|Location||Tyne and Wear, UK|
I'm a writer, reader, mother of dragons (well, girls, but they're as noisy and destructive as dragons), and Twitter addict from North East England. And an editor. That's probably the bit you care most about, if you're here.
I edit fiction and narrative non-fiction for independent authors, and I specialise in contemporary romance and its various subgenres. I can specialize in it too, if you prefer -ize endings.
I work in either UK or US English, and I have extensive background knowledge of music and performing arts.
- Manuscript critiques
- Substantive/developmental editing
- Line and copy-editing
- Back-cover copy editing/rewriting
- For a full description of what each of these services entails, please see my website
Genres I have particular experience with:
- Romance, particularly contemporary, dark, erotic, rom-com, NA, romantic suspense and various combinations of the above
- Literary fiction
- Women's fiction/chick lit
Training and development
- Introduction to Proofreading (SfEP)
- Introduction to Copy-Editing (SfEP)
- Introduction to Fiction Editing (SfEP)
- Copy-editing: Headway (SfEP)
- Start Fiction Editing (Liminal Pages)
- SfEP Fiction Editors' Professional Development Day (June 2016)
- SfEP Annual Conference (September 2017)
- SfEP Annual Conference (September 2018, speaker)
- Fiction Editors Mini Conference (March 2019, speaker)
- SfEP Annual Conference (September 2018, session chair)
- WRITE Festival Short Story Competition 2019, 2nd place
"Kia's work was instrumental in getting my book completed and published. Her recommendations along with her editing helped me take my work in the direction I now appreciate it eventually did.
Great job all around. I highly recommend her."
I worked with Kia on my second novel. My schedule was tight and Kia did her best to accommodate me which I really appreciated. Kia initially provided an honest critique of my manuscript, pointing out the positive aspects as well as highlighting weaker areas, both of which I appreciated. The feedback was thorough and I was in complete agreement with all of her suggestions. Once my draft was tweaked and finalised, Kia did a more comprehensive line edit which again was turned around within a good timeframe and feedback was detailed and constructive. Kia is very approachable and lovely to work with, I wouldn't hesitate to work with her again or recommend her services to others.
You have been awesome to work with. I appreciate all your tips, research and insightful thoughts. You have helped me so much in making Snakebite the best it can be.
I will definitely recommend your services to my other writer friends who are in need of an editor.
Thank you, thank you! I look forward to working with you again.
Kia is an absolute dream to work with. She is reliable, honest and professional. Perhaps most important when you are asking someone to criticise your work, she is also fun.
Working with Kia was so encouraging, not only because she's a lovely person, but because her grasp of my story and my voice made it easy to trust her critique. She is a huge part of the pressure that turned my initial ideas into diamonds.