Fiction editing and proofreading for publishers and independent authors.
Why should you choose me?
- You'll receive a sensitive, thoughtful, and supportive service, tailored to you and your project.
- You'll benefit from the knowledge and expertise I have accumulated through thousands of hours of editorial work since 2015.
- I'm highly recommended by my clients – in the last financial year, 89% of my work was commissioned by repeat customers.
Training and qualifications
I think training and continuing professional development are extremely important. Here are the key courses I have completed:
- An Editor's Guide to Editing Fiction (Publishing Training Centre), 2021
- Copyright for Editorial Professionals (Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading), 2020
- Introduction to Fiction Editing (Society for Editors and Proofreaders), 2019
- Basic Editing by Distance Learning (PTC), 2018
- Basic Proofreading: Digital Skills (PTC), 2017
- Mentoring scheme (SfEP), 2016
- P2: Proofreading Progress (SfEP), 2015
- Grammar at Work (PTC), 2015
- Basic Proofreading by Distance Learning (PTC), 2015
I've also passed the SfEP's basic editorial test, an objective demonstration of the required skills, knowledge and judgement to copy-edit and proofread to a high standard. (The SfEP is now the CIEP.)
I offer four core services:
- Line- and copy-editing: this is editing at the sentence level. It'll look at clarity, readability and consistency, alongside areas such as grammar and spelling.
- Proofreading: the last check before publication, usually focused on picking up small errors that remain after previous rounds of editing.
- Manuscript critique: a critique will look at the novel as a whole. The result will be a multi-page report on big-picture elements such as structure and characterisation.
- Developmental editing: a development edit will also look at the novel as a whole, but this service is more hands-on than a critique. You'll receive a multi-page report as well as detailed notes, explanations and suggestions on the manuscript itself.
Each service is bespoke, so please don't hesitate to contact me to discuss your specific requirements.
- Troubador Publishing Ltd
- The Book Guild Ltd
- SilverWood Books
- Independent authors
I'm a Partner Member of the Alliance of Independent Authors.
Subjects and specialisms
- general commercial fiction
- fantasy fiction, science-fiction and speculative fiction
- crime, thriller, and mystery fiction
- contemporary British fiction
- young adult (YA) and new adult (NA) fiction
- fiction written by LGBTQ+ authors and/or featuring LGBTQ+ characters
Find out more
“Lovely and professional edit. Very pleased with the quality of work.”
Katherine Ward, editorial assistant
"Hannah McCall carried out an excellent critique of my manuscript, and completed the task exactly on schedule. She was very thorough with her work and spotted all the flaws, but offered usable solutions, advice and encouragement. I was very impressed, and grateful for her efforts."
Peter Hingston, author and publisher
"Insightful and sympathetic copy-editing that improved the storytelling."
Ian Hudson, independent author
"More than happy with the service I received. It was speedy and thorough. ... I would definitely recommend and will be using Black Cat again."
August Head, independent author
"Hannah did a great job with the final edit of my manuscript. I would highly recommend."
Ryan W. Aslesen, best-selling independent author