|Location||BEVERLEY, EAST YORKSHIRE, HU17 9GU|
I help indie authors by providing comprehensive editing and proofreading services so that they can focus on telling their stories and selling books.
If you are concerned about any aspects of the editorial process as you prepare your manuscript for publication, then I can help take the pressure off. By carefully editing your work, I can take away the stress of worrying about punctuation, grammar and editorial style.
A fiction author? You can visit my website for a free guide designed to help you make the correct editorial decisions in an important aspect of your writing.
I can mark up documents on hard copy using the British Standard proofreading symbols (BS 5261C) or on-screen using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Microsoft Word. I'm particularly familiar with using Word add-in PerfectIt – ensuring my editing is as solid in the area of achieving consistency as it is in identifying and correcting errors. I'm also accustomed to performing rewrites where appropriate to provide clarity, while protecting the voice of the author.
- Plain/clear English
- Multi-author books
- Educational materials
- Theses and dissertations
Freelance since 2017
- Copyright Essentials, Publishing Training Centre (2020)
- Editorial Style, Publishing Training Centre (2020)
- Editing Fiction, Publishing Training Centre (2019)
- Introduction to Fiction Editing, Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (2019)
- Basic Proofreading, Publishing Training Centre (2017)
- Self-published authors
- Troubador Publishing
- Swales and Willis
- ALE (Academic Language Experts)
- Niche (Health & Social Care Consulting)
- Fiction (crime/mystery/thrillers, historical, popular, science fiction/fantasy/horror)
- Crime and criminology
- Social sciences studies (cultural studies, sociology, social policy)
- Psychotherapy (eating disorders, psychoanalytic)
- Racial studies
- Sports (rugby league, football)
- BSc Criminology and Sociology
- NVQ Level 4 in Magazine Journalism
- Microsoft Word (Office 365), Track changes
- Adobe Acrobat
Martin was a pleasure to work with and made the editing process very straightforward. He has admirable attention to detail and was particularly helpful in ensuring accurate and consistent referencing throughout the text.
Jill Mccanney, Routledge author
Thank you Martin Murphy for your attention to detail in preparing my book for publication. I appreciate the time and effort you put in and what a great job you did.
Madhavi Narwana Parker, Routledge author
I am certainly impressed with how thorough and meticulous a job you have done, and I thank you for that.
Colin Corliss, Routledge author
I was particularly impressed by Martin's ability to scrutinise a somewhat sensitive appendix section in order to find any issues with legality or confidentiality.
Hayley Russell, Troubador Publishing
Again, we appreciate all the attention you have given our book. It is already better because of it.
Stephen Barnard, Routledge author