|Based in South Wales, UK, but I edit internationally
|Web advice for authors and editors, plus language tips and tricks, and anything related to writing and publishing
|Books for editors and writers
I'm a friendly, experienced editor and proofreader, specialising in books set in France, mysteries and thrillers, historical fiction, memoirs and web content.
Proofreading and editing is not only my job, but my passion. I get a buzz from helping self-published authors, publishers and businesses to produce work of an exceptional standard. My clients include independent publishers, self-published authors and companies like The Royal Mint.
I read French at the University of Oxford and have lived and worked in France, hence the specialist arm of my business for editing books set in France, but I work on all kinds of other books too. A selection of my favourite projects is on my website: www.debbie-emmitt.com/portfolio
I'm putting the finishing touches to my debut novel, a mystery set in the south of France, and will soon be querying agents.
I also have extensive experience with web content on a variety of platforms so can edit through the lens of SEO, web accessibility and user experience. I'm the author of Improve Your Author Website and Improve Your Editor Website.
If you’d like to have a chat about how I can help you, please get in touch!
I offer the following services:
- Line editing – I will carefully work through your manuscript line by line to see where the word choice, flow and sentence structure can be improved, while taking care to retain your unique author’s voice.
- Copyediting – I will check for a broad range of problems, including errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation, the flow of language and issues of style. I will also carry out a degree of fact-checking.
- Proofreading – I will work on your proof once it's been designed and typeset, checking for errors that have crept in during revision, plus issues with formatting, layout, page numbering, headers, footers, table of contents and more.
- Website editing and proofreading – I have an extensive background in web marketing. I can line-edit and copyedit your web text before you upload it to your site, then proofread your webpages. I will also make suggestions to improve your site's SEO, accessibility and usability.
- Edit of your first 10,000 words – I will carry out a detailed edit at the level of your choice (line edit, copyedit, or a combination of the two). You will receive a bespoke style sheet and an editorial report detailing areas of strength and suggestions for improvement.
- Sample edits – Try before you buy. Simply provide a sample of up to 2,500 words, and for a small fee (taken off the full-edit cost if you hire me), I’ll provide an edit or proofread and a short editorial report containing advice that you can apply to your whole book.
Full details of all my services, with indicative pricing, are on my website.
Subjects and genres
I edit fiction, non-fiction and web content. I enjoy working on a variety of topics and genres, but am especially interested in the following:
- Books set in France – My MA in French from the University of Oxford and my experience of living and working in different regions of France will benefit your book
- Thrillers and mysteries – I have written a mystery novel and studied the craft of writing, story structure, plot and character arcs
- Memoirs and biographies – I find other people's lives inspiring and fascinating, and will bring the principles of story craft to your book
- Historical fiction – I enjoy the research involved! I also have an A-Level in Early Modern History and read historical fiction during leisure time
- Websites – Any topic! I worked in the field of web for almost 20 years and have written Improve Your Author Website and Improve Your Editor Website
Qualifications, training and experience
Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) – Professional Member
Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) – Partner Member
Qualifications and training
- Copyediting 3: Progress – CIEP
- Copyediting 2: Headway – CIEP
- Copyediting 1: Introduction – CIEP
- Switching to Fiction – Louise Harnby
- Word for Practical Editing – CIEP (in progress)
- MA in French and Portuguese – University of Oxford
I have been a freelance editor and proofreader since 2018, editing fiction, non-fiction and web content. I edited almost 1.5 million words in 2023 alone!
Prior to that, I spent almost 20 years in web-editor and web-manager roles for different organisations.
Clear, actionable advice to make your author website a marketing powerhouse
Your website is your most effective promotional tool … if used effectively:
- Attract more readers
- Increase book sales
- Expand your reach
Packed with practical advice on every aspect of your author website.
Clear, actionable advice to make your editor website a marketing powerhouse
Your website is your most effective promotional tool … if used correctly. Tap its full potential.
- Build your reputation
- Attract more quality clients
- Enjoy peace of mind in your business
Packed with practical advice on every aspect of your editor website.
Read full-length reviews on the following websites:
- Self-published authors of fiction and non-fiction from all over the world, including many returning clients
- Independent publishers, including Hermitage Editions, Abundant Vision and Quill Club Writers
- Prestigious organisations including The Royal Mint and the Institute for Sustainability Leadership at the University of Cambridge
- Entrepreneurs across a range of industries
- Companies including Wikijob, Healthmatch and Boldify
Debbie is a world-class editor, so professional and thorough in her work. Our book was all over the place in voice, tone, and development. After she finished, our book was...well...an actual book.
We hired her for line editing but she did way more than that. She even gave us tips and tricks to help our book come together. She made this book come to life. She was always on time for the completion of each milestone, and super responsive. We will definitely hire her for our next book.
Abundant Vision Publishing
I would give Debbie 6 stars if it was possible. She made this ordeal easy for me especially since it was my first book. She respectfully corrected without being condescending, which made it easier for me to work with her. Letting someone read and edit one’s book can put authors in a place of vulnerability. The entire experience was well worth it because of her professionalism. I can’t recommend her highly enough.
TE Anyansi, non-fiction author
It's become a habit to expect only the best from Debbie. And she's made it a habit of delivering nothing but the best. We enjoy working with her.
Hemant Kumar, Quill Club Writers
Debbie went above and beyond expectations. A project of this magnitude was a first for me and I was looking for a professional editor with years of experience to learn from. Debbie is exactly that, a professional who takes her time to explain, guide and listen.
With her high-quality edits and suggestions, she brought the story to life and delivered a fantastic manuscript. She was easy to work with, highly approachable, accommodating and she even delivered a few of our milestones ahead of schedule. I'm looking forward to our next project in the near future!
Ann-Elizabeth Wittke, fiction author
Debbie did an excellent job editing my manuscript for a children’s book. She offered suggestions to make my writing better and was very knowledgeable and friendly. I would highly recommend Debbie for any editing and proofreading services that you need.
Melissa Clarke, children's author
Debbie is the best proofreader we have worked with, thorough, responsive and fair pricing. Will definitely be working with her for future tasks.
Mark Whittle, Virtual Reality Experiences (VRE) Ltd
Debbie was responsive to the many queries I had. Particularly helpful was her feedback as to why she suggested her changes, instead of simply making the changes. The edits were provided on time and Debbie kept me updated throughout the project. Prior to being award the contract, Debbie also provided a sample edit so we could both assess whether our working styles were compatible. She was also available to speak via video conference instead of solely relying on chat. If you’re looking for an editor, I recommend Debbie.
Hoi T Pham, fiction author
Debbie delivered excellent work, going above and beyond my expectations, and completing a day before the deadline. It is clear that she put her heart into the work, not just her mind. The editing and proof-reading is spotless. And on top, she made suggestions to revise some parts based on how it made her feel as a reader, which I find very valuable. She even caught a mistake I made in a mathematical calculation! She kept me posted throughout the process, and reached out for clarification when needed. I would definitely work with her if there is another opportunity.
Meltem Kusku, non-fiction author