Rachael MortimerAdvanced Professional Member
I'm a thorough, flexible and reliable freelance copyeditor and proofreader of fiction and board games for independent and self-publishing authors, publishers and designers.
I proofread any genre of fiction. For copyediting, it helps if I’m familiar with the genre. My personal interest is in historical, fantasy, speculative, crime, literary and contemporary fiction. I have worked on books in the following genres for self-publishing authors or authors who are looking for agents/publishers:
- Historical fiction: adventure, romance, crime/thriller, alternate history, dual timeline
- Fantasy, sci-fi and speculative fiction: high fantasy, historical fantasy, dystopian fiction, sci-fi spy fiction, contemporary fiction with a supernatural element
For board game publishers, I proofread rulebooks, cards, box covers and other written components as a final check before the files go to print. I can edit rulebooks for publishers before final layout or for designers wanting to submit their game to publishers.
I also work on other written material such as non-fiction, websites, crowdfunding/Kickstarter pages, newsletters, information sheets, promotional material and blog posts.
If you’d like to work with an editorial professional who can help you ensure accuracy, clarity and consistency in your writing, please visit my website for more information or get in touch.
- UK and US English
- Fiction (historical, fantasy, sci-fi, speculative, crime, adventure, open world/choose your own adventure, anthologies, children’s/YA, literary and contemporary)
- Board games and card games
- Crowdfunding/Kickstarter pages
- Blog posts
- Information sheets
- Promotional material
Training and Qualifications
- Freelance since 2015
- Essential Proofreading (Publishing Training Centre, PTC)
- Copyediting 1 (CIEP)
- Copyediting: A Guide for Proofreaders (Margaret Aherne)
- Introduction to Fiction Editing (CIEP)
- Switching to Fiction (Louise Harnby)
- How to Write the Perfect Editorial Report (Louise Harnby)
- ProWritingAid Science Fiction Writers' Week webinars
- ProWritingAid Fantasy Writers' Week webinars
- ProWritingAid Crime Writers' Week webinars
- How to Read a Novel (Future Learn)
- Representing LGBTQ+ People in Fiction and Editing Sci-fi (CIEP Fiction Group meetings)
- Exploring Books for Children: Words and Pictures (OpenLearn)
- ACES: The Society for Editing webinars: Editing for Young Readers, Inclusive Language, Unconscious Bias, Immersive Copyediting for Fantasy & Science Fiction
- Editing with Word (SfEP, now CIEP)
- Annual conference 2021 (CIEP)
- Annual conference 2018 (SfEP)
- E-learning modules (PTC): Adobe Tools for Editors, Editorial Style, Author Queries, What is Copy-editing?, Editing Fiction, Editing References, Editing Illustrations, A Copy-editor's Guide to Working with Typesetters, A Copy-editor's Guide to Working with Authors, Copyright Essentials, Introduction to Publishing and Introduction to Marketing
- Proofreading Digital Skills (PTC)
- Grammar at Work (PTC)
- BA (Hons) German and Spanish
- Independent and self-publishing authors
- The History Quill
- Fabled Planet
- Game designers
- Indie Boards & Cards
- Indie Game Studios
- Iconiq Studios
- David J. Mortimer Game Design
- Surprised Stare Games
- Triple Ace Games
- Elf Creek Games
- Gibsons Games
- Sabrewolf Games
- Inside the Box Board Games
- Zombi Paella
- Mindclash Games
- Mighty Boards
- Cucafera Games
- Stuff by Bez
- Hush Hush Projects
- Linden Lake Games
- Cards on the Table Games
- Gindie Publishing House
- Feudalesimo e Libertà
"It was a real pleasure working with Rachael. Not only did I have confidence in her professional proofreading skills, but her enthusiasm and communication about the book was really encouraging and gave me lots of ideas about how to excite my audience. I look forward to working with her on future projects."
Kate Cunningham, Reading Riddle
“Rachael’s work on my new anthology exceeded my expectations, and has been paramount in ensuring the language is accurate and consistent throughout the book. The stories are set in different places around the world, and Rachael adjusted the text to make the spelling/punctuation match accordingly. I am very grateful for the work, and won’t hesitate to hire her for future projects. How it was completed so fast I don’t know. I can only assume that Rachael is some sort of wizard.”
Luke Melia, Author
"My sincere thanks to Rachael Mortimer at rachaelmortimerproofreading.co.uk. Her thorough and professional proofreading of my chapter book for children has given me confidence that it is ready (as it ever will be) for submission. I was working to a deadline and Rachael provided a response in plenty of time for me to make the changes I needed. Her suggested amendments were easy to follow and extremely helpful."
Emma Dykes, Independent Author
“Rachael proofread my rulebooks for Mission Command: Normandy, a fairly large World War 2 historical miniatures wargame. For the final rules, this involved a Reference Manual of over 120 pages, and an 80 page How to Play guide, including extensive sections of historical background. Rachael’s professional approach, communications skills, and fast turnaround ensured that we picked up on inconsistencies in style, grammar, spellings, and layout. It is always a pleasure to work with Rachael, and she is a vital part of our game publishing process.”
Alan Paull, Surprised Stare Games
"Thanks again for your service. I really appreciated your level of quality and your flexibility in terms of timing/availability."
Jacob Jaskov, Hush Hush Projects
"Rachael has become an essential part of getting our games to print. Her passion for games, coupled with her professional skills as a proofreader help us catch not only typos, but inconsistencies in style or grammar as well. She's fast, thorough, and a pleasure to work with."
Brent Dickman, Elf Creek Games
"Rachael is fast, thorough and professional – everything you need from a proofreader, plus she understands games! I shall call on her for my next project."
Richard Wolfrik Galland, Sabrewolf Games
"For my next thing (Wibbell++) I had tens of blind testers, several volunteer editors, another professional editor, and Rachael was still able to suggest improvements when I was sure there would be none possible. I feel her skill is impeccable."
Behrooz Shahriari (Stuff by Bez)
"Rachael ensured consistency and clarity across both the components and rules of a new game I was hoping to pitch to publishers. Her thoroughness and attention to detail ensured that I could present the best version of my game and maximise its chances of success."
Matthew Dunstan, Game Designer
"Rachael Mortimer's work was instrumental in getting a good rulebook published, especially when considering her thorough approach and timely delivery of the edits."