|Telephone||+44 (01) 305 250433|
|Peerwith expert profile||peerwith.com|
You write, you study, you lecture, your home is far away. You've worked hard with your words.
ALLY OAKES: ACADEMIC PROOFREADING FOR YOU. YOUR OWN WORDS, JUST BETTER.
I'm an academic proofreader reaching out especially to multilingual authors/students/academics. You'll be glad to know that I often provide short explanations of relevant punctuation/grammar advice within your document, for you to use in your future writing.
- Academic and business proofreading. On-screen and hard copy proofreading. Language editing for multilingual authors.
- If these are your subjects, you've come to the right person: Social Sciences, Business/Management, Arts and Humanities.
Many academics and students across the world, from undergraduate to post-doctoral level (2016–21)
- Stratton Craig, London and Bristol
- A Thousand Monkeys, Bournemouth
- Mother Tongue (including transcreation) London, LA & Singapore
- Khatt Books: Dia al-Azzawi: Taking a Stand: Activism through Graphic Design; Abdelkader Arnaout: Designing as Visual Poetry; Cultural Matchmaking in the Maghrib; Saloua Raouda Choucair: Modern Arab Design, An Exploration of Abstraction Across Materials and Functions; Kameel Hawa: The Art of Shaping Arabic Letters; Emile Menhem: Invigorating Arab Journalism Through Design (2016–18)
- Simona Moroni, Hollywood Daze (2017)
- Jason Beresford, The Fabulous Four Fish Fingers (2017)
- Roving Press: Julie Musk, Lesser Known Swanage, Lesser Known Weymouth (2016)
- Independently published: Mike Bowles, Oh, Carole (2019); Jaroslav Perry, The Tales of Balaban the Dragon (2018); Nabil Hourani, How to be an Effective Public Servant (2018); Alan Davis, The Boy who Made Cakes (2018); Isaac Oppong-Kyekyeku, How We Christians can Change Ourselves and the World (2017); Rick Lee, The Way of the Wheelchair Warrior (2017)
- Academic: proofreading PhD theses/dissertations, journal articles and papers, and essays in Social Sciences (psychology, sociology, linguistics, education, economics, engineering), Humanities (literature, philosophy, classics, fashion, art) and Business/Management (including travel and tourism)
- Commercial: proofreading marketing and communication materials (university course descriptions, company reports, websites, press releases, interview transcripts)
- Other: proofreading personal statements, job applications, CVs
- A Copy Editor's Guide to Working With Typesetters (PTC 2021)
- Advanced PerfectIt (Cadman Training Services 2020)
- Mastering Styles and Templates (Sharon Parq Associates 2019)
- References (SfEP 2019)
- Editing with Word (SfEP 2017)
- Basic Proofreading: Digital Skills (PTC 2017)
- Proofreading Progress (SfEP) 2016
- Basic Proofreading (PTC) 2016
You can be happy that all my previous work feeds into the proofreading I do for you. A couple of decades as an English teacher mean that I can apply all that knowledge about language to your document. Re-creating and managing school libraries – well, I love reading, always have done! My French, German and (some) Polish mean that I understand the challenges of communicating in a second/third language.
Ally was willing to take on a complex thesis project with a very short deadline. She completed it early and to impeccable standards. I can not recommend her work highly enough – her attention to detail is extraordinary.
John Kannenberg, PhD
I can highly recommend working with Ally – very easy and clear communication, quick delivery and fantastic work – really appreaciate the way she commented on some common mistakes and explained how best to correct them, as these help me to improve as an author as well.
Sabrina Seeler, PhD
Great job done on proofreading our paper for a UK journal. I particularly appreciated Ally's further explanations on the reasons for her corrections. Very clear and prompt communication as well.
Ksenia Silchenko, postdoctoral researcher
As a written communications agency responsible for managing the content for many high-profile clients, it’s vital that we have an excellent and reliable proofreader as part of our freelance team. Ally fits the bill completely and has always provided an impressive and professional service. I recently commissioned Ally on a complex quality-checking job that involved reviewing and marking 450 product descriptions. Ally’s level of feedback was extremely detailed and was praised by the client. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending Ally for proofreading tasks.
Gemma Brown, Stratton Craig Communications
Ally is an outstanding editor and proofreader. She is honest, very professional, highly communicative, and it's a pleasure to work with her. I recommend her without reservation.
Husik Ghulyan, PhD
Ally’s performance is exemplary: she is professional in handling our special requests for each particular text. In addition to her attentive scrutiny of the texts, and her corrections to the minutest inconsistencies, she manages to leave the tone of voice and personality of the original author intact. When asked to shorten or simplify certain turn of phrases, her suggestions are spot on and readily accepted by ourselves and the book’s author(s). Her skills as editor, her punctuality and overall professionalism make us feel fortunate to be working with her.
Huda Smitshuijzen AbiFarès, Khatt Books
I googled, asked, read, and compared until I finally found Ally. I was so amazed by the work she provided in my thesis. She listened very well to what I needed and went through every single detail with me and provided her advice on things that were important to the work. She is so professional and definitely she will be my first choice next time. Thank you Ally for the great job you did for me.
Meshari Alsairi, PhD