|Website||Ayesha Chari | Independent Editor|
|ALLi||Partner Member of The Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi)|
|ACES||Full Member of ACES: The Society for Editing|
Hi! I'm Ayesha and I specialise in sensitive editing of academic and scholarly non-fiction.
I offer different editorial services, all of which have at their core sensitive editing, perceptive problem solving, constructive creativity and conscious collaboration.
With nearly two decades of editing experience, I'm a friendly professional offering exemplary commitment to quality, schedules, budgets and client confidentiality.
- Types of material: Academic | Non-fiction | Scholarly works | Journal articles
- Primary subject areas: Interdisciplinary | Culture studies | Anthropology | Ethnography | Identity | Performance studies | Developmental studies | Social Sciences
- House style expertise: Chicago Manual of Style and Hart’s Rules (US–UK styles)
- Reference styles: Harvard, CMoS, APA, MLA and Vancouver
I'm happy to collaborate with publishing co-workers, new writers and established authors, academics and researchers, and prefer projects requiring direct liaison with authors/translators to resolve queries. I can also adapt quickly to new styles and delight in creating house styles for projects when required.
Technical skills range from in-depth editing (rewriting, substantive editing, line editing, copyediting) of books, journals and monographs to basic typesetting, layout and design of text.
Although I can't take on full-length book projects at the moment, do get in touch to consult on any aspect of publishing and best practices in the industry.
Content editing, copyediting, English-language editing, line editing, rewriting, substantive editing, on-screen editing and proofreading, research, referencing
Academic (general), biology, business/business studies, developmental studies, earth sciences, country/area studies (India, developing countries, South-east Asia), economics, education, (biomedical, general), English literature (literature in translation, world literature), environment/energy, geography (sustainable development), life sciences (anthropology), non-fiction (general), philosophy, social sciences/studies (culture studies, sociology), tourism/travel (India), transport (policy and planning)
Media and Tech
Journal articles, conference proceedings, monographs, multi-author book chapters, reports, working papers and other short pieces
Edit primarily in MS Word (with track changes). Competent in using Adobe Acrobat Pro, Google Docs, MS Office, QuarkXPress; familiar with Mac OS and Microsoft Windows
Ideas on Fire (US); Kognity (Sweden); London School of Economics (UK); The Language Editor (UK); SLG Press (Oxford); Menard Press (UK); Oxford University Press (UK); Seagull Books Pvt Ltd (India); SR Nova–Techset (India); Sunrise Setting Ltd (UK); international research organisations and independent academics (global)
Writings, interview, etc.
'Making choices: Mindfulness in difficult times' (ICF blog, 20 May 2021)
'Editing tests, clients and the editor' (CIEP blog, 10 March 2021)
'Of Indian Englishes, eating heads and doing the needful' (CIEP blog, 16 September 2020)
Outside the Book interview (6 October 2020)
Training, CPD, Professional affiliations
Courses from the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)
- Plain English for Editors (2021)
Courses from the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP), now CIEP
- Web Editing (2018)
- Efficient Editing (2017)
- Copy-editing 2: Progress (2014)
Courses from the Oxford Publishing Group
- Rewriting and substantive editing (co-organised with Oxford Brookes University) (2016)
- Project management (co-organised with SfEP) (2015)
Continuing professional development
- Attended ACES annual conference: 'Refine' (2021)
- Attended annual CIEP conference (2022; virtual: 2020, 2021)
- Attended annual SfEP conferences (2015, 2017, 2019)
- Led session on STM editing at annual SfEP conference in 2016
- CIEP Advanced Professional Member (active)
- ACES: The Society for Editing, Full Member (active)
- ALLi Partner Member (active)
Independent editor since 2013 (previously self-employed 2011–12); editor (trade, academic, fiction & non-fiction – humanities and social sciences), Seagull Books Pvt Ltd, Calcutta, India, 2006–11 and 2013; assistant editor (copy-editing – STM journals, particularly bio-medical), Macmillan India Ltd, 2004–06
MA Education (special education & educational management), BA Education (subsidiary subjects: English, history, environmental science)