|Location||Sally Moss Editorial, DoES Liverpool, 1st Floor, The Tapestry, 68-76 Kempston St, LIVERPOOL L3 8HL|
|Telephone||0845 652 2080|
I help people produce powerful writing on social and environmental solutions.
I work on web copy, educational materials, blog posts, theses, manuals, articles, scripts, reports and more.
With my help, you can ensure your texts do everything they should – enhance your professional image, make sense to the right people, tell the full story and create positive change.
I can support you in these ways:
- research and development
- writing / rewriting
- editing and proofreading.
My clients include businesses, non-profits, public sector bodies, creative professionals, independent authors, academics and students.
'I see Sally as an enabler of my work ... I know that irrespective of tight deadlines or other challenges, her work is always rigorous.'
'It’s a pleasure to work with someone who reaches out to understand your own work and wants to share that with others.'
Please scroll down to read client testimonials in full.
I’ve been a writer, editor and researcher in roles across sectors for over two decades, and a creative writer and committed activist for even longer. I became a freelance editorial specialist in 2008.
I frequently take part in training programmes and workshops so that I can offer maximum versatility to my clients in changing times - for example, in recent years I’ve developed my understanding of zero carbon planning, nonviolent communication and effective use of social media platforms.
Good working relationships, as well as good work, are important to me, and I’ve collaborated successfully with people from diverse personal and professional backgrounds.
If your content falls into one of these areas, there's an excellent chance I can help you:
- environment, climate change, climate psychology, climate justice, resilience, decarbonisation, sustainability, zero carbon
- nonviolence, social justice, activism
- human rights, equalities, compliance, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, feminism
- sexual violence, childhood sexual abuse (CSA), survivor activism
- mental health, physical health, personal development
- social sciences, humanities, education, economics, politics
- arts, creative writing, theatre, improv / improvisation
- biography, autobiography, reminiscence
Training & mentoring
- Zero Carbon Britain: Making it happen! (Centre for Alternative Technology) 2017
- Permaculture design (WEA North West) 2014
- Weatherfronts 2014 & TippingPoint Newcastle 2012 (TippingPoint; communicating climate science through the arts)
- Ecopsychology (WEA North West) 2013
Nonviolent communication (NVC):
- Nonviolent communication foundation training (Sarah Ludford) 2019
Arts and media:
- Improv into sketch comedy (Liverpool Comedy Improv) 2019
- Editing for fiction (SfEP, now CIEP) 2016
- Introduction to film-making (WEA North West) 2014
- Radio journalism (Liverpool Community Radio) 2012
- Introduction to playwriting (Liverpool Everyman) 2011
Digital / social media:
- Facebook and Instagram (Women's Organisation) 2018
- Blogging for business (Women's Organisation) 2017
- Hootsuite (Women's Organisation) 2016
- Facebook (Women's Organisation) 2016
- Understanding SEO (Women's Organisation) 2015
- LinkedIn (Women's Organisation) 2015
- Twitter (Women's Organisation) 2015
- Web editing (CIEP) 2020
- Using macros in editing (Archive Publications) 2015
- Proofreading problems (SfEP, now CIEP) 2009
- Mentoring scheme (SfEP, now CIEP) 2009
- Basic proofreading by distance learning (Publishing Training Centre) 2008
Marketing and business:
- Business coaching (Edit Boost) 2018
- Sales development (School of Management, University of Bradford) 2008
- charities and non-profit / voluntary sector / third sector organisations
- UK public sector bodies
- creative professionals
- academics and students (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- independent authors (fiction and non-fiction)
- anyone else with a solution to share
I've worked extensively on writing in these forms:
- web copy, blogs, social media content
- scripts for performance, fiction and non-fiction manuscripts
- educational materials
- articles, reports, manuals
- academic papers, essays, theses and dissertations
- newsletters, reviews
- funding applications
Skills & services
- research and development
- writing / rewriting
- developmental editing
- substantive editing
- line editing
- editing non-native English / English as a second language (ESL) / English as an additional language (EAL) / English as a foreign language (EFL)
Qualifications & awards
- Permaculture Design Certificate
- Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Trinity Board)
- BA Hons Interdisciplinary Human Studies
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
WordPress: editing text, liaising with developers, developing site structure and generating SEO plugin content across a range of themes
I coordinated the Liverpool CIEP group from May 2016 to August 2020.
Sally, thanks again for the time and effort you put into our report on the local energy agenda. It has been well-received by other local enterprise partnerships and the government department which commissioned it.
This is testament to the thoroughness with which you went through the document from front to back and the significant improvements you made. Quite apart from the errors you picked up, the polish you gave to the grammar means that the final document scans much better.
Your knowledge of the subject matter from an editor’s perspective was valuable in helping us to weed out industry jargon and make a complex subject accessible to the layperson.
James Johnson, Head of Regional Programme, Local Energy North West
It was really helpful to get the summary you sent – it’s excellent – helped me see a structure that I’d not previously recognised, and then to see what else I think is needed, and where.
Donald Findlater, director of research and development, Lucy Faithfull Foundation & Stop it Now! UK and Ireland
Thank you for all of your hard work. I have looked at the formatted document and I think it looks fabulous!
Thank you so much for everything you did for me, you've been so helpful and supportive, every step of the way.
Denise S., independent author
Sally interviewed me about my work on ClimateCultures for a client’s blog and she made the process very relaxed and rewarding – from the initial approach, setting out the context for the questions she wanted to explore and starting the discussions, right through to the interview exchange and publication.
The interview was published simultaneously on the client’s site and on ClimateCultures, and Sally was happy to adjust her working hours to facilitate this.
Her attention to detail in the editing and presentation of the final piece was exemplary and never a burden. It’s a pleasure to work with someone who reaches out to understand your own work and wants to share that with others.
Mark Goldthorpe, ClimateCultures
I just wanted to say a massive thank you to you again. Your great synopsis definitely attracts readers! My book has reached No. 1 and No. 5 in two categories of Free E-book Top 100 today!
Marion R., independent author
Thank you for your very high standard of work, and for all the reports you have proofread so far. They are perfect. I wish everyone was as easy to deal with as you.
Sunny Kundhi, SGS United Kingdom Limited
I see Sally as an enabler of my work ... I know that irrespective of tight deadlines or other challenges, her work is always rigorous.
Lorraine Charbonnier, Junior Research Fellow at T.wai – Torino World Affairs Institute