|Location||India, with international clients|
I am an editor, Alexander Technique teacher, and dancer based in Bangalore, India. I have worked in editing and proofreading for global clients since 2016. While I edit I make sure that the language is accessible, clear, direct, conscious, and compelling. Rather than just correcting grammar, I listen for the music in the language. I enjoy the process of refining, tweaking, and cleaning up a document, in collaboration with the author. I love a good, long references list and a bottomless cup of tea.
Although most of my work is in academic and non-fiction editing, I am open to working on any kind of content, including creative writing. The subjects I am versed in include psychology, neuroscience, dance, music, Alexander Technique, fine art, art history, theatre, economics, energy, climate change, geology, history, literature, political science, sociology, and anthropology.
I am happy to edit a free 500-word sample for you to see if we might work well together. Email me at [email protected] with an excerpt of your manuscript.
The majority of my work is in academic copyediting and proofreading. However, I customise my work and approach for each client. I use Word, LaTex, and PDF. These are the services I offer:
- Line editing
- Developmental editing
- Substantive editing/rewriting
- Document formatting (Word Styles)
- References (checking and formatting) – CMoS, APA, Harvard, Vancouver, AAA, and house styles
- Editorial and writing workshops – on style points and effective structures of academic documents – for editors and researchers
I edit the following kinds of manuscripts for global clients, including EFL/ESL authors:
- Journal and magazine articles
- Master's and PhD dissertations
- Multi-author books
- Policy briefs
- Grant proposals
- Government and corporate reports
- Website content
- Travel guides
- Press releases
I have studied psychology, dance, and Alexander Technique extensively, so I most enjoy working on manuscripts that deal with these subjects. I am also inclined to the related fields of theatre, literature, music, fine art, art history, and neuroscience. Much of my work has involved economics, environmental science, geology, energy, climate change, political science, sociology, anthropology, and history, so I am quite familiar with these areas.
Training and qualifications
- Introduction to Fiction Editing (CIEP), in progress
- Copyediting Progress (CIEP), 2021
- Copyediting Headway (CIEP), 2019
- In-house copyediting/proofreading training (The Clean Copy), 2017
- BA Psychology and Dance (Mount Holyoke College), 2015
Research organisations and think tanks
- Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), India
- Centre for Internet and Society (CIS), India
- Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS), India
- Ecology, Economy and Society (EES), India
- International Water Management Institute (IWMI), India
- Centre for Social and Economic Progress (CSEP), India
- Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology & the Environment (ATREE), India
- Centre for Economic and Social Studies (CESS), India
- Aspire Design, India
- Quicksand, India
- Innovision, India
- Institute of Economic Affairs, UK
- Pearson, India and UK
- WW Norton and Co Psychology Media Department, USA
- Mapin Publishing, India
Journals and publications
- Indian Journal of Medical Ethics (IJME)
- Economic and Political Weekly (EPW)
- Veg Planet
- China Highlights
- University of Oslo, Norway
- Leiden University, The Netherlands
- Major League Rugby (MLR), USA
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (CSMVS), India
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), India
- Studio Slip, India
- Fit The Soul, India
- Barton Trust, India
Major League Rugby has two large handbooks for its members. The organisation of these documents and their many appendices is complicated and, at times, rather inception-y. Dayita Nereyeth formatted these handbooks for us using Word Styles and offered suggestions for more efficient organisation of the content. She worked with us to ensure consistency and clarity throughout. Because of a time crunch before the start of our 2022 season, we could not include copyediting in the scope of work, but based on our experience working with her this time around, we will definitely ask Dayita to copyedit the handbooks before the next season begins.
Emma Black, director of finance and operations, Major League Rugby
As a grant writer, I am always curious about how I can make my ideas more accessible to the reader. Dayita Nereyeth's keen attention to detail has often helped me make my ideas more approachable. She also provides feedback in a constructive manner, which is very important to me as an artist. Working with Dayita is a collaborative experience, and I would recommend her to any artist looking for ways to take their grant proposals to the next level.
Ainesh Madan, independent choreographer, dancer, and teacher
Dayita Nereyeth is the person I turn to for all my editing needs. Blog after blog I send her and her response is extraordinary. She always delivers promptly, even the few times I need it turned around in less than 24 hours. She quickly grasped my writing style and thought process. Her edits keep my style unchanged and refine the structure. Her attention to detail and the creativity she brings in is always a delight. Since she is a stickler for deadlines, I can concentrate on my other work. I am so pleased with her work that I have recommended her to a couple of other companies.
Jessy Jacob, founder, Fit The Soul
Dayita Nereyeth has worked on creating press releases for my design studio and on proofreading my website content. Her work is precise and creative, and she is clear in communications with me. I'm so glad that she has taken over this work for me!
Kamini Rao, founder, Studio Slip