|Location||Halifax, West Yorkshire|
|Mobile||Available on request|
Qualifications and awards
- Master’s degree in Physics (MPhys with Honours) from Lancaster University, one of the UK’s top 10
- Certificate in Natural Sciences (CertNatSci)
- Certified Member, Institute of Physics (MInstP)
- Worked in-house at Institute of Physics (IOP) Publishing, Bristol, UK, and published in IOP’s global-leading Physics World
- 15 years of editing experience (since 2004)
- Edited several thousand pre-submission journal articles, and post-acceptance for Nature sub-journals, many science books and reports, and a variety of online/digital educational material
- Experience with digital asset management systems for more complex publishing projects
Specialist software and platforms
- Word and MathType
- TeX/LaTeX (including apps such as LyX and platforms such as Overleaf)
- Cloud-based publishing platforms, such as DigiCore
- Medical Editing (CIEP), 2017
- Grammar and Effective Writing (IOP with Kingston University London), 2016
- Basic Proofreading – merit (Publishing Training Centre), 2009
Development/developmental editing, substantive editing, copy-editing, proofreading, English as a second language (ESL) and non-native English, anglicising (UK English), American/US English, references styling, rewriting, writing, website editing, mark-up language
Journals and journal articles, academic papers, conference papers, PhD thesis/theses and research dissertations, company and business literature, websites and online material, government reports, manuals, newsletters, magazine articles, scholarly books, reference works, textbooks, multi-author books, course material, educational materials, answer checking, degree level, A Level, GCSE, secondary (Key Stages 3–5; KS3, KS4, KS5)
Physics and physical sciences, cosmology, astronomy/space science, information science & technology, mathematics (general, applied, popular, academic, school), geophysics, computing and computer science, sciences (academic, school, popular, history), engineering (robotics, artificial intelligence, bionics, nanomaterials), earth sciences, environmental science, biophysics, biology (biomimetics/biomimicry, biomaterials, bioprinting, biomedical engineering, biophotonics, nanomedicine, popular), chemical physics, economics (general, development), economic geography, business and business theory, accountancy/finance
Some of my clients
● Nature Publishing Group (division of Macmillan, Springer Nature) ● Oxford University Press (OUP) ● IOP ● Pearson Education ● HarperCollins ● Scholastic ● Virtual College ● London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) ● Digital TV Group ● Carlo Scevola and Partners SA ● European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE) ● the UK National Physical Laboratory (NPL) ● London Science Museum ● thousands of English and English-as-a-second-language (ESL) independent academic writers
Welcome! I am a professional copy-editor and development editor in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) and related subjects. I enjoy working with and helping thousands of English and non-English-speaking academics from all around the world. You can discover a bit more about me and why I love what I do at the CIEP’s ‘Meet our members’ feature https://www.ciep.uk/meet-our-members/emma-hoyle.
Short urgent jobs and larger projects equally welcome – ask me about my availability (contact details at the top of this page).
Emma has worked with me on several projects related to copy-editing and proof reading of research articles. In each case, Emma added extra value to our manuscripts. In addition, Emma is very professional, detail-oriented, punctual, and dedicated. This is why I have no hesitation in recommending her.
Vladimir Dženopoljac, Assistant Professor at American University of the Middle East (AUM)
I had other written work edited before, but never had an article purposefully proof-read for submission to a peer-reviewed journal. Ms Hoyle did a very thorough job and was very easy to communicate with.
Hielke Buddelmeyer, Senior Research Fellow at Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
The most important [factor] for me is that Emma is a physicist, this is priceless when it comes to understand and correct scientific or engineering publication and jargon.
Aleksandra Baron-Wiechec, Surface/Materials Scientist at Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
Emma is very professional. Always accurate and punctual in delivering. I have used her services many times and it has always been a pleasure to work with her. I strongly recommend her.
Luigi Ventimiglia, Senior Lecturer at Queen Mary University of London
Emma provided us with a high quality work every time we hired her. She is always on time, and is highly recommended. A pleasure to work with!
Carlo Scevola, President at Carlo Scevola & Partners