



Chartered
Institute of
Editing and
Proofreading

Minutes of the annual general meeting 2023

Parts 1 and 2





Chartered
Institute of
Editing and
Proofreading

Minutes and transcript of the annual general meeting of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)

Part 1: Monday 20 November 2023, 12:00–14:00 GMT, online Q&A

Total attendance: 64

Members

Council

Chair: Louise Harnby (LH)

Community director: John Ingamells (JI)

Conference director: Beth Hamer (BH)

Digital services director: Richard Hutchinson (RH)

Information director: Abi Saffrey (AS)

Membership director: Cathy Tingle (CT)

Professional standards director: Janet MacMillan (JM)

Training director: Hester Higton (HH)

Vice-chair: Denise Cowle (DC)

Staff and guests

Interim CEO: Paul Wilson (PW)

External financial adviser: Mark Robinson (MR)

Chair's opening statement

LH: Hello, everyone, and welcome to the first part of the CIEP's annual general meeting. The time is 12.02 and it's my pleasure to declare Part 1 of the 2023 AGM open.

My name's Louise Harnby, and I'm the chair of the CIEP. This is my first time in the seat and it's my pleasure to be here. Now, for those of you who are here for the first time, the CIEP is run by a governing body – the Council – in accordance with our governing documents: the royal charter, our bylaws and our regulations, and there have to be at least 8 seats filled on the Council.

I'd also like to take a moment to remind us all what the purpose of the AGM is. This is where the Council and staff explain their management of the Institute, over the previous financial year, to the members via the annual and financial reports, which are available on the website, and where members can ask questions about that work and the other items, and also elect members to the Council.

We welcome your questions, but if you have one that falls outside the scope of governance and finance during the reporting period, I'd ask that you direct it either to the interim CEO or to a member of the Council directly. That will ensure that we keep to time and focus on the items on the agenda.

One other thing: This year, questions posted in the chat will be checked before they're made visible to all attendees – just standard moderation to ensure that we stay on track.

I'll now share the agenda on my screen, but it's also available at ciep.uk/agm-2023 along with the standing orders if you want to look at it.

The other thing to mention is that we'll make a recording available after the meeting for those members who can't attend.

For this meeting, you can participate by using the Q&A function at the bottom of your screens. And it would be helpful if you could indicate which item you're referring to when you post a question or comment. My colleague John Ingamells will then read out the questions at the right time.

So now I'm going to ask the other Council members, the interim CEO and our external financial adviser to turn on their videos and mics. Thank you, everyone.

Introductions

LH: So I'll go first. As I've said, my name's Louise Harnby, my pronouns are she/her, and I'm the chair. My focus is governance, strategy, the reform of operations, and oversight of our legal framework. I also chair Council and Institute meetings. So I'll now call out my colleagues' names in turn and then they'll come on screen and speak. Denise, over to you.

DC: Hi, I'm Denise Cowle and I'm the vice chair. I work with the chair on a structural pathway to governance reform, and I also advise on marketing initiatives to increase sales and income.

Jl: Hello my name is John Ingamells and I'm the community director, which has two functions; that is I oversee what goes on on our online forums; I'm also a forum moderator and act as a link between the team of moderators and the Council, and work with them to make sure that the forums remain the helpful and professional

space we all want. I also oversee the work of all our local groups, specialist groups, and that sort of thing. So, I work with all the group coordinators to ensure they're happy about what they're doing and answer any questions for them. In the last year we've published a guide for group coordinators to help them with their work, and I make all the zoom bookings.

BH: I'm Beth Hamer and I'm the conference director, and I organise our annual conference, which is everything from finding the venue to booking the speakers and putting together the programme, and then reading all your lovely feedback afterwards and making sure that we take into account as much of it as we can.

RH: I'm Richard Hutchinson, the digital services director. I look after the CIEP's digital presence both external, like the website and emails, and internal such as the forums, making sure they're all running and all the various bits of software that we use to try and keep all the plates spinning at the same time.

AS: Hi, I'm Abi Saffrey and I'm the CIEP's information director. I oversee the editorial side and production of our information resources such as our guides, facts sheets, and the blog, and support our members and non-members in their editorial practice.

CT: Hi, I'm Cathy Tingle. I'm the membership director. My focus is on membership experience and journey – including our benefits offering to members.

