I'm a thorough, flexible and reliable freelance copyeditor and proofreader. I copyedit and proofread fiction and board games for publishers, independent/self-publishing authors and designers.
I proofread any genre of fiction. For copyediting, it helps if I’m familiar with the genre. My personal interest is in historical, crime, fantasy, children’s/YA, literary and contemporary fiction.
For board game publishers, I proofread rulebooks, cards, box covers and other written components as a final check before the files go to print. I can edit rulebooks for publishers before final layout or for designers wanting to submit their game to publishers.
I also work on other written material such as websites, crowdfunding/Kickstarter pages, newsletters, information sheets, promotional material and blog posts.
If you’d like to work with an editorial professional who can help you ensure accuracy, clarity and consistency in your writing, please visit my website for more information or get in touch.
- Copyediting and proofreading US English and non-native English
- Fiction books (historical, crime, fantasy, children’s/YA, literary and contemporary)
- Board games and card games
- History (British, European, medieval, Wars of the Roses, Tudor, World War II)
- Crowdfunding/Kickstarter pages
- Blog posts
- Information sheets
- Promotional material
Training and Qualifications
- Freelance since 2015
- Essential Proofreading (Publishing Training Centre, PTC)
- Copyediting 1 (CIEP)
- Copyediting: A Guide for Proofreaders (Margaret Aherne)
- Introduction to Fiction Editing (CIEP)
- Switching to Fiction (Louise Harnby)
- How to Read a Novel (Future Learn)
- Exploring Books for Children: Words and Pictures (OpenLearn)
- ACES: The Society for Editing webinars: Editing for Young Readers, Inclusive Language, Unconscious Bias, Immersive Copyediting for Fantasy & Science Fiction
- Editing with Word (SfEP, now CIEP)
- Annual conference 2018 (SfEP)
- E-learning modules (PTC): Adobe Tools for Editors, Editorial Style, Author Queries, What is Copy-editing?, Editing Fiction, Editing References, Editing Illustrations, A Copy-editor's Guide to Working with Typesetters, A Copy-editor's Guide to Working with Authors, Copyright Essentials, Introduction to Publishing and Introduction to Marketing
- Basic Proofreading: Digital Skills (PTC)
- Grammar at Work (PTC)
- BA (Hons) German and Spanish
- Independent authors and designers
- Indie Boards & Cards
- Indie Game Studios
- Iconiq Studios
- David J. Mortimer Game Design
- Surprised Stare Games
- Triple Ace Games
- Elf Creek Games
- Gibsons Games
- Sabrewolf Games
- Zombi Paella
- Mindclash Games
- Mighty Boards
- Cucafera Games
- Stuff by Bez
- Hush Hush Projects
- Linden Lake Games
- Cards on the Table Games
- Gindie Publishing House
- Feudalesimo e Libertà
"My sincere thanks to Rachael Mortimer at rachaelmortimerproofreading.co.uk. Her thorough and professional proofreading of my chapter book for children has given me confidence that it is ready (as it ever will be) for submission. I was working to a deadline and Rachael provided a response in plenty of time for me to make the changes I needed. Her suggested amendments were easy to follow and extremely helpful."
Emma Dykes, Independent Author
"Thanks again for your service. I really appreciated your level of quality and your flexibility in terms of timing/availability."
Jacob Jaskov, Hush Hush Projects
"Rachael is fast, thorough and professional – everything you need from a proofreader, plus she understands games! I shall call on her for my next project."
Richard Wolfrik Galland, Sabrewolf Games
"Rachael has become an essential part of getting our games to print. Her passion for games, coupled with her professional skills as a proofreader help us catch not only typos, but inconsistencies in style or grammar as well. She's fast, thorough, and a pleasure to work with."
Brent Dickman, Elf Creek Games
"For my next thing (Wibbell++) I had tens of blind testers, several volunteer editors, another professional editor, and Rachael was still able to suggest improvements when I was sure there would be none possible. I feel her skill is impeccable."
Behrooz Shahriari (Stuff by Bez)
"Rachael ensured consistency and clarity across both the components and rules of a new game I was hoping to pitch to publishers. Her thoroughness and attention to detail ensured that I could present the best version of my game and maximise its chances of success."
Matthew Dunstan, Game Designer
"Rachael Mortimer's work was instrumental in getting a good rulebook published, especially when considering her thorough approach and timely delivery of the edits."