Book editor with a research background in social anthropology
(1) Fiction line-editing, copyediting, and worldbuilding consulting
(2) Academic developmental editing in the narrative social sciences and humanities
(3) Academic line-editing and copyediting for multilingual authors
Specialisms: science fiction, fantasy, social anthropology, history, transactional analysis, psychotherapy
Languages: Croatian, German, Mandarin, Serbian, Spanish
Does any of this sound familiar?
- You feel stuck with your book project
- You have a draft of an article or book but feel lost
- You love research but don’t enjoy writing
- You’ve been wanting to submit that article or grant application for months, but it just doesn’t feel right
- Your book or article needs a final polish before submission
- You want a second professional opinion on a project
As a book editor, I help authors to complete their book project with confidence. I’ve been through the publishing process myself several times and understand the emotional side of academic book publishing as well as the editorial side.
I hold a PhD in social anthropology (University of Manchester), an MSc in the history of science, technology, and medicine (University of Manchester) and a BA (Hons) in natural sciences (University of Cambridge), with specialisms in mathematics, experimental psychology, and the history of science.
1. Developmental/substantive editing
4. Academic translation
5. Worldbuilding consulting
- Multi-author books
- Book proposals
- Grant applications for academics
Full-time editorial business owner since 2019
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter (Researcher) - Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies, Regensburg, Germany (2018–2019)
Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (Linguistic Anthropology) - Institute of Ethnology and Folklore Research, Zagreb (2015–2017)
- CIEP Introduction to Fiction Editing (2021)
- CIEP Proofreading Theses and Dissertations (2021)
- Developmental Editing for Academics (2021)
- CIEP Copyediting 3 (Progress) – Pass (2021, 85%)
- CIEP Copyediting 2 (Headway) – Pass (2021)
- CIEP Basic Editorial Test – Pass (2020, 85%)
- PTC Essential Proofreading (Merit) (2020)
- SfEP Editing with Word (2019)
- SfEP References (2019)
- SfEP Copyediting 1 (2019)
Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies
The Free University of Berlin
University of Berlin
Berlin Institute of Technology
University of Vienna
European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA)
Graz University of Technology
University of Konstanz
University of Bern
Heinrich Böll Foundation
science fiction, fantasy, social anthropology, history, transactional analysis, psychotherapy
BA Natural Sciences (History and Philosophy of Science), University of Cambridge
MA Anthropological Research, University of Manchester
MSc History of Science, Technology, and Medicine, University of Manchester
PhD in Social Anthropology, University of Manchester
Practitioner of Transactional Analysis
The Editor's Toolkit
SDL Trados 2021
Andrew has edited my MA thesis, PhD dissertation and some of my papers for publishing in academic journals. He pays great attention to details, is very fast and never misses deadlines. Given his background in anthropology, he provides very good comments on the content as well. When necessary, he has completed in-depth editing, whilst trying to keep my style intact. He is also a patient reader, keeping his focus even on very dull parts of my work. He is a perfect choice for any kind of academic writing.
Dr Ivan Simić
I found working with Andrew Hodges very pleasurable and his editing skills work deserves a special mention. Why?
1. He is quick to assess the level of work needed to improve, and refine the manuscript.
2. He is very reliable, which in the age of hyperproduction is a rarety.
3. Even after the end of his editing work, he was open and reachable for another round of advice and improvement on the text. Very dedicated.
His primary fields are social theory, history, sociology – I am sure he can cover a few more fields.
My book The Partisan Counter-Archive would have not met the deadlines without him, and am sure, would not be nicely refined.
Dr Gal Kirn
Andrew ha editado un articulo para presentar por segunda vez en una prestigiosa revista de antropología social europea. Su trabajo ha sido muy meticuloso y riguroso. La revisión es detallada y muy comprensiva, abarcando incluso la redacción global y su coherencia con el texto global. Estoy muy agradecida de su trabajo y lo recomiendo completamente. Es confiable, de alta calidad académica y de excelente calidad.
Dr Lorena Valencia
I hired Andrew to proofread my poetry collection ‘Quinta Pitanga’ consisting of poems I wrote in Brazil and Morocco. It wasn’t easy for me to find someone to proofread poetry full of footnotes, wordplays and allusions, but Andrew stood out among all of those who applied for test translation and won me instantly. His solutions for the words and verses I couldn’t find myself was at the same time so obvious but also very creative, he carefully read all the poems in Croatian and tried to preserve their sounds, rhythm and meaning in the English translation – which is not an easy thing to do! In doing so, he proved to be a poet himself and I am forever grateful that he gave such a beautiful voice to my poems in English.