, I have been surprised by just how much he manages to find wrong in a manuscript! His suggestions are polite and helpful, and he delivers on time and to budget. I have no hesitation in recommending him as an excellent copy-editor.
Michele Staple, Editorial Manager, Williams Lea
As a new publisher first starting out, I needed to source a new editor to assist with the launch of my publications. I came across Graham’s listing as an editor on the Society for Editors and Proofreaders’ [now the CIEP’s] website – the go-to professional body for publishers when they require the expertise of an editor or proofreader.
Graham is exceptionally good at what he does, and the standard of his copy-editing services is outstanding and beyond my expectations; he is professional, reliable and an extremely efficient editor. He takes charge of the project and manages the whole process from start to finish, interacting well with both publisher and author, ensuring every aspect of the copy-editing process is well sewn together and delivered to the typesetter in a well-structured way.
My authors have been very impressed with his work. In particular, how flexible and accommodating he has been outside of core office hours, responding swiftly to queries raised, keeping my books on schedule – especially when there has been a tight deadline to adhere to!
I would highly recommend his services.
Tracey Dobby, Publishing Director, Eclipse Publishing & Media
We use Graham as a regular editor of our business reports, a task to which he brings both a keen eye for detail and an instinctive sense of style … He copes well with the vagaries of our ever-changing timelines, is able to handle challenges well beyond normal editorial services, and is always professional. I recommend him very highly.
C. J. Rowe, delivery and quality manager
Graham's work has consistently been accurate, comprehensive and insightful. His can-do attitude and efficient approach make him a valuable asset to any publishing enterprise.
Editor, B2B content marketing agency
We three would like to thank you profusely for the detailed, expert work that you are doing on our book manuscript. Indeed, we are scratching our heads and trying to recall if any of us have ever seen better copy-editing!
Mary Elise Sarotte, Dean’s Professor of History, University of Southern California