|Location||Based in West Yorkshire, UK; I edit internationally|
|Emma Hoyle, Physical Sciences Editor & Proofreader|
Qualifications and awards
- Master’s degree in Physics (MPhys with Honours) from Lancaster University, one of the UK’s top 10
- Certificate in Natural Sciences (CertNatSci)
- Certified Member, Institute of Physics (MInstP)
- Worked in-house at Institute of Physics (IOP) Publishing, Bristol, UK, and published in IOP’s global-leading Physics World
- 16+ years of professional editing (since 2004)
- Edited several thousand pre-submission journal articles, and post-acceptance papers for several Nature sub-journals (e.g. Nature Astronomy, Nature Physics), many science books and reports, and a variety of online/digital educational material
- Experience with digital asset management systems for more complex publishing projects
Specialist software and platforms
- Word and MathType
- TeX/LaTeX (including apps such as LyX and platforms such as Overleaf)
- Cloud-based publishing platforms, such as DigiCore
- Medical Editing (SfEP; now CIEP), 2017
- Grammar and Effective Writing (IOP with Kingston University London), 2016
- Basic Proofreading – merit (Publishing Training Centre), 2009
Development/developmental editing, substantive editing, copy-editing, proofreading, English as a second language (ESL) and non-native English, anglicising (UK English), American/US English, references styling, rewriting, writing, website editing, mark-up language
Journals and journal articles, academic papers, conference papers, PhD thesis/theses and research dissertations, company and business literature, websites and online material, government reports, manuals, newsletters, magazine articles, scholarly books, reference works, textbooks, multi-author books, course material, educational materials, answer checking, degree level, A Level, GCSE, secondary (Key Stages 3–5; KS3, KS4, KS5)
Physics and physical sciences, cosmology, astronomy/space science, information science & technology, mathematics (general, applied, popular, academic, school), geophysics, computing and computer science, sciences (academic, school, popular, history), engineering (robotics, artificial intelligence, bionics, nanomaterials), earth sciences, environmental science, biophysics, biology (biomimetics/biomimicry, biomaterials, bioprinting, biomedical engineering, biophotonics, nanomedicine, popular), chemical physics, economics (general, development), economic geography, business and business theory, accountancy/finance
Some of my clients
● Nature Publishing Group (division of Macmillan, Springer Nature) ● Oxford University Press (OUP) ● IOP ● Pearson Education ● HarperCollins ● Scholastic ● Virtual College ● London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) ● Digital TV Group ● Carlo Scevola and Partners SA ● European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE) ● the UK National Physical Laboratory (NPL) ● London Science Museum ● thousands of English and English-as-a-second-language (ESL) independent academic writers
Welcome! I am a professional copy-editor, proofreader and development editor in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) and related subjects such as economics. I enjoy working with and helping thousands of scholars from all around the world. You can discover a bit more about me and why I love what I do at the CIEP’s ‘Meet our members’ feature https://www.ciep.uk/meet-our-members/emma-hoyle.
Short urgent jobs and larger projects equally welcome – ask me about my availability (contact details at the top of the page).
Emma has worked with me on several projects related to copy-editing and proof reading of research articles. In each case, Emma added extra value to our manuscripts. In addition, Emma is very professional, detail-oriented, punctual, and dedicated. This is why I have no hesitation in recommending her.
Vladimir Dženopoljac, Assistant Professor at American University of the Middle East (AUM)
I had other written work edited before, but never had an article purposefully proof-read for submission to a peer-reviewed journal. Ms Hoyle did a very thorough job and was very easy to communicate with.
Hielke Buddelmeyer, Senior Research Fellow at Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
The most important for me is that Emma is a physicist, this is priceless when it comes to understand and correct scientific or engineering publication and jargon.
Aleksandra Baron-Wiechec, Surface/Materials Scientist at Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
Emma is very professional. Always accurate and punctual in delivering. I have used her services many times and it has always been a pleasure to work with her. I strongly recommend her.
Luigi Ventimiglia, Senior Lecturer at Queen Mary University of London
Emma provided us with high quality work every time we hired her. She is always on time and is highly recommended. A pleasure to work with!
Carlo Scevola, President at Carlo Scevola & Partners
Emma is one of the best editors I have dealt with. She edited a lot of scientific journal papers for me and they were excellent and published without any modifications from the journal referees. You want to win, look for Emma.
Abdulrahmane Al Masoud, Professor at King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia