I'm a thorough, flexible and reliable freelance proofreader, specialising in proofreading and editing for board game publishers and designers. I ensure accuracy, clarity and consistency across all written game components and marketing/crowdfunding materials. Recent proofreading projects include rulebooks, Kickstarter pages, box covers, cards, boards and player aids for board and card games with historical, fantasy, space, detective and quiz themes. Recent editing projects include restructuring, rewording and simplifying rulebooks to make them easier to understand.
I also proofread reference manuals, books, newsletters, information sheets and websites. Recent projects include a children's book, a World War II reference manual, a business biography, a historical essay and information sheets for a dance/martial arts school.
- Editing board game rulebooks
- Proofreading US English and non-native English
- Board games and card games
- History (British, European, medieval, military, World War II)
- Children's publishing (fiction, young children)
- Business (marketing)
- Biography (business)
- Board games
- Online materials
- Information sheets
Training and Qualifications
- E-learning modules (Publishing Training Centre – PTC), 2019: Adobe Tools for Editors, Editorial Style, Author Queries, What is Copy-editing?, Editing Fiction, Editing References, Editing Illustrations, A Copy-editor's Guide to Working with Typesetters, A Copy-editor's Guide to Working with Authors, Copyright Essentials, Introduction to Publishing and Introduction to Marketing
- Annual conference (SfEP), 2018
- Editing with Word (SfEP), 2017
- Basic Proofreading: Digital Skills (PTC), 2017
- Basic Proofreading by Distance Learning – merit (PTC), 2016
- Grammar at Work (PTC), 2016
- Freelance since 2016
- BA (Hons) German and Spanish
- Indie Boards & Cards
- Indie Game Studios
- David J. Mortimer Game Design
- Surprised Stare Games
- Triple Ace Games
- Elf Creek Games
- Gibsons Games
- Sabrewolf Games
- Mindclash Games
- Mighty Boards
- Cucafera Games
- Stuff by Bez
- Hush Hush Projects
- Linden Lake Games
- Cards on the Table Games
- Gindie Publishing House
- Feudalesimo e Libertà
"Thanks again for your service. I really appreciated your level of quality and your flexibility in terms of timing/availability."
Jacob Jaskov, Hush Hush Projects
"Rachael is fast, thorough and professional – everything you need from a proofreader, plus she understands games! I shall call on her for my next project."
Richard Wolfrik Galland, Sabrewolf Games
"For my next thing (Wibbell++) I had tens of blind testers, several volunteer editors, another professional editor, and Rachael was still able to suggest improvements when I was sure there would be none possible. I feel her skill is impeccable."
Behrooz Shahriari (Stuff by Bez)
"Rachael ensured consistency and clarity across both the components and rules of a new game I was hoping to pitch to publishers. Her thoroughness and attention to detail ensured that I could present the best version of my game and maximise its chances of success."
Matthew Dunstan, Game Designer
"Rachael Mortimer's work was instrumental in getting a good rulebook published, especially when considering her thorough approach and timely delivery of the edits."
"My sincere thanks to Rachael Mortimer at rachaelmortimerproofreading.co.uk. Her thorough and professional proofreading of my chapter book for children has given me confidence that it is ready (as it ever will be) for submission. I was working to a deadline and Rachael provided a response in plenty of time for me to make the changes I needed. Her suggested amendments were easy to follow and extremely helpful."
Emma Dykes, Independent Author