JM: Hello, I'm Janet McMillan. I'm the CIEP's professional standards director. Not surprisingly most of my remit falls under the standards pillar. In the main I deal with upgrades, and trying to smooth the path for people with complaints under the Code of Conduct, and CPD.

HH: Hi, I'm Hestor Higton and I'm the training director. And as that suggests, I'm responsible for everything to do with the CIEP training offering, and professional development from online courses to virtual learning courses and offerings that we provide to external organisations. I also oversee the tutor team, the learning and professional development committee, and the team who work on the online learning platform.

PW: I'm Paul. I'm the interim chief exec for the CIEP. I've been with the team for five months now, since about June time, and I'm really enjoying meeting members, working with the council and doing all the things I need to do to help push the CIEP forward.

MW: Hi, I'm Mark Robinson and I'm the external financial adviser. We process everything from the invoices on a day-to-day basis, to paying people, producing monthly reports, management reports for the council, and also this year I've been working on an operations basis with the council and recruiting new staff for the office.

LH: Thank you, everyone. You can all disappear again now.

Agenda items

LH: And so to the business. Now what I'll do is share the agenda. Hopefully you can see that. So our scheduled hour and a half will likely fly by, and while we'll do our best to get through all the questions, if we run out to time we'll answer any questions in writing afterwards.

Don't forget that we previously invited questions and comments in writing for the annual report and published a response in a paper on the AGM web page, so I hope you've all had a chance to look through that. So let's get cracking.

Item 1: Apologies

LH: I've received apologies from Melanie Thompson. She's submitted a couple of questions, which we'll answer during the relevant part of the agenda.

Item 2: To approve the minutes of the 2022 AGM of the CIEP

LH: The draft minutes are on the website so I hope everyone's had a chance to read through those. John, have there been any questions about the minutes?

Jl: No.

Item 3: To accept the 2022/23 annual report of the CIEP Council

LH: So we went for a new look this year, following a nudge from Paul, and we really hope you enjoyed reading it. Melanie Thompson submitted a question about the annual report, which is:

What process does the Council employ to decide how to focus its activities on our behalf? For example, what proportion of effort is for increasing/maintaining membership levels, addressing the Objects of the Charter and promoting the Directory?

She also asks for more information about work completed/planned to raise membership, and what delivery targets are set. And also what actions can individual members take to assist with boosting membership levels?

Thanks for that question, Melanie. In terms of the process the Council uses to focus on various goals, well, because this work has been done by volunteers with limited capacity in the past, we've tended to focus on methods that give us the biggest bang for our buck in terms of growing membership, raising awareness in a PR sense and

promoting the directory. That's been the case historically and it's why developing the website over the years – something that's findable in the search engines – has been so important, and why we added the extra pages about the website's visibility to the annual report. But, we can't say that there's a formula as such where x% of time goes on this and x% on that. It's more about responding to what works, testing new methods to see what the result is and trying to improve.

And as you know, we're building a new and improved digital CIEP community platform that will be core to building visibility further. And as you also know, we recently welcomed Nicola Richardson to the team as membership and marketing manager, which is incredibly exciting. She's literally getting her feet under the table. And so because of both these things it's far too early to say what specific activities we'll be carrying out – not when we're still in platform-build and staff-onboarding stage.

But of course, we'll continue to update you via newsletters and emails about how our work to run and grow the Institute in line with the strategic plan is panning out.

As for what members can do, many of you are already doing it – you're linking to the Institute on their websites, in their podcasts, their blogs, other content on their websites, mentioning it in conversations at events and in their social media engagement, and that stuff is really brilliant and positive.

Paul, would you like to add anything about this marketing and membership growth work going forward in addition to what I've said?

PW: You've said lots. And you know if we were all doing this and all achieving that, I think we would be completely blasting off into space. I think what I would like to add to that is helping people to understand how we see different people doing different roles from the office's point of view. As you know, Nicola has now joined us as membership and marketing manager and I'm very much looking at her work once we can actually get her going. She's got lots of things to do to start off with, not least just learning about the Institute and the members and everything that goes on around membership. Half her role as such will be very much about looking at what I call the internal marketing side of things, which is very much around marketing in terms of getting to not only the membership but the people who are just beyond membership.

