I help publishers, charities and businesses communicate clearly with their audiences.
I enjoy working on a wide range of projects, love untangling complicated sentences, and am great at bringing clarity and purpose to confusing or uninspiring copy. I’d be delighted to work with you to make sure your words are doing their job properly.
I work for a variety of publishers, as well as charities of all sizes, businesses, and individual self-publishing clients.
I'm experienced in working on books, magazines, websites, and digital projects such as video captions.
I particularly enjoy working with charities and on lifestyle-related 'make a difference'-type content.
I also have experience in management of large editorial projects, such as the proofreading of the TNIV Bible and the compiling of an annual review with the need to balance the requirements of numerous stakeholders from across an organisation.
MA Language Studies, Lancaster University
BA English Language and Linguistics, Bangor University
- Copy-Editing Skills, Publishing Training Centre
- Proofreading for Editors, Publishing Training Centre
- Digital Proofreading, Publishing Training Centre
- Complete Exciting Treatments, Euroscript
- Making a Drama out of a Crisis, Euroscript
- Digital Storytelling, BBC Academy/University of Birmingham
- Digital Photography, The Open University
Although I’ll gladly work on almost anything I’m asked to turn my hand to, my passions (and the majority of my experience) are in the following areas:
- charity copy (information for individual and corporate supporters, appeal letters, envelope copy, etc)
- international development (I have experience of living in a developing country and working on promotional materials for local charities)
- Christian lifestyle (Bible guides, ‘how to’ features, ethical discussions, small group materials, children’s resources)
- B2C communications (including ghostwritten columns for a bank, editing the website of a firm of solicitors, editing advertising copy for billboards)
- environmental issues (especially consumer-focused pieces)
- adoption (I’m an adoptive parent with a variety of experiences of the social care system)
- SEND parenting (specifically FASD, autism, and ADHD)
- Hodder & Stoughton
- Lion Hudson
- Woodland Trust
- Scripture Union
- The Salvation Army
- Quakers in Britain
- World Vision UK
- Care for the Family
- Adoption UK
- Preach magazine
- Splendid Books
- Woman Alive
- FASD Trust
- Numerous self-publishing authors
Sarah is reliable, professional and a pleasure to work with. Her love of the written word is evident in her work, which is always superbly crafted with the intended audience in mind. As an editor, she has an excellent eye for detail, offers insightful suggestions and works consistently to a high standard.
DIGITAL MEDIA AND PUBLICATIONS MANAGER, WORLD VISION UK
Sarah is a terrific writer with exceptional attention to detail and a thorough approach to her research. She delivers on time and above expectation and is pleasant to deal with. Moreover, she has a real passion for her work, which shows in her writing and editing.
JOURNALIST AND FOUNDER, MUSE FLASH MEDIA
Sarah was 100% reliable and a true pleasure to work with. She copy-edited 12 issues of the magazine I edited and there was never any question that she’d deliver an excellent standard of work within the deadline. I wholeheartedly recommend her.
HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS, A ROCHA
Sarah has proven herself reliable, consistent, and accurate – essential qualities in an editor. She is a safe pair of hands.
PROJECT EDITOR, LION PUBLISHING
No matter the task – evocative prose, punchy marketing copy, our Annual Review – Sarah is quick to grasp the brief, works fast and always files on time. Her writing is engaging and sharp, and she has a knack for getting the tone just right. She is endlessly willing and utterly reliable. A joy to work with.
EDITOR, WOODLAND TRUST