Graham HughesAdvanced Professional Member
|Location||CHESTER, CH1, Cheshire|
|Mobile||07851 433 505|
|LinkedIn (personal)||Graham Hughes|
|LinkedIn (company)||GH Editorial|
✅ Business editing ✅ Non-fiction copy-editing and proofreading
I help a range of customers including marketing firms, consultancies, and publishers of non-fiction and specialist books. My specialisms include information technology, business and sport. I’ve edited or proofread over 40 books, more than a hundred business reports and many other items.
I’ve had extensive training as a copy-editor and proofreader, and I’m committed to continuing my professional development. As part of my active involvement in the CIEP, I’m a tutor for some of our training courses and the coordinator of the Liverpool local group.
If you think we could work together, please get in touch and tell me what you’re looking for.
I can help to make sure your company’s written material will work effectively for you and show your credibility – for example, marketing materials (including web content), reports and guides. I can do this by:
- making it clear, concise, readable, complete, consistent and professional
- considering the target audience and its specific needs, along with key business priorities
- eliminating unwanted jargon and business-speak
- reshaping the material into plain English if needed
- advising on issues with structure, layout and formatting.
My approach is always to put the reader first. This, in turn, will benefit you, by helping you to get your message across clearly and smoothly.
I normally either use Microsoft Word (with Track Changes and commenting) or mark up PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader (using the Comment feature), but can also consider other methods.
Copy-editing for publishers
I copy-edit manuscripts, mainly for trade non-fiction titles and professional-guidance publications, using Microsoft Word with Track Changes.
Proofreading for publishers
I can mark up PDF proofs in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (normally using the Comment feature) or PDF-XChange Editor (using stamps for the BSI symbols, or other notation as required).
Editing into plain English
I can make your writing more easily digestible and accessible for a wide audience – by simplifying its vocabulary and grammar, and by improving its structure, layout and formatting where appropriate.
Developing style guides
I can create or revise a style guide, to help ensure consistency and good practice in your organisation’s written output.
My website has more on what I can do for you, plus guidance on my charges and how to get a quote.
Please visit my website for a detailed portfolio and full list of testimonials.
Editing and proofreading
- Books: trade non-fiction (mainly sport, including football and cricket), specialist (professional guidance, educational, self-help), academic
- Business documents: reports, reviews, white papers, bids, proposals, guides, personnel profiles
- Marketing materials: client magazines, newsletters, social media posts, website content (including blog posts), menus
- Online training material, staff training guides
- Research papers, articles, presentation and lecture material, student papers
- School reports
- Ongoing revision and updating of a corporate style guide
- Creating a style guide for a publisher
- Review of ‘brand lexicon’ for a hotel chain’s menus
Publishers and packagers: Eclipse Publishing & Media | Integra | Pitch Publishing | Prestel | RefineCatch | Swales & Willis | Taylor & Francis | The Stationery Office | Vision Sports Publishing | Wearset
Other businesses: Construction Marketing Experts | EMC Design | Endava | Grist | Harry, Larry + Gary | Hartey Wealth Management | Impact Cubed | OpenWeather | Rowan | TMF Group
Other organisations: Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS) | CIEP | King Edward VI School
Individuals: Independent authors | Researchers | Students | Freelances | Jobseekers
I can work with most subjects, but have specialist knowledge of the following:
- Sport and its history
- Music: rock, pop and related genres
I also have substantial experience of editing business material, for example:
- Guidance on management of programmes, projects and services
- Reviews of use of technology in organisations
- Investment advice
Training, CPD and education
- The Art of Querying (2022)
- Web Editing (2020)
Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP, now the CIEP)
- Introduction to Proofreading (2013)
- Introduction to Copy-Editing (2014)
- Proofreading Progress (2014)
- Mentoring for Proofreading (2014)
- Copy-Editing Progress (2016)
- Mentoring for Copy-Editing (2016)
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics (2017)
- Editing Digital Content (2019)
- Plain English for Editors (2019)
- Basic Proofreading (2014)
- Copy-Editing (2015)
- Rewriting and Substantive Editing (2023)
- Online Content: Writing and Editing Skills (2018)
PRINCE2 (project management)
- Accreditation at Foundation level (2008)
Continuing professional development (CPD)
- Regular involvement in CIEP local groups: attending many meetings and acting as a group coordinator (Manchester from 2015 to 2018; Liverpool from August 2020 to date)
- Frequently using and contributing to the CIEP’s online forums, including two years as an administrator
- Attending each annual CIEP conference since 2015
- Reading articles and books on editing, proofreading and related subjects such as writing style and plain English
- BSc (Hons) Data Processing – Loughborough University, 1987
I worked in information technology for 26 years as an analyst, developer, project manager and team leader, in the transport, financial services, government (US, state-level), telecommunications and retail sectors. My employers were British Rail, Strategic Systems Solutions, Pinkerton Computer Consultants and Capgemini.
I’m also the author of a book on the history of football, rugby and all related sports.
Graham has been great on the jobs I have given him, and I don't say this lightly. His tenacity and thoroughness are second to none – indeed, I have been surprised by just how much he manages to find wrong in a manuscript! His suggestions are polite and helpful, and he delivers on time and to budget. I have no hesitation in recommending him as an excellent copy-editor.
Michele Staple, Editorial Manager, The Stationery Office
As a new publisher first starting out, I needed to source a new editor to assist with the launch of my publications. I came across Graham’s listing as an editor on the Society for Editors and Proofreaders’ [now the CIEP’s] website – the go-to professional body for publishers when they require the expertise of an editor or proofreader.
Graham is exceptionally good at what he does, and the standard of his copy-editing services is outstanding and beyond my expectations; he is professional, reliable and an extremely efficient editor. He takes charge of the project and manages the whole process from start to finish, interacting well with both publisher and author, ensuring every aspect of the copy-editing process is well sewn together and delivered to the typesetter in a well-structured way.
My authors have been very impressed with his work. In particular, how flexible and accommodating he has been outside of core office hours, responding swiftly to queries raised, keeping my books on schedule – especially when there has been a tight deadline to adhere to!
I would highly recommend his services.
Tracey Dobby, Publishing Director, Eclipse Publishing & Media
We use Graham as a regular editor of our business reports, a task to which he brings both a keen eye for detail and an instinctive sense of style … He copes well with the vagaries of our ever-changing timelines, is able to handle challenges well beyond normal editorial services, and is always professional. I recommend him very highly.
C. J. Rowe, delivery and quality manager
Graham's work has consistently been accurate, comprehensive and insightful. His can-do attitude and efficient approach make him a valuable asset to any publishing enterprise.
Editor, B2B content marketing agency
We three would like to thank you profusely for the detailed, expert work that you are doing on our book manuscript. Indeed, we are scratching our heads and trying to recall if any of us have ever seen better copy-editing!
Mary Elise Sarotte, Dean’s Professor of History, University of Southern California