So, it's people who are thinking about maybe joining the Institute and other people within the profession more generally, who want to understand what the institute is there for and how it may be able to help and support them. The chief executive, the permanent chief executive, when they come on board, I would like them to cross over that and also be looking more at what I'd call the external market, which is going not just the profession but going beyond that and helping the wider world to be able to understand exactly what the Institute does, what it's here for, the professional

standards that it's promoting to help draw people towards the Institute and its members for the professionalism they can add, and to promote and gain a greater understanding of what the whole editorial profession is all about

LH: Thank you Paul.

Item 4: To approve the accounts of the CIEP for year to 28 February 2023

LH: As you'll see, for the first time we're reporting a deficit this year, though we've addressed where that's come from in the Q&A section of the paper, the report. Paul and Mark are here to answer questions about that. Melanie Thompson also submitted a question, which is:

Considering that there is always a flow of people on the Council, and that CIEP members are in general very good at working cooperatively, what steps or measures is the Council taking to ensure:

- that Council discussions and decisions do not fall prey to 'group think'?
- that major decisions are fully costed and implementable as medium- to long-term solutions?

Thanks for that question, Melanie. And you've nailed down exactly why recruiting a CEO who works closely with the external financial adviser is so important. It's why those two people and the chair and vice-chair meet weekly. And so we've been working really hard to create a governance and operational structure where the *doing* is done by the operational team of permanent staff, and where the members who step up for Council roles are focused more on strategic thinking – asking questions, sharing ideas and solutions, and bringing our knowledge of the CIEP membership culture to the table ... That process is still in a transition period, there's a lot of work to do, but that's where we're heading.

And so now we have an interim CEO, and he and the EFA are specialists in operational management at a senior level. Every single change we've made in the current financial year, including decisions about office location, systems development, professional line management of staff, and appropriate recruitment of staff have been carried out with the oversight of Paul and Mark to ensure the investment is reasonable and responsible. The permanent CEO, once they're on board, will ensure that that continues. Paul, would you like to add anything else?

PW: Again, I think you've added a tremendous amount there. I think it's important to help people understand more about me and what I've been doing with Mark over these last few months, and to help all of the Council understand more about what I can add and what a future chief executive will be able to add in terms of making sure

that all the processes and procedures work correctly to be able to support the Institute and to be able to deliver what it's supposed to do, but also to help the Council members move from being very operational in their work and doing much of the work, in fact doing about 99% of the work, and to be able to help them move to and understand what their work will be more of in the future, which just as Louise says, is around strategy; it's around good, strong governance, risk management, making sure that the finances are correct and that they have the reports coming up from all of the office team of how operational things are going, to make sure that they have that true oversight of the whole operation and can bring their expertise of being members, of being professionals in the editorial world, and make things work so much better.

LH: John, are there any other questions about the accounts?

Jl: Yes, there is one from Margaret Christie.

Please explain why it was deemed necessary to spend a large amount of money dealing with complaints under the dignity policy, particularly after it was decided to replace the policy that was in place when those complaints were made.

LH: It was deemed necessary to spend on making sure that the complaints were handled effectively. I don't really know what else to say to that. And yes, we did make changes to that policy to improve it because we realised that one of the difficulties in dealing with complaints is that no one complaint is ever the same and so at each point you have to assess what's the most reasonable way to handle a complaint so that it's fair for the complainee and the complainant. And so there are some difficult decisions to make and sometimes they're expensive. We spent when we needed to spend. That's all I can say really.

Item 5: To appoint 10ca as examiners for 2023/24

LH: John, have there been any questions relating to 10ca?

Jl: No.

Item 6: To agree subscription rates for 2023/24

LH: So this year you'll notice that we've gone for flat-fee increases for the individual membership grades (except for friends and retired members). And the reason for that is that Paul was concerned that if we continued to use percentages, the differential between the professional grades and IMs and ELMs would continue to escalate, and that this could become a deterrent to upgrading. Paul is there anything you'd like to add? Notice how I kept it a bit brief that time!

PW: No, it's lovely that you should be able to do that, and fantastic that I can help explain anything, any knowledge that I'm bringing to the Institute. But, yes, I am always concerned about differentials and the difference between those people on the more senior grades and those who are just entering the profession, and if over time that that differential becomes greater and greater then it means it's a great disincentive to people wanting to move up.

