Book editor and coach: fiction and cultural anthropology
(1) Developmental editing
(2) Line editing/copyediting
(3) Book coaching
Niches: fantasy, science fiction, horror, literary fiction, cultural anthropology, ethnography
Are you a fiction author or creative scholar in need of help? Maybe you're struggling to finish your book, or in need of fresh inspiration with a finished draft?
If so, you’re in the right place.
I’m Andy, a book editor and coach who runs a business called The Narrative Craft. I have over fifteen years of combined writing and editing experience: over ten years as a research scholar in cultural anthropology, and nearly five years as an editorial business owner. I've completed over 200 projects to date.
My background in cultural anthropology and training in counselling means I can help you expertly craft the social, historical, and psychological aspects of your storyworld.
As a professional developmental editor and copyeditor, and a member of the CIEP, I can also help you in crafting a well-polished text with prose that sings!
My specialist areas include:
- Science fiction
- Literary fiction
My services include:
- Courses in worldbuilding and storytelling craft
- Developmental editing
- Line editing/copyediting
With my help in navigating the book publishing process, you’ll end up feeling accomplished, satisfied, and self-assured when you submit your book for publishing.
Visit my website for more info, subscribe to my newsletter, or send me a message now. Let’s chat and work towards your publishing goals!
For weekly writing tips, sign up to The Narrative Craft newsletter.
1. Developmental/substantive editing
4. Book coaching
- Short stories
- Journal articles
- Academic book proposals
Full-time editorial business owner since 2019
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter (Researcher) – Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies, Regensburg, Germany (2018–2019)
Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (Linguistic Anthropology) – Institute of Ethnology and Folklore Research, Zagreb (2015–2017)
Club Ed (2021–2023)
- Club Ed Certificate in Developmental Editing of Fiction programme (a comprehensive programme that includes feedback on a full developmental edit from an editor and literary agent with over twenty years' experience)
The programme includes these courses:
- Advanced Developmental Editing
- Explorations: Editing Literary Fiction
- Coaching Writers
- How to Edit Query Letters, Synopses, and More
- Editing for Point of View and Perspective
- Editing for Plot and Story Structure
- Editing Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Editing for Character Development
- Editing for Worldbuilding and Setting
- Self-paced Introduction to Fiction Developmental Editing
Editorial Freelancers Association
- EFA Intermediate Line Editing for Fiction & Creative Nonfiction (2022)
- EFA Introduction to Line Editing Fiction & Creative Nonfiction (2022)
- EFA Copyediting Fiction (2022)
Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading
- CIEP The Art of Querying (2022)
- CIEP Introduction to Fiction Editing (2021)
- Developmental Editing for Academics (2021)
- CIEP Copyediting 3 (Progress) – Pass (2021, 85%)
- CIEP Copyediting 2 (Headway) – Pass (2021)
- CIEP Basic Editorial Test – Pass (2020, 85%)
- SfEP Editing with Word (2019)
- SfEP Copyediting 1 (2019)
Besides many indie author clients, I have also collaborated with a variety of publishers, including:
Alaska Journal of Anthropology
Bauhaus Dessau Stiftung
science fiction, fantasy, horror, literary fiction, ethnography
BA Natural Sciences (History and Philosophy of Science), University of Cambridge
MA Anthropological Research, University of Manchester
MSc History of Science, Technology, and Medicine, University of Manchester
PhD in Social Anthropology, University of Manchester
Practitioner of Transactional Analysis
CELTA Pass A in teaching English as a foreign language
Goethe C2 German
HSK3 Mandarin Chinese (2021)
C2 Croatian exam (Distinction, 2016)
DELE B2 Spanish (2012)
The Editor's Toolkit
"Working with Andy made my debut novel better, and the results in distribution and reviews prove it. Now we've produced two books together in the same series. I would absolutely recommend working with The Narrative Craft if you're in need of sound feedback, a great partner in the process, and a push in the best direction."
Nathan Wagner, Alternative Western Author
"The edits were necessary and incredibly valuable. I learned a lot about my own perspective and how it bleeds into characters, and how to extricate myself from that or lean into it. The editorial report was one of the greatest feedback tools I have ever received, as it covered so many aspects that, as the author, I tended to gloss over."
Vincent Burke, Fantasy Romance Author
"I love edits like this – thank you very much that you immerse yourself so much in the story, its world, culture, and language; this is invaluable for translating all those details that create a unique atmosphere from German to English."
Markus Gut, Literary Fantasy Author
"English is not my first language. I needed someone like Andrew to help me gain confidence with my words, and I wanted to still feel like the words were mine when the editing was done. He is easy to work with, and I will send him my next novel too."
Anka B. Troitsky, Science Fiction Author