|Location||Colwall Green, Malvern, Herefordshire|
|Telephone||07541 758 016|
What do I do?
I offer editing and proofreading of any kind of document, including books, newsletters and magazines, novels and biographies, and websites and blogs. I am a flexible and friendly editor and always try to combine sensitivity to your style with the rigour of an editor’s eye.
My services include copyediting, both general non-fiction and academic, and proofreading, and I also work on fiction, mainly for independent authors.
Who do I work for?
- Publishers and project management companies
- Academics: books, journal papers (pre-submission), research papers, language course materials
- Businesses: blogs, magazine articles, websites, leaflets, brochures, catalogues. in-house communications
- Authors: (auto)biographies, novels, short stories
Freelance since 2005, I have copy-edited a large number of non-fiction titles for various academic publishers, mostly in linguistics, but also in sociology, philosophy and education.
I have also edited papers and books for academics in the UK and across the world on a range of subjects, including linguistics, speech technology, sociology, international relations, development and economics.
I also edit for businesses, including websites and blogs, in-house communications, valuation reports, training manuals and tree-ring reports.
Most of my fiction work has been for independent authors. Almost all of it has involved continuity and plot checking as well as more general editing.
Qualifications and training
Recent courses include:
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics (CIEP, 2020)
- CIEP conferences 2020, 2021
- SfEP conferences 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Fiction editing development day (SfEP, 2016)
- Practical mark-up of PDFs (SfEP, 2016)
- Introduction to fiction editing (SfEP, 2015)
- On-screen editing 1 & 2 (SfEP, 2014, 2016)
- Introduction to web editorial skills (SfEP, 2012)
- Publishers and PM companies
- Cambridge University Press
- Newgen (formerly Out of House Publishing Solutions), for Cambridge University Press, Taylor & Francis, Critical Publishing, Manchester University Press, IB Tauris, Arc
- Orphans Press
- SRA Books
- Tickly Whiskers Publishing
- Crux Publishing
- HotHive Books
- Commercial (editing and proofreading):
- Clearly Presented Ltd
- Tree Ring Services
- Sidney Phillips
- On the Sauce Again (blog)
- Aachen University
- SafeLane Global
- Aspire Consultancy
- Fiction (editing): various self-publishing authors
My non-fiction subject specialisms include:
- linguistics: phonetics, phonology, accents, dialects, grammar, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, sociolinguistics
- sociology and other humanities and social sciences
- environment: nature, green issues, organic gardening, wildlife
My fiction specialist areas include:
- science fiction
The most reliable and sensitively attuned copyediting I have encountered
In your respect for the detail, and careful consultations with me on everything, you have been confidence-instilling at every turn. I have 3 other things at proof-stage at the moment, and can say without hesitation that yours is the most reliable and sensitively attuned copyediting I have encountered.
Judith Buchanan, author of Shakespeare on Silent Film (Cambridge University Press, 2009)
You add a large touch of humanity to the isolating activity of writing
I still marvel at the sharpness of your eye in finding the errors. I appreciate your comments – some of them make me smile … All your comments make me think and you make very sensible suggestions. … I am confident in publishing this one knowing that errors and inconsistencies will not mar the writing so giving the book a chance to be read without distraction.
You actually add real value to what I do, are so professional, never make demands, and add a large touch of humanity to the isolating activity of writing. And I love your asides in the comments you make and deeply treasure when you say you like the book.
Ted Dunphy, independent author of Rowing Down the World to Auckland (Canaan-Star Publishing, 2015), Don't Poke the Fire (Canaan-Star Publishing, 2015) and The Devil to Pay (Canaan-Star Publishing, 2015), Snuff O'Brien's Private War (Canaan-Star Publishing, 2017), and A View from the Boiler House Door (Canaan-Star Publishing, 2018), the Teachers Count trilogy (working title), August 2021
WOO HOO! I’m done! Thanks again for your very careful reading/copy-editing, Sue. Like I said, you found omissions where previous book and journal editors did not, and I’m grateful for that (as future generations of scholars, will also be, hopefully).
John R Rickford, author of Variation, Versatility and Change in Sociolinguistics and Creole Studies. (Cambridge University Press, 2019)
You saved our bacon!
On behalf of the editors, I would like thank you for the excellent job you have done as copy editor. We couldn’t have asked for a better one, and on occasions you 'saved our bacon’ (well my bacon, then!) and in doing so helped us to avoid some glaring errors. We couldn’t have asked for a better copy editor. You were truly outstanding.
Brian Hopkins: Cambridge Encyclopedia of Child Development (Cambridge University Press, 2017)
Sue not only identified problems, but also suggested solutions that were always completely consistent with the style and content of the book
Sue provides excellent, proactive copy-editing services. She just completed work on a new book of mine, and was fast, thorough and easy to work with. A particular characteristic of her work is that she not only identified problems, but also suggested solutions that were always completely consistent with the style and content of the book. Great work, and I'm certain the book will be much better as a result.
David Cropley, associate professor of engineering innovation at the University of South Australia, author of Creativity and Crime (Cambridge University Press, 2013)
Sue is an extremely dependable and highly skilled copy-editor. She supports Out of House with excellent copy-editing work across a range of subject areas and always delivers on schedule.
Jo Bottrill, managing director, Newgen UK (formerly Out of House Publishing Solutions)