|Location||UK-based, with global clients|
|Mobile||07504 550 444|
Need an editorial nip and tuck? Help is at hand!
Copyediting: You've already written something, but know it’s not up to scratch. Let's finesse what you've got. It's a given that I'll check the basics such as grammar and spelling, but I'll also ensure concision, assess the concept, meaning and overall structure. Let's get ready to publish!
Copywriting: You may be struggling to find the time to write or your editorial team is under pressure. Panic over. I’ve spent my career working with words, so I’ll cherry-pick just the right ones to communicate your message.
Proofreading: Everyone makes mistakes. Let me find them for you. I'll give your project a once-over before it’s immortalised in print or online. We all know that perfection requires teamwork.
Whatever your project type, my pen's poised for action!
Subject knowledge (feel free to throw me a curve ball)
- Global development issues: climate change and the environment, healthcare, sustainable livelihoods, trade, economics, campaigns and policy, poverty, disaster emergency and relief, civil conflict, human rights, gender equality, religious oppression, ethnic minorities, community rights-based development, science and technology, corruption and transparency, counterterrorism education.
- Charity and philanthropy in the UK: issues affecting older people, social exclusion, disability, child protection and welfare, young people, faith-based organisations.
- Property and lifestyle: retail, commercial and residential architecture and design, awards, art, parklands, festivals, sports and community engagement, international travel, hotels and spas.
- Business: fintech, investment and innovation funding, human resources management, small- and medium-sized enterprises and start-ups, construction, education (mainly post-graduate level).
- Medical/healthcare: pharmaceuticals (marketing consultancy for patient experience and engagement resources), public health information, antenatal and postnatal healthcare, epidemics/diseases, water and sanitation.
- Consumer/sales: beverages, spas and wellbeing, private education and healthcare.
My type of client
I write and edit for an eclectic mix of organisations and businesses. This is what I love about my job and what keeps me on my tippy-toes. Here's a sample of recent clients:
- Charity and NGOs: Transparency International, Global Witness, Syria Resilience Consortium, Institute for Strategic Dialogue
- Public sector: Essex County Council, The Olympic Park (with design agencies), The Brandon Centre
- B2B: International Property Media, Guildprime Specialist Contracts, Nitrobox, Silx Digital
- B2C: Association of Business Executives, small businesses and start-ups working in various industries, such as postnatal and primary healthcare, beverages, education etc
- Social enterprise: Positive News, Seahorse Education.
To see more clients, click here.
- Editing non-native English
- Developmental/substantive editing
- Creative or editorial project management
- Website writing and editing
- Marketing consultancy
- Interviewing beneficiaries/customers for publication and research
- Photojournalism and international story-gathering
- Film and animation scriptwriting.
- Educational courses and materials
- Websites/blogs/content marketing
- Magazines, brochures, leaflets
- Corporate literature and internal comms
- Non-fiction books
- Annual reports
- Direct marketing literature, including fundraising and campaigning multimedia resources
- Films, animation
- Research reports and analysis/White papers.
Qualifications and training
- National Council for the Training of Journalists courses: Writing for the periodical press, Basics of subediting, Interviewing skills, Sharpening your English.
- Communications, Advertising and Marketing Foundation: Sales promotion and direct marketing.
- City University: Advanced features writing, tutored by Guardian journalist Melissa Benn.
- Educare/NSPCC: Child protection awareness and safeguarding children and young people.
- BBC Training. Production Team Workshop.
- Aberystwyth University: BA Drama/Theatre Arts and Stagecraft.
- I am also a professional member of the ProCopywriters' Alliance.
- Life before freelancing... I have 12 years' experience working in-house in marketing and communications for large NGOs. At the start of my career, I worked in scheduling and transmissions for BBC Programme Acquisition and as an assistant to three executive producers in BBC Single Drama and Films. A highlight was standing behind Doctor Who in a queue in the BBC canteen. ;-)
Portfolio (need hard evidence?)
It's not all talk – take a look at my print and online portfolio here.
Let's talk bees and honey (money)
What does a copyeditor, proofreader or copywriter charge?
My prices start from:
- £28 an hour for proofreading
- £40 an hour for copyediting
- £50 an hour for copywriting
- £50 an hour for photojournalism/editorial project management.
My day rate starts from £290.
Get in touch and I'll get a wriggle on!
Jo Johnston is a highly versatile and reliable writer. I commissioned her freelance services at short notice and was delighted to find that she was quick to interpret what was needed and able to produce accurate copy well within deadline. The work involved creating content for an extensive international brochure sourced from text that was often in broken English and sometimes over technical for the readership.
International Property Media
Jo was extremely thorough, flexible and adapted to our organisational style. She was well worth the fee she charged and I would highly recommend her.
An extremely creative, helpful and conscientious copywriter who quickly understood the brief and delivered words that got under the hood of the services we provide. Just as importantly Jo pushed the boundaries of that brief to bring us fresh insights and possibilities.
Guildprime Specialist Contracts Ltd
Jo has copyedited a number of reports and academic publications for ISD. She is extremely effective. When I send Jo work to be copyedited I can rest assured it is in good hands, will come back to us promptly and in great shape. We will continue to use Jo for all of our reports!
Institute for Strategic Dialogue
Jo is a true professional. Her approach of getting to know you and understand what you want to achieve through your writing was refreshing and enabled me develop a sense of trust and confidence in working together. I appreciate Jo’s creative and technical experience together with her sense of humour.
Ashvale Consultancy Limited