|Location||CHESTER, CH1, Cheshire|
|Mobile||07851 433 505|
✅ Business editing ✅ Web editing ✅ Non-fiction copy-editing and proofreading
I work with a range of clients including marketing, consultancy and IT companies, and trade non-fiction publishers. My specialisms include IT, business and sport. I’ve edited or proofread over 40 books, more than 90 business reports and many other items.
I’ve had extensive training as a copy-editor and proofreader, from basic to advanced levels, and I’m strongly committed to continuing my professional development. As part of my active involvement in the CIEP, I’m the coordinator of the Liverpool local group; I also had an earlier spell leading the Manchester group.
If you think I could help you, please get in touch and tell me what you’re looking for.
A flexible service that can enhance the quality of a company’s written material, such as marketing content, reports and proposals, by:
- making it clear, concise, readable, consistent and professional
- considering the target audience and its specific needs, along with key business priorities
- eliminating unwanted jargon and business-speak
- reshaping the material into plain English if needed
- advising on issues with structure, layout and formatting.
I normally either use Microsoft Word (with Track Changes and commenting) or mark up PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader (using the Comment feature), but can also consider other methods.
Web content editing
I can help with the written content of your website (or web content that you create for your clients), including blog posts, in various ways:
- thorough copy-editing, which can include editing the language into plain English
- basic proofreading, just to check for crucial errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation etc.
- editing downloadable documents in Word or PDF format
- content auditing, to quantify and assess the web content and make recommendations for further work.
I can edit or proofread web page content using Word or PDF documents, or in the system that you use to manage it.
Copy-editing for publishers
I copy-edit manuscripts using Microsoft Word with Track Changes and commenting.
Proofreading for publishers
Marking up PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader (normally using the Comment feature) or PDF-XChange Editor (using stamps for the BSI symbols, or other notation as required).
Developing style guides
I can create or revise a style guide, to help ensure consistency and good practice in your organisation’s written output.
Editing and proofreading
- Books: trade non-fiction (mainly sport, including football and cricket), academic, professional/educational, self-help, fiction
- Business documents: reports, reviews, bids, proposals, guides, personnel profiles
- Marketing material: client magazines, newsletters, emails, social media posts, website content, blog posts, catalogue, menus
- Online training material, staff training guides
- Research papers, articles, presentation and lecture material, student papers
- School reports
- Ongoing revision and updating of a corporate style guide
- Creating a style guide for a publisher
- Review of ‘brand lexicon’ for a hotel chain’s menus
- Eclipse Publishing & Media
- Integra (for Palgrave Macmillan)
- Pitch Publishing
- RefineCatch (for Bloomsbury)
- Swales & Willis (for Taylor & Francis / Focal Press, Routledge)
- Taylor & Francis / Routledge
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
- Wearset (for Taylor & Francis / Routledge)
- Auriel Investors – asset management
- Construction Marketing Experts
- Grist – B2B communications agency
- Harry, Larry + Gary – design agency
- Hartey Wealth Management
- Intuitus – IT consultancy
- Rowan – marketing agency
- TMF Group – business advice
- Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS)
- Kelsall Parish Council
- King Edward VI School
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading
- Independent authors | Researchers | Students | Freelances | Jobseekers
I can work with most subjects, but have specialist knowledge of the following:
- Information technology – analysis, computer programming, testing, project management, quality assurance, support
- Sport and its history
- Rock music
I also have substantial experience of editing business material.
Training, CPD and education
- Web Editing (2020)
SfEP (now the CIEP)
- Introduction to Proofreading (2013)
- Introduction to Copy-Editing (2014)
- Proofreading Progress (2014)
- Mentoring for Proofreading (2014)
- Copy-Editing Progress (2016)
- Mentoring for Copy-Editing (2016)
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics (2017)
- Editing Digital Content (2019)
- Plain English for Editors (2019)
- Basic Proofreading – passed with Merit (2014)
- Copy-Editing – passed with Merit (2015)
- Online Content: Writing and Editing Skills (2018)
PRINCE2 (project management)
- Accreditation at Foundation level (2008)
Continuing professional development (CPD)
- Regular involvement in CIEP local groups: attending many meetings and acting as a group coordinator (Manchester from 2015 to 2018; Liverpool from August 2020 to date)
- Frequently using and contributing to the CIEP’s online forums, including two years as an administrator
- Attending each annual CIEP conference from 2015 to 2019
- Reading articles and books on editing, proofreading and related subjects such as writing style and plain English
- BSc (Hons) Data Processing – Loughborough University, 1987
I worked in IT for 26 years as an analyst, developer, project manager and team leader, in the transport, financial services, government (US, state-level), telecommunications and retail sectors. My employers were British Rail, Strategic Systems Solutions, Pinkerton Computer Consultants and Capgemini.
I’m also the author of a book on the history of football, rugby and all related sports.
Graham has been great on the jobs I have given him, and I don't say this lightly. His tenacity and thoroughness are second to none – indeed, I have been surprised by just how much he manages to find wrong in a manuscript! His suggestions are polite and helpful, and he delivers on time and to budget. I have no hesitation in recommending him as an excellent copy-editor.
Michele Staple, Editorial Manager, Williams Lea
As a new publisher first starting out, I needed to source a new editor to assist with the launch of my publications. I came across Graham’s listing as an editor on the Society for Editors and Proofreaders’ [now the CIEP’s] website – the go-to professional body for publishers when they require the expertise of an editor or proofreader.
Graham is exceptionally good at what he does, and the standard of his copy-editing services is outstanding and beyond my expectations; he is professional, reliable and an extremely efficient editor. He takes charge of the project and manages the whole process from start to finish, interacting well with both publisher and author, ensuring every aspect of the copy-editing process is well sewn together and delivered to the typesetter in a well-structured way.
My authors have been very impressed with his work. In particular, how flexible and accommodating he has been outside of core office hours, responding swiftly to queries raised, keeping my books on schedule – especially when there has been a tight deadline to adhere to!
I would highly recommend his services.
Tracey Dobby, Publishing Director, Eclipse Publishing & Media
We use Graham as a regular editor of our business reports, a task to which he brings both a keen eye for detail and an instinctive sense of style … He copes well with the vagaries of our ever-changing timelines, is able to handle challenges well beyond normal editorial services, and is always professional. I recommend him very highly.
C. J. Rowe, delivery and quality manager
Graham's work has consistently been accurate, comprehensive and insightful. His can-do attitude and efficient approach make him a valuable asset to any publishing enterprise.
Editor, B2B content marketing agency
We three would like to thank you profusely for the detailed, expert work that you are doing on our book manuscript. Indeed, we are scratching our heads and trying to recall if any of us have ever seen better copy-editing!
Mary Elise Sarotte, Dean’s Professor of History, University of Southern California