And of course, as part of the Objects of the Institute, of the charter, it's important to make sure that we are bringing as many people up to those higher levels as possible and we don't want just the cost to be a disincentive in any way at all. So I think this is the kind of thing that should be debated, I'm sure, by the Council in the future – how those two may be drawn closer together so that – and many institutes have it – it's maybe only ten or twenty pounds in between the top and bottom. Because everybody's a member, and most members are able to access similar kind of benefits, and so it's really important that you can draw the two ends of the scale, draw them towards each other so over time, if that's what the Council decide, that's something that could be done over the longer term.

LH: Thank you, Paul. John, have there been any questions relating to the subscription rates?

Jl: No.

Item 7: To agree fees for 2023/24

LH: These are the fees related to upgrades. Owen Gregory has asked a question about the disproportionate increase of the fee for upgrading to Professional or Advanced Professional membership and expressed concerns that this could be a hurdle that verges on, what he called the punitive.

Thanks for that question, Owen. So the thing that members might not know is that the cost of processing an upgrade at PM and APM levels exceeds by some considerable degree the fee that we actually charge – they cost on average £190.

Paul, Mark and the Council discussed this, and while we all agree that the Institute should continue to subsidise professional development in the longer term, there has to be a better balance, so that the individual member who's upgrading to PM and APM is contributing a fairer proportion. However, going forward, we'll be looking at ways of streamlining the process. Paul or Mark, is there anything you'd like to add?

PW: No, all I can say to that point is that on the annual report, towards the back, we've got the strategy on a postcard. Under professional standards it says there about creating a more efficient upgrade pathway. So it's there as a commitment that's one of

thing things we want to be able to do. And I think that's just really underlining the point you've made. We want to make that as efficient as possible, but to make it as thorough as we possibly can to ensure we maintain that quality. Can we achieve all these things? I think we can. I think there are ways of doing it and there are systems and processes that we can employ to be able to support that process in a much better way. These are things that will all be supported by the new systems that we're bringing into place, and so I would suggest that next year we will be able to start looking at those things far more closely and look at how we can make some stepped improvements and start to bring down the overall cost, so that we can achieve a much better balance into the future of those costs.

Item 8: To elect members of the Council

LH: So because of the transformation work the Council is doing with Paul to shift operations firmly into a permanently staffed office, directors are tasked with supporting that strategic journey. And so this year we've recruited to strategic interests. The remit focus is still there, but as the job descriptions show, there's a strong focus on change that aims for a decrease in *doing*, and an increase in *thinking*.

You're welcome to ask the candidates questions, but please remember – this isn't a hustings, and candidates have already provided statements about their proposed suitability. However, if you want clarity about the change in focus, or there's something you didn't understand in the candidate's statement, you're very welcome to ask.

First, I'll read out the names of candidates along with a list of proposers and seconders.

- John Ingamells is standing for director with a strategic interest in community, and he's proposed by Sarah Patey and seconded by Bhaskar Raman.
- Denise Cowle is standing for director with a strategic interest in financial stability, and she's proposed by Louise Harnby, me, and seconded by Beth Hamer.
- Abi Saffrey is standing for director with a strategic interest in professional development content, and she's proposed by Lydia Wanstall and seconded by Cathy Tingle.

Are there been any questions about the candidates for election to the Council?

Jl: None have been posted.

Item 9: Any other business

LH: Let me just stop sharing my screen. Are there any other questions at all, John?

Jl: We've just had once in, with regard to any other business, from Margaret Christie, to say that:

I hope you will comment on Melanie's suggestion that members should receive agendas and minutes of Council meetings including votes for and against any major decisions.

LH: So, in the issues of the newsletters we send out, like Council News for example, we do include items that are discussed within meetings. We don't include full minutes. Actually, we don't tend to record very discursive minutes. Paul, I'd be interested to hear your expertise, having worked at the ITI for so long, for example, about dealing with this kind of thing because there is a balance to be got I think in terms of how much information you give to members especially when some of that information may be confidential, or sensitive. Would you like to share your views on it?

PW: Yes. I think one of the most difficult things is to understand how much information has to be shared because as you say, there is such a variety of information that is being discussed within the Council itself, and because of the very nature of that, and some things are clearly just discussions and cannot be shared really because of that [because] if every single word that's being said – if that was the kind of verbatim minutes that were given – then not only would it take forever to write them up but also I think the way people read into things that are said then it is quite dangerous really in some ways.

