|Location||Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, UK|
Hi, I’m Louis, a copyeditor, proofreader, tutor and novelist with over twenty-five years' expert experience in commercial publishing. I'm based in Warwickshire, England, but work online for corporate and independent clients around the world.
I’ve been a professional wordworker since 1996, and have run my own business since 2009. I hold a doctorate in English literature, I'm a creative writing tutor at Oxford University, and I've edited and proofread scores of fiction and general trade non-ficton books. I also work on higher education courses, corporate documents, marketing material and academic articles. On the other side of the page, I've written nine novels.
I'll help you get the best out of your text and polish your publication ready for distribution, print or upload.
- Are you a publisher in need of a highly experienced proofreader and copyeditor who knows the workflow back to front?
- Have you written a novel and want it polished to a professional shine?
- Do you want to squash any errors before your course, brochure or newsletter goes to print or web?
You've come to the right place!
With over twenty years of professional wordworking experience in retail marketing and commercial and educational publishing, I'm a copyeditor and proofreader with a laser eye for detail.
I work in British, American and Commonwealth English, and have edited several titles in translation.
Here are some of the great books I've worked on:
- I’ve edited and proofread scores of books for major publishers, including Random House, Penguin, Pan Macmillan, Head of Zeus, and Titan Books.
- I’ve worked on thrillers, SFFH, literary fiction, YA and children's books, memoir, travel, cookery, law, business, sport and other general trade titles.
- I hold a doctorate in English Literature. My thesis looked at apocalypse in Douglas Coupland, while my MA covered contemporary vampire fiction.
- I tutor creative writing and drama writing at the Oxford University Department for Continuing Education. I also designed and tutored an online course in proofreading and copyediting for the Writers’ College, and tutored their Write a Novel course.
- For eight years I wrote, edited, designed and laid out print and online newsletters, brochures, posters and web content for Exclusive Books, South Africa’s major bookselling chain.
- I was a bookseller, buyer and deputy store manager of Exclusive Books' flagship store in Hyde Park, Johannesburg.
- I edited charitable grant funding documents for major corporations including Anglo American and the FirstRand Foundation.
- I was the commissioning editor for Random House Struik’s online imprint.
- I copyedited the academic journal, English Studies in Africa.
- I taught second-language English bridging courses for science students and practised as a writing consultant at the Wits Writing Centre.
- As an author, I have written nine novels.
I understand the editorial process from all sides and am sensitive to writers’, publishers’ and clients’ needs.
- Fiction: genre, literary, crime, thrillers, mystery, adventure, science fiction, fantasy, horror, short stories, young adult, children's, middle grade; world literature, fiction in translation
- Travel, sport, cookery
- Higher education course material in business, maths, computer science, and social sciences
- Marketing and promotional material
- Web content
- Corporate documents
- Academic articles in education, film and literary studies, and the humanities
Qualifications & Training
- PhD English Literature, 2011
- MA English Literature, 1998
- SfEP Copyediting 2, 2018
- SfEP Proofreading 2, 2018
- Writers’ College Scriptwriting course, 2016
- Several short courses on topics ranging from Linux networking, PHP and QuarkXPress to film financing and French cookery. Learning new things is one of the constant pleasures of my work.
Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, HTML, CSS
“I really like your editing. You’re sensible and sensitive. Best editor ever.”
I - fantasy author
“Thanks so much, you were brilliant, perceptive and sensitive. I really loved working with you and hope we can do this again in the future.”
J - crime author
“Let me say: thank you. There is a lot of gratitude packed into those two words as you have vastly helped turn this into a much better novel.”
N - thriller author
“I am so thankful for your expert guidance and the insight you have been able to share.”
T - YA publisher
“I've just finished reading your edit and think it's great – very thorough, yet tactful, with the right level of intervention this MS required.”
T - fiction publisher