From illustrated books on art, architecture and design to magazines, research reports and websites, I can guarantee the highest level of care and attention for any project.
I am a highly experienced copyeditor, proofreader and subeditor with two decades of experience in the publishing industry. I have worked on publications for many high-profile clients, including Turner Prize-winning artist Lubaina Himid, architect David Chipperfield and artist Ryan Gander. I was project editor for the major contemporary photography survey Vitamin Ph: New Perspectives on Photography, published by Phaidon Press, as well as copyediting the catalogue for the Venice Architecture Biennale, several exhibition catalogues for Richard Nagy Gallery, and book projects for the British Council, the Crafts Council and the National Trust, among many other clients. I have worked in-house as Assistant Editor of The Art Newspaper, Production Editor of Icon magazine and Managing Editor of Contemporary magazine, as well as subediting for a variety of titles including GQ magazine, Apollo magazine, Disegno magazine and Jocks & Nerds magazine. I recently helped to launch The New Era, a quarterly magazine on interior design produced in Stockholm.
I can provide whatever level of service you require, from copyediting, line editing and proofreading to rewriting and substantive editing. I am an eagle-eyed editor and proofreader with a professional attitude and a passion for crafting the written word. I look forward to hearing from you
- Editing non-native English
- Developmental/substantive editing
- Plain/clear English
- Project management
- Website editing
- Illustrated books
- Multi-author books
- Fiction and non-fiction books
- Online materials
- Company literature
- Government reports
- Grant proposals
- Freelance since 2009
- Assistant Editor, The Art Newspaper, 2008-09
- Production Editor, Icon magazine, 2006-08
- Project Editor, Phaidon Press, 2005-06
- Managing Editor, Contemporary magazine, 2004-05
- Arts Editor and Subeditor, Press Association, 2001-04
Books, exhibition catalogues, websites and other publications:
- Andreas Martin-Löf Arkitekter – I copyedited and proofread the Swedish architect Andreas Martin-Löf's illustrated monograph One to One
- My Residence – I copyedited and proofread five illustrated books on Scandivian architecture and interior design produced by Residence magazine in Stockholm
- Hollybush Gardens/Koenig Books – I copyedited and proofread an illustrated monograph on Turner Prize-winning artist Lubaina Himid, titled Workshop Manual
- Eline McGeorge – I copyedited and proofread the Norwegian artist Eline McGeorge's illustrated exhibition catalogue As Spaces Fold, Companions Meet
- Alexander Lervik – I copyedited and proofread the Swedish designer Alexander Lervik's illustrated book Fifteen
- The British Council – I copyedited the British Council publication on the Maker Library Network
- The Crafts Council – I copyedited the exhibition materials for the Crafts Council exhibition States of Play
- Swedese – I copyedited and proofread promotional exhibition materials for the Swedish design brand
- The National Trust – I copyedited a National Trust publication for Apollo magazine
- David Chipperfield – I copyedited architect David Chipperfield's catalogue, Common Ground, for the 13th Venice Architecture Biennale
- Ryan Gander – I proofread the British artist Ryan Gander's illustrated book Culturefield
- Richard Nagy Gallery – I copyedited and proofread illustrated exhibition catalogues on The Silverman Collection, George Grosz and Alfred Kubin. I also proofread the gallery's full website
- Firstsite gallery – I proofread the illustrated exhibition catalogue Steven Claydon: Culpable Earth
- Jane Withers Studio – I copyedited the publication Really and exhibition text for the Milan Furniture Fair
- John Morgan studio – I proofread the website of design practice John Morgan studio
- Kellenberger-White – I proofread course materials for the Design Interactions MA at the Royal College of Art
- Åbäke – I proofread a series of postcards published by the design collective Åbäke
- The Design Embassy – I copyedited various documents for the Australian government on eSafety and Safety by Design.
- Trendgruppen PR – I have worked on the Swedish PR firm's website and press releases
- The New Era
- The Art Newspaper
- Jocks & Nerds
- Dirty Furniture
- A-L Journal
- City to Sea's Food-to-go report
- Various eSafety reports for the Australian government
- Contemporary art
- History of Art
- Fiction (literary fiction, children's fiction)
- Academic dissertations/theses (PhD, Masters and BA levels)
- MA in Contemporary Art Theory (Distinction), Goldsmiths College, University of London
- Postgraduate Diploma in Arts Management (Distinction), Birkbeck College, University of London
- BA in English Literature/History of Art (2.1), University College London
- CIEP Word for Practical Editing course, 2020
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Photoshop
Rosie was a joy to work with, and was extremely professional and knowledgeable in the English language. She was extremely dedicated, determined, and willing to making my book standout. I appreciate her professionalism and awesome work!
Zach Breeden, fiction author, USA
As a writer it is always hard to find an editor who really gets your tone of voice – I’ve worked with Rosie on several projects now and she is a true genius. She will make any copy come to life and make it flow whilst still keeping its original outline. She is effective and very meticulous.
Jonna Dagliden Hunt, design journalist, Stockholm, Sweden
Writing about visual art is problematic enough and “International Art English” is routinely criticised as being difficult and alienating. As a visual artist, when it comes to making my sometimes oblique ideas and ricocheting bulletpoints readable, working with Rosie has been a revelation. She makes the words flow. They become a pleasure to read. She also has the ability to alter the level of technical details for different audiences, meaning that each edited text is handled in an efficient and decisive way.
Jaykoe, artist, London
I contacted Rosie through recommendation – and I’m so glad I did! I needed a quick turn around, it was very last minute. Rosie did a brilliant job at editing a chapter for my book. I struggle with words and grammar and felt a little anxious about sending Rosie my work in case she didn’t understand it. Rosie reassured me that it would be fine, she turned around the project quickly and before my deadline and she did a fantastic job at turning my piece into a superb, easy-reading article.
Emma Fullwood, fitness instructor, Brighton, UK
In the process of writing the entire manuscript for my book One to One I realized I could only do it well if I wrote in Swedish, which is my mother tongue language. After the translation to English I felt a bit unsure if the tonality in the texts was correct and also if the translator really had understood what I meant when I first wrote the text in Swedish. Rosie Spencer was a perfect match for me working on copyediting and proofreading and helping me to find that tone that I think is so important. I can warmly recommend Rosie for texts of any size or full book projects.
Andreas Martin-Löf, architect, Stockholm, Sweden
Rosie Spencer edited and proofread my large exhibition catalogue, which included a number of texts written by authors with English as a second language, references to more than 100 images of artworks and captions all set within a quite unusual book design. It was truly impressive how Rosie managed to keep a track of all the materials and every little detail of the content in this book, as well as doing an amazing job editing the language and structure of the catalogue texts.
Eline McGeorge, artist, Oslo, Norway