How much should we share? How much shouldn't we share? I think that's something that's worked out I think over time ... the needs of members and how much information they need to be reassured that the Council is delivering what they want. And I think with so much of that, so many of the changes that are currently taking place, and bringing in myself, and having a future permanent chief executive, but also having a very good website, community platform, we will be able to share so much more about what's going on within the Institute in a more general way and a more broad-based way. I think we'll be able to develop far more about how much people need to know about the kind of the real day-to-day governance that's going on in Council meetings. And I think that there's a little bit more to be discovered there.

LH: Yeah, particularly the way that our roles are, the way Council operates, literally that *doing* stuff, is changing so much. You can envisage a point two years from now where most of that nitty gritty of information is stuff that's going on in the office. And

we've never traditionally, historically, reported on what the office manager is doing on a day-to-day basis.

PW: Yeah, lots of things will change, and I think we will, over time, work our way into what that future will be.

LH: Thank you for that.

Jl: One question, Louise.

LH: Yes, I've just seen it, Margaret Christie asks:

Why is it considered confidential how many founder members are still members?

Umm, I don't know. I don't know is the answer. Does anyone else on the Council have any historical knowledge? Or Paul, do you have any experience from your previous life as to why we might keep that confidential?

PW: I think the only thing I would say there is some members opt out of the directory, and they do that for various reasons. And I guess there's a level of privacy that we should respect, so I would have go back in to the kind of documents and terms and conditions of membership to be able to fully understand, you know, how much information we might be able to give away there. But I think we have to respect the fact that not everybody wants to be – they may want to be a member, but they don't necessarily want to be found.

LH: It's a GDPR issue then.

PW: Yeah, yeah.

LH: Are there any other questions?

Jl: No.

LH: I have one item. It's not really a question, it's a statement. I want to thank you – our members – on behalf of the Council and staff for the trust you've placed in us this year. I've said this before at the conference but this is the AGM so it would be nice for it to be on record. You know, there's been a lot of change and we're grateful and would like to thank Paul Wilson and Mark Robinson and all the members of staff who've joined us since January. The change is off the scale, and it's incredibly hard work, but what I think we'll see at the other end is an Institute where more members want to stand for Council and help steer the organisation strategically, *and* fewer barriers to doing that, because it won't require such a huge time commitment or such extensive remit experience. That's what our excellent staff are for. So, exciting times ahead.

Someone else has posted another question: that the number of founder members is surely not a GDPR issue. Yeah, so, Anne Kingdom's asked the same thing. I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head who, which of those founder members are still members. I don't have the data. I'd be interested to know why people, why three of you are interested in that type of data if you've got time to type. That might give us a sense of, help us come to some conclusions. Denise?

DC: I've just been doing a little bit of digging and there's a page on the website which lists our honorary members, and quite a number of them are our founder members, but I can't say that it's an exclusive list – a complete list of our founder members. But it is there and it lists ... I can just see from the number of names. Quite a number of them are definitely our founders but I'm not saying it's an exhaustive list.

LH: The other thing is, I'm not quite sure with our current database whether we even list [that information] in the past. So tell me how many APM's there are, tell me how many ELM's there are – we could give you that figure right this second, right up to what's happened since Diane put the last bit information in the database. I'm not sure that we record founder members as such in that way, so it's not necessarily sort of secrecy, it's about the way the current database functions and the kind of information it holds and why we hold that information. So we need to know what membership grades certain people are in order to make sure that they get various benefits or access to various things. So there is genuinely no reason why we would to keep this sort of secret squirrel ...

PW: Louise, if I can just add there as well, I think going back to Kat's comment that was in the questions there, it's not so much a case of not wanting to share the number, but certainly we shouldn't share the names of that, but we could do a bit of research to find out who they are and what that number might be. I have no problem at all with sharing the number, but there is a bit of work to be done just as you say. It would need quite a bit of delving.

LH: Yeah. Are there any other questions?

Jl: No, no more posted Louise.

LH: Oh, Margaret's just posted:

It is just a specific example of a level of secrecy ... a reluctance to share information that I've experienced over the past year.

