|Location||Jackson Proofreading Services, Star Brewery, Lewes, East Sussex|
I am a highly reliable, professional, friendly editor and work on all types of content for academics, students and publishers
How can I help?
Perhaps you feel unsure with your spelling, grammar, text layout or academic references. Perhaps English isn't your first language or you're submitting to an English-language journal. Perhaps your eyes are simply tired from reading the same text over and over again. I'd be delighted to help.
My clients come from the UK, Europe and other parts of the world and are often not native English speakers.
My work ranges in size from major multi-author academic books, educational textbooks and PhD theses to journal articles, student essays, audit reports and blog posts. I have a professional and academic background in the social sciences and law and bring my own specialist knowledge and skills to my editing. I edit in both British and American English.
Most importantly, though, I care about what I do and want to make the same commitment to editing your work that you made when you wrote it.
For more information about me, please see my website
Copy-editing and proofreading, both on screen and in hard copy
Editing non-native English, anglicising and Americanising
- Books (single author and multi-author)
- PhD and master's theses and dissertations
- Journal articles
- Online materials
For details of my current and recent work, see my website
Freelance since 2015
- Annual Conferences 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Proofreading Theses and Dissertations
- Editing with Word
- Brush up your grammar
- Copy-editing 1: Introduction
- Proofreading 1: Introduction
- Indexing Books as a Career
- Working with Translation: Theory and Practice
- Taylor & Francis
- Florence Production
- Academics – journal articles, submissions
- Students – PhD theses
- Politics (British/world politics, political theory, international relations, current affairs)
- Law (human rights, international/comparative, criminal law)
- Economics (political, theory, econometrics)
- Business studies (advertising, management, organisational behaviour, small businesses)
- Social sciences
Plus further experience in...
- Philosophy, environmental science, medicine and nursing, psychology, art history, music…
BA Philosophy and Political Science, University of Birmingham, UK
LLB Law, College of Law, London, UK
LLM Law and Political Justice, University of London, UK
SFEP basic editorial test: 90%
Specialised software and reference materials
- PDF annotator with proof-correction stamps
- OED, ODWE, New Hart's Rules
- CMOS, APA, Bluebook
You have been such an amazing help … I am eternally grateful. This has made my work much more professional, and with such a swift reply to each piece of work. So many many thanks and I will be using your service again in the near future … payment will be worth every penny.
K. Brain, undergraduate essays
Hugh maintained a high level of consistency in his corrections, and used the materials sent to him to good effect ... it was clear that that Hugh was actively using the design spec to guide his decision making ... Hugh showed good engagement with the proofs and the guidance. His queries were very sensible and well explained.
Assessment team, Oxford University Press
I have been through the text and have found nothing of note to feedback to you other than you have done a great job editing the text! Many thanks for all your efforts with this book, it is much appreciated.
Senior production editor, Taylor & Francis Group
I am very impressed with your work! A big thank you for such a great (and quick) job you have done ... I have recommended your services to my colleagues ... It was a pleasure to work with you.
A. Saraeva, PhD thesis