I am a freelance copy-editor, proofreader and writer with nearly one and a half decade's experience in working for publishers and businesses. My main subject areas are medicine and health, and social sciences and humanities. I am experienced in working closely with other people as part of a team, both domestically and internationally, while integrating my work into a company work-flow.
Over the years, I have had the pleasure of working with international publishers, businesses and authors. I have taken on everything from books and journal manuscripts, B2B magazines and press releases, to website copy, and even high-profile events invitations for a variety of clients from different backgrounds.
Skills and expertise
- Copy-editing (on screen) and proofreading (on screen using Acrobat’s in-built mark-up tools)
- Many types of publication and media including books and journal manuscripts, multi-author texts, textbooks, magazines, business communications including company reports, website copy and press releases
- MS Word styles, templates and macros
- UK and US English (Anglicising or Americanising)
- Style guides including New Hart's Rules, Butcher's, Chicago, APA and plain English
- I also work with in-house company style guides
- Medicine, including oncology, palliative care, geriatric medicine, dentistry, cosmetic surgery
- Humanities, including English literature, history and culture
- Health and well-being, including sports science and yoga
- Trade publications and websites, including recruitment and employment issues, corporate literature and reports
- Freelance since 2014:
- publishing clients include Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Hodder Education, Whitefox, Quintessence Publishing, KVM Books, Copernicus Publications, Oxford Language Editing
- media & business clients include Velvet Apple Media, Open City, Tomorrow's Company, Runwild Media
- In-house positions:
- Desk Editor, Quintessence Publishing, 2010–14
- Assistant Editor, UK and International Press, 2010
- Production Assistant, Auto Trader, 2008–09
- Editorial Assistant, Immediate Network, 2006–07
- Editorial Assistant, Cava Media, 2005–06
Training & professional development
- Copyright: How to get what you want in the digital age (Publishing Training Centre) 2019
- Medical Editing (SfEP) 2017
- Brush Up Your Grammar (SfEP) 2017
- Copy-editing 2: Headway [pass] (SfEP) 2017
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and tactics (SfEP) 2016
- Editing with Word (SfEP) 2016
- Proofreading 2: Progress (SfEP) 2016
- Advanced Copy-editing (Publishing Training Centre) 2011
- Subediting and Design — Distinction (London School of Journalism) 2006
- NCTJ Certificate in Periodical Journalism (NCTJ) 2003
- Freelance Feature Writing—Honours Diploma (London School of Journalism) 1997
BA (Hons) Degree in English Literature (Roehampton University of Surrey) 2000–03
I work mainly on a PC, with a Mac as a second computer, and use the following software:
- Word 2016 as part of MS Office 365 suite (including the latest versions of Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Acrobat DC and pdf editing tools
- I can also edit in LaTeX
Anya is a highly accomplished scientific editor. She worked for us for four years editing our dental books and journals to a high standard and, since leaving us to go freelance, she has continued to edit our books in an accurate and timely manner.
Sue Newbury, General Manager, Quintessence Publishing
What a pleasure it has been to work with Anya. She took on a very tricky scientific title at short notice and carried out an efficient, high-quality copy-edit to the tightest of deadlines, sending regular updates and doing her utmost to make the whole process as smooth as possible. I would welcome the opportunity to work with her again and will be recommending her to any of my publishing clients who are looking to expand their list of excellent contributors.
Anna Stevenson, Freelance Publishing Professional
I approached Anya because of a backlog we had at the scientific publisher I work for. She was very willing to help and took on a number of manuscripts. In addition to her core copy-editing skills, she also possesses solid computer skills, which is essential because we work with LaTeX. In open-access publishing, we also have strict deadlines that we have to adhere to, but she had no problems meeting deadlines. My experience with Anya has been a pleasant one, and I would recommend her services to other publishing houses.
Meredith Gunnells, Copy-Editing Team Coordinator, Copernicus GmbH
Anya has provided us with excellent copy to help promote the work of Cats Protection and is a pleasure to work with.
Catherine Jarvis, Media Officer, Cats Protection