As I said, unless I've been unclear, we're not looking to keep that data secret, those numbers secret. There's no reason to keep that number secret. If you've asked for that data, Margaret, at some point, and been told it's confidential, or if someone hasn't given it to you, it may have been because the amount of time it would take to

go through and find that data is when it's not clear what the reason for having it would be, what use it would be put to, it may have been a capacity issue. That may have been another thing, and that's all I can say in relation to that.

Certainly, I want to reiterate that, you know, the Council have no interest whatsoever in keeping things secret from members. The work that we and the operational executives do is to make this Institute ... continue to enable it to be the very best it can be for editors and proofreaders. And it takes an enormous amount of work. A lot of that work in the past, until recently, has been done by volunteers, people whose full-time jobs are editors, and so there's always been a capacity issue. And what's exciting is that we're moving to a stage now where the Council will start to function in a very different way, and that allows the day-to-day executive operational role to be carried out by people who've got the skills to do it. And I really do hope that more members will want to join Council because they'll see it as an exciting opportunity to work with that executive team rather than being afraid that they might have to take on another full-time job. I do think there's so much opportunity ahead and we're seeing the results of it now. So thank you all for being a part of that.

LH: Ayesha's asked a question.

JL: Do you want me to ask that one, Louise?

LH: Yeah.

JL: This is from Ayesha Chari:

Is there a timeframe for when the new member platform and Institute website will be made live? If yes, can you share that with members? If not, why not? It's a long time since this work was first begun and even with the chaos of the last few years it seems a really long time since chartership and rebranding, neither of which sadly was formally celebrated because of the pandemic. It would be good to show off the world how the institute is growing

LH: Paul, would you like to ... you're leading on that work. Can I just say, actually, before you do Paul, is that yes, it has taken us a long time. My goodness, we've come to realise what an enormous job this is, and that was pretty much being handled by one person before our interim CEO joined us. Richard Hutchinson had almost pretty much been solely responsible for what was a job that was too big for one person. And thank goodness we've now got a team whose job it is to do that so that Richard can continue to support digital services but have a life beyond that. In terms of what our future plans are, Paul over to you.

PW: Yeah, happy to share that. When I came in, Richard, as you said, had taken things to quite an advanced level, and we've kind of taken things on from there. And with

taking on a digital services officer, but with them also other members within the team, it's meant that we can push things on faster, and our targets for delivering the new website – and the new database that will back that up – are the very early months of next year. I can't give an absolute precise date as these things do fluctuate. I know when I want to have it ready, but I can't over commit at this stage. As we get through the next month or two, that will become more and more absolute as and when we will deliver it, but I can say it will be before spring next year. Absolutely.

LH: Any other questions?

Jl: I understand someone's got their hand up.

LH: Might be something in the Q&A. Oh, Ayesha's just posted: 'before spring next year sounds good'.

Jl: No, it's come down again apparently.

LH: Shall we just give it a few more minutes in case people think of things because I did my closing speech and then there were more ...

BH: Sorry, can I just say Daphne Trotter had her hand up. If you do have a question, Daphne, can you type it into the Q&A? Thank you.

LHL: Sue Littleford has posted.

Jl: Yes, Sue Littleford: 'Is it wise to launch the new IT system at renewals time?' And she is speaking as a former IT project manager.

PW: The is a great question, that really is, Sue. You don't know how much we've got that in mind – to launch around that time, renewals time, the 1st of March next year. It so important to get it right either before or after that point, which is why I don't want to commit completely to a specific date at this point. There is so much that's still being worked on right at the very minute, and it will either be before, or it will be after, but I can't say which at the moment. But we'll make sure we do work around it ... make sure that renewals, subscription renewals, works properly whichever system we're working with.

LH: Hoping for the new system.

PW: Absolutely.

LH: But at least we've got the old one. There certainly will be a renewals – that we can promise.

PW: Whilst we're waiting to see if any questions come in, can I just say a quick thank you to the office team and new members of the office team. You'll see everybody's photo was taken at the conference last September, so if you go on to the website and look for about the team, not only will you see the smiling Council members but you'll

also see the office team members who were there as well. Nicola joined us last week – she’s not there yet – and I’m not sure who else was missing at the time but certainly Sarah, Cecilia and Diane. Donna wasn’t there, and Nicola. But thank you to all the team, who are doing an absolutely sterling job and in a very short space of time understanding so much about the CIEP and its membership, and understanding again how they can make small improvements even on a daily basis, which are making this better. That means we’re supporting members with answering queries much more quickly. Saving a little bit of money as well, you know, from time to time. We do see things where we think, actually there a better way of doing things and we can make things more efficient and work that much harder for us. So thanks, thanks to the office team.

