|Location||Works: Worldwide | Based: Scotland|
|Telephone||Please email to arrange a call.|
I work with small businesses, government departments, non-profit organisations and charities on writing clear text and getting your message across: your communications and publications, your blog, website or social media posts, your newsletter, annual report, marketing materials, in-house guides and manuals. As well as mindful editing and proofreading, I can design and format your documents in Word or InDesign using styles and templates, and can advise on writing good web content that will be found in search engines (SEO). I can create a house style guide for you to ensure consistency in your materials.
I work with publishers on non-fiction books and educational materials. For independent authors and self-publishers I can provide a handholding service from editing and proofreading to interior page design and layout for publication as print books (POD) or ebooks (Kindle mobi or epub).
I am an experienced user of Microsoft Word, including Track Changes, Word styles and templates, macros and consistency checkers such as PerfectIt (and other Office apps such as PowerPoint and Excel). I use Adobe Acrobat or Reader for PDF proofreading and InDesign for book layout. I can also work in digital platforms such as WordPress, and will happily put my mind to learning your own CMS if required.
I am currently the CIEP's information director and joined the Council (then the SfEP) in 2015.
- On-screen copyediting and proofreading
- Page layout, styles, formatting and templates
- Bespoke templates created in Word and InDesign for DIY book layout
- Rewriting and plain English editing, including for ESL (English as a second language) authors
- Website and online content editing
- Ebook creation and formatting
- Self-publishing help (POD print on demand; Kindle, ISBNs etc)
voluntary sector and charity communications, business and company literature, annual reports, marketing and promotional materials, newsletters, websites, blogs, web content, information leaflets, government reports, research papers and publications, non-fiction books, ebooks (epub and mobi), how-to guides, manuals, educational textbooks and materials
plain English, social policy, not-for-profit, NGOs, business content marketing, public and legal information, wildlife conservation, sewing, crafts, memoirs, self-help, travel
Examples of clients I have worked for:
- RISJ (Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, University of Oxford)
- RCR (Royal College of Radiologists)
- CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity)
- ALLi (Alliance of Independent Authors)
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
- Isle of Man Government
- Businesses and independent authors
- NGOs (eg Natural History Museum, Unicef, Manx Ornithological Society)
- Publishing project managers (eg Scriptoria, Just Content)
- Universities and research bodies (eg UCL, King's College London)
- Design and media agencies (eg Ave Design)
- Educational publishers (eg Macmillan Caribbean, International Baccalaureate)
- Book publishers (eg Handspring Publishing, Eclipse Publishing & Media)
- LLB Law (Scots), DipLP Diploma in Legal Practice
- MPhil Child Studies
- Basic editing (Publishing Training Centre)
- Basic proofreading (PTC), with distinction
- CIEP/SfEP courses: Plain English for Editors, Editing with Word, Web editing and proofreading, On-screen editing 1 and 2, Brush up your grammar, Introduction to proofreading, Introduction to fiction editing, Practical mark-up of PDFs
- Joomla! essential training (Lynda.com)
- InDesign CC: Epub Fundamentals (Lynda.com)
I have been a freelance editor and proofreader since 2003. Before that I worked in information and publications roles in the non-profit / charitable sector, after a brief spell as a solicitor.
- Information officer, Federation of Community Work Training Groups
- Information worker, National Tenants' Resource Centre
- Information and resources worker, Save the Children Child Poverty Resources Unit
Thank you very much for the edited article. It is beautifully edited. I like that you have kept the neutral tone …
Alexander Filmer-Lorch, Inside Meditation
I think you really got a great handle on the right tone for the magazine with the last two pieces you worked on – the edited versions read really well, so you're definitely "in the zone" very quickly with Second Nature, which is great news for us!
Louise Kittle, Natural History Museum
What a conscientious job you've made of the editing! Thank you … I'll look over your suggestions during the next couple of days; on the face of it they all seem eminently sensible to me.
John Berryman, Macmillan author
Thank you very much for returning the proofs, they arrived this morning. You have done a Herculean amount of moving around. It all looks clear enough to me …
Louisa Browne, Macmillan Caribbean