LH: John, would you like to read our Margaret’s statement? [...] I can do that then. Margaret Christie has posted not a question but a thank you for the answer, and she says she appreciates the commitment of Council members and ‘the amount of time you devote to Council work’, so thank you for that.

Jl: Just to add to that Ayesha has responded to say: Hard to expect the team working hard on the platform to get it perfect it; good enough will be well worth the wait and at some point renewals going through it, will be a first for everyone, this year or next. And just to note that Owen Gregory also, I think, also thanked you for your answer to the his question.

LH: I think one of things we’ve learned this year is, particularly since February, that talking the talk is quick, but actually implementing the talk that’s when you start to learn just kind of what’s involved ... and I remember when we were working on this strategy document, and then chatting with Sarah Magee, the professional development manager, at conference, and her saying, ‘that was really useful, thank you, that’s ambitious’. And so that’s the thing you learn, and now that we have a robust team of staff in place, we can really start to see a situation where we’ve got this check on us almost. So council are asking questions, coming up with ideas, but then we’ve got experienced members of staff who are able to act as a check and balance to make sure that work is ... the information we’re communicating is appropriate. So like Paul just now – saying I’m not going to make a promise but here is the goal. You know, we want to be able to communicate information that we can deliver on, and we can do that, and we’re going to be able to do that so much better going forward with better systems in place and with people working those systems. Anybody else got any questions?

PW: Can I just add one on Sarah’s behalf there as well? That is that we’ve got the survey out around CPD and training needs coming up. Please make sure if you haven’t

answered it yet, please do, because the more information we've got available to us then the better the decisions we can make.

Jl: There are no more questions, Louise.

LH: Okay, in that case, it's now 12:51 and I'll now declare Part 1 of the 2023 AGM closed. Thank you very much for coming. Thank you for all your questions and comments. Please remember to vote, and we'll see you again for the results on Thursday. Bye for now.

[Meeting closed]

Part 2: Thursday 23 November 2023, 13:00–14:00 GMT, online formal AGM – results of voting

Total attendance: 52

Members

Council

Chair: Louise Harnby (LH)

Community director: John Ingamells (JI)

Conference director: Beth Hamer (BH)

Digital services director: Richard Hutchinson (RH)

Information director: Abi Saffrey (AS)

Membership director: Cathy Tingle (CT)

Professional standards director: Janet MacMillan (JM)

Training director: Hester Higton (HH)

Vice-chair: Denise Cowle (DC)

Staff and guests

Interim CEO: Paul Wilson (PW)

External financial adviser: Mark Robinson (MR)

Chair's opening statement

LH: Hello, everyone, and welcome. The time is 13:03 and it's my pleasure to declare Part 2 of the 2023 AGM open. My name is Louise Harnby, and I'm the chair of the CIEP. The other members of the Council and the interim CEO and EFA are here too, though you'll only see Paul's face and my faces on screen.

So this session is dedicated to announcing the results of the voting, and I'm now going to share my screen so that you can follow along with the results as I announce them.

Remember that this is being recorded, and the video will be available after the meeting and linked to via the AGM web page, and we'll also send out an email as soon as Beth's given me the passcode.

So Bylaw 28 states that at any General Meeting a quorum shall be 30 Voting Members, including at least 5 Council members, and that at least 20 Voting Members should be present at the meeting.

All 9 Council members are present, which means that to be quorate we need 11 Voting Members to be here – that is, APMs or PMs. So, if you're an APM or PM can you please type 'APM' or 'PM' in the Q&A box now. And, John, if you could do a count for me, that would be great.

So while that's happening, while we're waiting for that, I can tell you that according to our voting record, 150 people voted this year, making the turnout 15.9 per cent. That's a decrease compared with last year, when the turnout was 20%. Another thing to remind you about is the agenda and the standing orders for this meeting. Hopefully you've already seen them, but you can get them on the AGM page of the website too. And I've popped the link on the screen for you.

John, let me know when you've got the count in.

Jl: Yes, we've got plenty.

LH: Great, so I can now formally declare the AGM quorate. So what I'll do now is go through each agenda item and read out the results. You'll also see this information on the slides.

Agenda

Item 1: Apologies

Apologies received from Sarah Donaldson and Grainne Treanor.

Item 2: To approve the minutes of the 2022 AGM of the CIEP

- For: 132 (91%)
- Against: 0 (0%)
- Abstain: 13 (9%)
- Total: 145

The minutes are therefore APPROVED.

Item 3: To accept the 2022/23 annual report of the CIEP Council

- For: 137 (94.5%)
- Against: 1 (0.5%)
- Abstain: 7 (5%)
- Total: 145

The annual report is therefore **ACCEPTED**.

Item 4: To approve the accounts of the CIEP for the year to 28 February 2023

- For: 132 (91%)
- Against: 1 (0.5%)
- Abstain: 12 (8.5%)
- Total: 145

The accounts are therefore **APPROVED**.

Item 5: To appoint 10ca as examiners for 2023/24

- For: 130 (91%)
- Against: 1 (0.5%)
- Abstain: 12 (8.5%)
- Total: 143

10ca are therefore **APPOINTED**.

Item 6: To agree membership subscription rates for 2024/25

- For: 120 (83%)
- Against: 15 (10%)
- Abstain: 10 (7%)
- Total: 145

The membership subscription rates are therefore **AGREED**.

Item 7: To agree fees for 2024/25

- For: 116 (80%)
- Against: 14 (9.5%)
- Abstain: 15 (10.5%)
- Total: 145

The fees are therefore AGREED.

Item 8: To elect members of the Council

Remit: Director with a strategic interest in community

Candidate: John Ingamells

- For: 143 (96.5%)
- Against: 3 (2%)
- Abstain: 2 (1.5%)
- Total: 148

John Ingamells is therefore ELECTED.

Remit: Director with strategic interest in financial stability

Candidate: Denise Cowle

- For: 135 (91%)
- Against: 7 (5%)
- Abstain: 6 (4%)
- Total: 148

Denise Cowle is therefore ELECTED.

Remit: Director with a strategic interest in professional development content

Candidate: Abi Saffrey

- For: 148 (99.5%)
- Against: 1 (0.5%)
- Abstain: 0 (0%)
- Total: 149

Abi Saffrey is therefore ELECTED.

LH: I'd just like to say how thrilled I am that members have continued to place their trust in these three people. They're an incredibly valuable part of the team, and their expertise and commitment are things that we're so very grateful for, particularly during this period of governance and operational transformation that we've embarked on.

Item 9: Any other business

LH: The standing orders don't allow for questions but they do allow for comments in the Q&A box to be read out at my discretion. So if you'd like to post anything in the Q&A please do so. I'm going to stop sharing my screen while we just wait for people to type. So while we're waiting for people to type, I'd just like to offer a few thanks myself.

Pulling together an AGM always takes way, way more time than you'd believe unless you've been on the Council at some stage, and it requires a lot of help from a lot of people. And so I'd like to offer my thanks to the whole team, including the other members of Council, the interim CEO, all the other members of staff, the external financial advisor, the web team, Lumi, and the proposers, seconders and candidates. You've all done a brilliant job to ensure we delivered everything on time and to order. Thank you.

And you – our members – thank you too. Being part of the CIEP is a really special thing because it's a *membership* organisation. It's a people place. And that, and its four charter Objects, are ultimately why it exists, pure and simple. And that will continue to be the case even though there's a lot of changes happening right now ... we're looking forward to telling you more about those in the coming weeks and months.

So let's have a look and see if anybody's shared anything

So, Ben says: 'Just adding my thanks and all the best for the year ahead. Thank you, Ben.'

Do we have anything else? You're a quiet bunch! I'll just give it a few more minutes ...

I should've prepared a song ... I should have got Paul to prepare a song.

PW: I have. Are you ready?

LH: Could you imagine? That'd be a first, and on that bombshell ... Well, in that case, since there's nothing else coming in, it's 13:11 and so I can now declare Part 2 of the 2023 AGM closed. Thank you very much for participating. I'll see you soon. Bye.

[Meeting closed]